On Sun, 26 Aug 2001 10:23, David E. Fox wrote:
> > Please note that mplayers web site says that soon the Windoze codecs will
> > be phased out for an (better) open source solution. (can't wait)
>
> Does mplayer work better than aviplay or divx or the other stuff that's
> out there?

Unlike other players, MPlayer has focussed almost exclusively on video
quality. Other projects have also created GUIs, skins, and other fancy things
that people don't really need. MPlayer has tried very hard to ensure perfect
audio/video sync and to provide a wide range of playing options, at the
expense of user-friendliness (everything is keyboard-based). This has given
it superior quality to other players. A GUI is in the works (created by
somebody else), and according to the MPlayer website will be merged with the
player "SOON".

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson