On Tuesday 12 March 2002 04:00 am, john rigby wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Is there anyone out there who has simply put in the full distro CDs and
> obtained a working ( really working - Office suite, communications,
> ViaVoice, replacement for FrontPage98) and a few user utilities?
> WITHOUT RESORTING TO ARCANE COMMAND LINE APPROACHES.
> Can we even say that e.g. the Intel P3 works with it?  AMD? (Duron or
> Athlon?)
> The 8513 Chipset?
> The "X" Motherboard?
> Onboard sound, video?
> MSI Boards? (Models?)
> Asus Bds? (Models?)
>
> Anyone got Win4lin going in one go?
> Anyone got WINE to run anything? FrontPage?
>
> Has it ever happened?
>
> With bated breath,
>
> Cheers,
>
> Him

In a word.........mostly

8.2 fired up everything nicely.

Soyo Dragon Plus
Radeon 7200
AMD Athlon 1900

Only problem isn't a Linux problem and I've said it before.

I will probably have a WinBox 'til the cows come home because, in my business
I have to communicate with people in their own (wordprocesser) language.
When I get a letter in Word, I have to respond in Word to avoid obvious
problems with recipients.  WordPerfect in WordPerfect, etc.

Frankly, I don't see where that is a problem.  Linux is a tool, not a
religion.  It is doing faithfully everything that I expect, and did so right
out of the ISO.

Would that the rest of life were so simple.

Every once in a while, I stumble around in the dark and either install a
program or crash the computer, just for sport.  Crashes and other
self-inflicted wounds are becoming less frequent as Mandrake and I both
evolve.

More fun than a bowl of pollywogs.

Lee

--