Hi Ric,

>PS: Julian; You're good sport. You'll do OK with this stuff!  :)

Cheers Ric - you too :-)

b.t.w. In the past hour or so I went back and reinstalled Mandrake 8.1. I
was a lot more studious of options, and managed to get the installer accept
the partitions I'd created in System Commander (a simple /boot, /, /swap
setup for now) and things went OK.
My just-updated System Commander 7 saw the install (mind you, I was
previously at SC2000, which didn't).
Only problem was that my CD-ROM drive refused to see my 2ns and 3rd CDs. I
burned 'em myself, and Windows see's them. I think I've seen some mention
of this before on the list, that sometimes the faster readers are a bit
fussy of home-brew CD-Rs.

Anyway, I'm now trying to get Samba to work. A Linux share I created was
showing upon the Linux box for a while, but then it all went away.
I'm really thinking it's Windows, because when I rebooted my RedHat install
to cross-check, the shares from that install aren't working either! All I
get when I try to access the Linux box in the browser is an invitation to
put in a password for the IPC$ share!

I'll keep poking at it ;-)

j.