Do u have the resolution on both monitors same?
if u have different resolutions u'll have large (for me very large exactly
1024x768 - 640x480)
dead areas around ur smaller monitor u can't use .... (where most important
apps invariably tend to appear )
im not elaborating u'll find out soon enough ...
just add the following line in ur server layout

"Option" "xinerama"             #(Carl Wilhelm showed me the light on this
one)

this will give u one large desktop spanned across two monitors ....
I dunno why but gnome doesn't run on 2 monitors like the other kewl desktops
the problem i think is that gnome isn't aware of 2 monitors ...
Kde does fine so does fwm
enlightment runs sexy ....

i think its possible to run different display managers on the two screens
???

have to look into the startx manpage or xinit somewhere

startx -- :x.x
something like this should work
Don't have a clue how to go about it though ....
;)

Cheers
Ani

::All work and no play will make u a MANAGER (eeew)
                                                -- Unknown Coder turned
Manager

is appreciated.