On Saturday 22 June 2002 11:18 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > alias <whatever_you_choose>="<command_to_run>"
> >
> >     The command needs to be enclosed with either single or double
> > quotes. Put your aliases in bashrc at the end of the file after
> > the last 'fi'.   Try it, you'll like it ;)
>
> Thanks Tom,
>
> Your reply has stimulated my thinking, I had noticed various pieces
> of threads where people were setting up aliases and had thought of
> perhaps doing something with this device , but my knowledge is a
> bit lacking. It's obvious that for instance just to use cdrecord
> for all it's possiblities that it might well require 10 or so
> aliases, or is there another way of doing it. I wounderd whether it
> was possible to set up a situation, where you typed cdrecord into a
> terminal and all the availble choices came up, and you selected one
> and pressed enter,and the appropriate command line is then run.
> Just a thought.

  I use these,
Audio:
alias bacd='cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 dev=0,3,0 -pad -audio *.wav'
    This records wav's to a CD in CD audio format (.cda). You need to
be in the directory where the wav's are. Then simply 'bacd' makes an
audio cd.  I don't recommend burnin .mp3's to an audio CD.  Much
better results/sound quality, IMO burnin 'normalized' wav's
(normalize-0.7.3-1mdk)

Data:
alias bdcd='cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 dev=0,3,0  -data'
    but first you need to make an image, eg,
alias mkcdimg='mkisofs -r -o cd_image' tom/ /stor/avi-mpg/
     (makes an image of all files in tom/ and /stor/avi-mpg/)
      Then burn the image with  'bdcd  cd_image'

Bootable iso:
alias biso='cdrecord -v -eject speed=4 dev=0,3,0' filename.iso
    Simply 'biso filename.iso' makes a bootable CD. (hint: use <tab>
to auto complete filename.iso since 'filename' is often pretty long)

    'Course you might want to choose your own names for the aliases,
and change 'dev=0.3.0' to whatever 'cdrecord -scanbus' returns for
your burner.  Regardless of how fast your burner can burn, IMO, stick
to 8x for audio and data, 4x for bootable iso's.  Takes just a few
minutes longer, you'll get better results even usin cheap cdr's,
greater chance any cdrom can read 'em.
--
    Tom Brinkman                      Corpus Christi, Texas