couple of little points I would add to that...

years ago when the www was new, netscape developed a pretty not browser and
called it navigator..

ms then came up with IE and in order to get rid of NS, they "bundled" it
with Windows, so that people who already had a browser would use that
instead of downloading one,, it worked,,,,

They are doing the same now to AOL and others with instant messaging and
media player..

do you really want to lose winamp, realplayer and a myriad of others, and
just use Microsoft media player?

do you want .NET and hailstorm to hold all your details and credit card
details and sell the use of them to everyone else??

Thats what microsoft are doing (or trying to do now.)

Also, microsoft tout full standards support for XML and SOAP (which is a
method by which different apps in different places written with different
languages can talk to each other in a standard format...)

Then they said that they will "protect their property" (which it isn't) by
adding hooks to their versions so that no app can talk to a ms app as well
as another ms app... so JAVA perl and other programs won't be on the same
level of functionality as anything MS writes.. they did the same thing with
other APPS as well, like office. it links in to windows far better then what
other developers are permitted to, the result is that the MS apps perform
better and ms has garnered another monopoly..

Also, if Ms are so full of innovation, why is hotmail (a microsoft service)
still using freebsd servers? and why has microsoft admitted nicking freebsd
code for their own apps??

and why does the MS license for their programing products say that you will
be in breach of your license if you use one of the tools you bought from us
to develop software for any other OS but windows... (like linux which they
called viral software).  yep, thats playing fair...

doesn't ANY of that make you think that perhaps they are the ones stifeling
innovation?? it should a several federal US judges thought so, and about 80
percent of industry experts appear to as well...

I don't hate Microsoft, I wouldn't be that petty... I just hate what they
are being permitted to do... (IE FORCE absolutly everyone to use microsoft
products for everything they can get away with...)

They have done even worse stuff with XP, and they know that they can get
away with it...

Think about it, the whole DOJ case was based on IE being in win95,,, they
didn't stop, they made millions selling it, all while the court case was
happening.. the same will happen with XP, by the time they lose the case and
get made to retract it.. they will have already made their millions...  and
they know it...  thats why the are still engaged in behaviour that got them
in the sh1t in the first place..

All of this is provable stuff, go and look at anchordesk.com to see ZDnets
reports on it..

regards