Michael,
  Thanks for recounting how Linux has become more user friendly since
your Slackware 2.x days. Though I have just started using Linux, I've
followed it over a few years and installed it now because I thought it
was finally reaching the point where a "normal person" could use it.
I've found it easy to install and I had no trouble configuring the
dialer and connecting with my ISP. The browsers are working fine, I
downloaded and installed Opera in addition to the ones that came on the
CDs. I looked at but did not set up a couple of e-mail clients, and
could kiss Windows good-bye if browsing were the only thing I did. I
just need to get my security firmed up and will try the suggestion
posted on this list, for which I thank you and others.

>> linux still has some problems for the average user, but at the same
time it has been rapidly progressing since the command-line based
Slackware 2/3 days. <<

I agree and look forward to the progress of the next few months. Let's
all hope that by the time Windows XP comes out, Linux will make more
strides toward user friendliness because I do think more Windows users
will be looking for a way out of Microsoft's clutches.
 --Judy Miner