On Friday 21 June 2002 14:32, you wrote:

>     Rather than store the commands and then fetch 'em with cut'n
> paste, put them in bashrc as aliases.  If you put them in
> /etc/bashrc they'll be system wide. Put in your users .bashrc,
> they'll be just for that user.
>
>    Example, I use this alias to play all the .avi's and .mpg's in a
> directory (or CD).   alias mpy='mplayer -fs *'   Saves typing it
> out each time, just typing 'mpy' plays all the movies full screen.
> Even better for longer, more complicated commands.  Just use the
> form
>
> alias <whatever_you_choose>="<command_to_run>"
>
>     The command needs to be enclosed with either single or double
> quotes. Put your aliases in bashrc at the end of the file after the
> last 'fi'.   Try it, you'll like it ;)

Thanks Tom,

Your reply has stimulated my thinking, I had noticed various pieces
of threads where people were setting up aliases and had thought of
perhaps doing something with this device , but my knowledge is a bit
lacking. It's obvious that for instance just to use cdrecord for all
it's possiblities that it might well require 10 or so aliases, or is
there another way of doing it. I wounderd whether it was possible to
set up a situation, where you typed cdrecord into a terminal and all
the availble choices came up, and you selected one and pressed
enter,and the appropriate command line is then run. Just a thought.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]