Sounds to me like you just need to learn to run the installer.
I'm sitting on a system right now that is multi-boot, with Win98, win2k,
Linux, and Solaris, managed by System Comander. No problem. The Mandrake
installer dropped the boot image on the first partition of the Mandrake
installation just like I told it to do (in my case that's hdb1).

If you take the lame road, and auto-install, then you take what you get.
One might look at the "expert" install. It offers many more options.
However, as the name would imply, it assumes that you know what you're
doing.

RTFM. It's full of magical spells & incantations. With them, you can do
most anything you want with Linux.

If you don't want to take the time to learn, and do it right, .  .
Well, my sympathy level drops quickly.

Ric

--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/