Take a look at http://www.98lite.net. It can install Windows without IE, or
strip IE away from an installed system. It can even replace the Windows
Explorer file manager in 98 and ME with their 95 equivalent (which is far
less bloated and more stable). Of course, MS don't like this (it was
apparently used in court by the DOJ to prove that IE *wasn't* an integral
part of the OS as they said it was), and using it will void your EULA.

If you *must* use Windos (I still keep it around just in case I mess up
Mandrake), 98lite is *the* best way to stabilise and speed it up.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson