On Monday 22 October 2001 06:02 pm, you wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I´ve been playing with linux (ML8.1) for a little
> while on my home machine (an old P166). Our family is
> getting to the point where we need a second machine,
> so I´m trying to decide on the merits of going with a
> PowerPC (Mac) architecture (perhaps a new Mac G4)
> instead of Intel.  I forsee my current machine being
> used primarily as a linux box (file/print server,
> database server, secondary desktop for me).  We would
> use the newer machine as the primary (user-friendly)
> desktop that all family members will be comfortable
> using.
>
> One of the things about the Mac that caught my
> attention was that its new OS X is basically another
> Unix variant.  Aside from being more stable than
> Windows, Im hoping that each machine would be able to
> easily mount the others file systems.

If that's the only reason, I would have to decline.
Windows 2000 (not 9x) is already fairly stable,
and there's the old argument about software availability.

On the other hand, if you're thinking about games
and educational software (with stability still a concern),
the Mac might look attractive vis a vis the Win2k box.

My advice would be to dual boot one or more of
your machines with a Linux/Win2K combo.

I presently have no opinion of Windows XP. I have
yet to use it.

- John