I don't know....
XFree86 -version (im not sure checkout manpage)
did u install XF86 4.x.x ?
that usually does it ...
So try reinstalling it or do an upgrade
should work out & ofcourse save ur files..
if ur not sure which file is being read ... try copying it into all the
files *XF86Configure*
the search path would be found if u do a man XF86Config

Ani

" When in trouble only #man helps Man."

is appreciated.