Ok Julian, you dragged me out again, and made me bite on another piece
of bait... So this is my last-last comment on this thread.

Yes, it's well acknowledged that installing Linux can, and will destroy
the contents of your hard drive. It's also well documented, so it
shouldn't be such a surprise! So will Redmond, so will Solaris, so will
BSD, so will AIX, so will HP-UX, etc., etc., etc.. Linux is not unique
in that respect (Don't anyone say it! I KNOW AIX & HP-UX won't run on
Intel platforms. But they surely will overwrite the contents of a
hard-drive upon install, which was the point I was trying to make).

Some of these OS's though will allow you to install along-side another
os, and play nicely. Linux is just such a good neighbor.
  But it must be done with care & caution. Once the partition table, OR
the MBR has been written to, it cannot be "canceled". The Linux
installer (and the install documentation) are a little light on
documentation about that.
Also, in the expert mode install, the point of no return in where it
places Lilo can go by very quickly, and unnoticed if you're not really
paying attention (it gets evern trickier when the folks at Mandrake
change the installer...).

So, that much I'll concede to. Maybe Mandrake could take a look at the
section in the installer where it confirms where to put lilo. I will
admit to blasting my MBR more than once from having missed this on a
newly revised installer. Messed with my whole week-end the last time.
Takes a fair amount of work to fix the MBR when it had System Commander
on it, and multi booting 5 different OS's!

So I'll lay down me guns. I've wounded meself a time or two with this
stuff. But then, that's how I learned to fix it!  :)

But it's like learning to drive. You _do_ need to practice, and be
careful. You can't blame the car because you didn't see the stop sign,
or know the rules of the road.

Nuff said. I'm puttin my guns back in the holster before I piss anyone
else off, and I'm SOL the next time I need help. <G>

Ric

PS: Julian; You're good sport. You'll do OK with this stuff!  :)

--
Ric Tibbetts

Linux registration number: 55684
If you want to help advertise Linux - point your friends to
http://counter.li.org/