From: Todd Slater <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Any First Go success stories ?

> Everything was easy. Things that have gone wrong have done so because I
> tinker. It's the same thing I did with Windows95, and that's how I learn.
>
> I have a feeling I'll be disqualified from your survey because I've used
> acronyms and specified models.
------------------------
Actually, though, putting a tinthing together is far easier than the
software side today.
You are right. If the Newbie is truly new to the PC - it will all be the
same - horrific! :-)
I had a friend who developed a serious reflex problem which left him able to
handle hitting keys but not the dreaded rodent.
I printed him out the standard keyboard shortcuts for W98 and then installed
some specials for him and macros.
Now I envy him!
His sister, a totally conditioned Apple-eater was finally shocked into
silence with the wizardry "now" possible on the derided PC.!  :-{

Interestingly, it was the heart of the Apple success that it followed the
Ford Motor Co principle:
"Any colour you like so long as it's black" - coupled with the outrageous
lies of the totally brilliant marketing of the things.  There were no
options, no choices, no nothing. Even the screens were mono long after the
world had moved on.  BUT compared to how you were presented with a P.C. they
were SIMPLE TO USE because there were very few things it could do. Choices
were extremely limited.

This is what Linux needs. To reach the non-geek market. There are very few
geeks comparatively and they tend to be poor ( :-) )  There are squillions
of people out there whose first reaction will be to price. Nobody can do a
low-level low-cost deal like a Linux box can.
All we have to do is get it to work together by distinguishing the
prospects:
geeks and users
two TOTALLY different markets requiring a totally different approach and
product.

Cheers!

John

"There aren't any great teachers, there are great absorbing subjects of the
time and greatly interested students. Without the latter there is no former"
Kilneth.