> > about the article, i agree with it partially.. i'd twist the order
> > of that list a little, of course... in my opinion, if you
> > are going to use linux in an office, ms-office compatibility is vital,
> > not only for in-office use, but to send and receive from/to many places
> > that will surely be using the ms suite...
>
> What do you think StarOffice and OpenOffice do? I haven't found a
> ppt,xls, or doc file that it can't read yet, keeping the format intact.
>
> That's more than I can say about M$'s various versions of it's own
> product.

hmm.. i have not found a single linux office suite that opens m$'s office
formats 100% reliably. staroffice is by far the best in my
opinion, and even with it i get glitches when importing from MS
from time to time.

( anyway i was not saying that linux is not good at compatibility. my
 point was that compatibility IS a great deal, contrary to what
the author of the article thinks. if there were no MS compatible apps,
linux would not be nearly as competitive... you can't take on M$ if
you can't do at least the same things that they can do )

on the other issues, ..yeah i'm entitled to my opinion, and so
are you :o)

i come from windows and i'm practically 100% linux now,

but as much as i love my new OS, i cannot deny that windows has a few
things in which is still unrivaled. calling Photoshop "propierary
bloatware" is, imho, underestimating it as the great tool that it is,
be it better than gimp or not. ( read: you are entitled to your...... )

oh and one more thing.. yeah i know that very few OS's were designed
with multimedia in mind, but what i wanted to say is, linux was,
as far as i can see ( someone with more knowledge will correct me here if
needed ) built from the ground up to be a very stable and secure
system, and over the years of development all the other stuff, from
GUI installs to the Gimp and freeamp ... just grew afterwards. and this
 is not the case with windows, which is almost pure GUI ( wanna call it
 bloat? ok! let's call it that >:o)

i think it was civileme that said something like " linux was not made
with sound system in mind and it uses very little bandwidth for
sound events "   well, this is exactly what i mean. i was just not
built that way. of course this will change, and i think it will be
soon enough.

at least that's the feeling i got.

i like this kind of discussion very much. i find them educative :oP
please keep replying :o)

see ya.

Damian