---------------------------------
[24] Sammy Mac on Healy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Sammy McIlroy on David Healy: "I think the kid has got what it takes if Sir Alex
chooses to use him. I think everyone knows that he has got the ability, especially Sir
Alex who has followed his progress closely. David has done it at international level
for me and if he can handle that, then he can handle the Premier League, especially if
he will have all those great United players to help him.

During the Christmas programme you need a lot of players and hopefully he will be
given his chance. He has been patient, worked hard and he certainly deserves it.
Nothing fazes him. When I first told him he was going to be involved with the senior
team he just took it in his stride. Other players would have been worried or nervous,
but he just relished it.

He had waited for his opportunity and he took it. He's waited for his chance at
Manchester United and if Sir Alex gives him his chance in these games he will take it."

---------------------------------
[23] Are you having a larf Stockport!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Stockport want to move to Maine Road when Manchester City leave and
could even change their name to Man-Stock County (no, you must be 'aving a larf). Sale
Sharks rugby union club have already stated their interest in moving to Maine Road
when City switch to the 48,000-seater Commonwealth Games stadium in Eastlands.

Stockport chairman Brendan Elwood has revealed he has had private talks with
Manchester City Council chief executive Howard Bernstein. The council will become
Maine Road's new owners when City move out in
2003. Elwood claims the First Division side's fans would support the six-mile move
from Edgeley Park and he suggested the club could change their name to Man-Stock
County.

"It's an attractive idea because, to be honest, with the crowds and
ground we have at Stockport we've been overachieving for the past few
years," reports the Manchester Evening News.

"We feel we would be the best possible leaseholders and could bring more to the Moss
Side area than anyone else who might be interested in taking over Maine Road. When
this possible move was first suggested the majority of the letters we received and
comments on the internet were supportive. For those who see Edgeley Park as a sacred
ground, I would reply there simply aren't enough pilgrims there. Name changes are
possible and when we were founded in 1883 we were Heaton Norris Rovers. But I would
want to keep some reference to Stockport in the name, Man-Stock County for instance."

City councillors meet on Monday to decide who should move in to Maine
Road.

ROW, you get 10 issues of Red News, the fanzine, sent to your door! Ideal for any Reds
mates' present, we can post the latest issue as a present which will arrive on
Christmas Eve.

Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

---------------------------------
[21] Next round of Youth Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
United youth team will play Scunthorpe at home in the 4th round of the FA Youth Cup.
Scunny beat Norwich in the last round.

---------------------------------
[20] More from Ronny Johnsen
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
"I strained the back of my knee a bit when I was about to  tackle Kevin Phillips.  I
feared that it was serious injury at first,  but luckily it turned out to be a little
strain...the youngsters did great and I guess we were more or less in  control until
Yorke was sent off."

---------------------------------
[19] O'Leary blasts the Arse
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
He told The Mirror: "All you ever hear is sour grapes from them.  I just wish they
could lose without it having to be someone else's fault.  They were beaten fair and
square in a very competitive game. Simple as that."

Now all we need is you to shut up about "my kids...this is a young side who you can't
expect anything from" and we'll all be ok.

---------------------------------
[18] Houston, we have a problem
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
The Premier League has scrapped the walkie-talkie devices worn by refs and linesmen.
Philip Don, referees' officer, has conceded his innovation of putting match officials
in radio contact has received a majority thumbs down from referees.

One senior referee said: "The walkie-talkie gear was too bulky and it was also hard to
hear messages above the crowd noise. In addition there were problems getting the
frequencies right." Rumours that they instead heard inane talk on United radio are as
yet unconfirmed.

Linesmen now have electronic flags, a buzzer alerting the referee to
anything he might have missed. Oh, so that's alright then.

---------------------------------
[17] More from Fergie on Yorke
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
"The ban puts a bit of pressure on us and David Healy could now well
be involved. It was a really good cup tie but it's a pity that controversial  moments
clouded that. Dwight Yorke did go in high, but I don't think it's characteristic  of
him and a more capable referee would have recognised the type of  player involved in
it.

Dwight is not upset because he's not that type of player. He will be
disappointed that the referee chose to give him the red card. I have seen some tackles
in the last few weeks - the Tottenham v  Liverpool game, Manchester City against
Manchester United - which  were worse than that.

If all referees abide by that I will accept it. You don't want to
see anyone get injured in a bad tackle, and Dwight did go in a bit
high. But certainly the mitigating circumstances are that he hasn't got a  record like
that, so we can hold our hands up and say it is just one  of those things."

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie still chuffed about Tuesday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
"Jonathan Greening was marvellous. In fact,  both he and Ronnie Wallwork were very
good in the centre of midfield. Young Chaddy was maybe a little bit tired after
Saturday but still  did some good things. John O'Shea did OK but can play better, but
he's going to be a good  player, the boy.

It was a good one for him tonight because he had the combination of
at times playing against Phillips - for the penalty kick he just
surrendered the space for him - and at other times playing against
Dichio. It was great for them to play in a game like this - Sunderland are a  very
competitive team whon play with their heart, so it's a test and  in the main they have
come through well.

Disappointment comes in many shapes and forms but when you lose a
game and know you have deserved better in terms of decisions going
against them, it's hard. But at the end of the game our three most experienced players
have  had to come off the pitch and they have coped well."

---------------------------------
[15] Ex-City player cleared
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Magistrates dismissed a charge of threatening behaviour against
ex BlueMichael Brown because they felt there had been "inconsistencies" in  the police
evidence.

After the case Mr Brown, 23, now with Sheffield United, said: "I
cannot believe the way I was treated by the police and how it went so
far".

The prosecution offered to bind him over but he fought the allegations.

He said: "I refused. I wanted to clear my name and prove I did
nothing wrong."

It had been alleged Brown "went off his head" after being ejected from The Living Room
 pub on Deansgate in March. He was accused of  swearing at a policewoman.

Mr Brown denied swearing at the officer but admitted shouting to a
friend about what was happening. Businessman Paul Stringer, who
tried to stop police arresting Mr Brown, was fined a total of £1,000
with £120 costs and told he was lucky to keep his freedom. Stringer admitted charges
of threatening behaviour and police assault  and ordered to pay £50 compensation to Pc
Peter Owens, who suffered a cut eye.

---------------------------------
[14] Quote of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From marketing honcho, Peter Draper

"We can create ultimate consumer loyalty. Welcome them into the family and love 'em to
death."

---------------------------------
[13] Tales from the Boardroom crypt
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Press release. "Manchester United PLC has today been informed that the following share
purchases (under the terms of the Company's Dividend Reinvestment Plan) were made on
23 November 2000: Mr C M Edwards (Non-Executive Director) has purchased 71,348
ordinary shares in the Company (representing approximately 0.03 per cent of the issued
ordinary share capital of the Company) at 240p per share. Mr C M

Edwards is now interested in 17,173,254 ordinary shares representing approximately
6.61per cent of the Company's issued ordinary share capital. Included in this figure
are 4,000,000 ordinary shares in
which Mr C M Edwards is interested in a non-beneficial capacity.

Manchester United PLC announces that it has today granted options over
ordinary shares of 10 pence each in the Company, in accordance with the rules of the
Manchester United PLC Unapproved Executive Share Option Plan. Mr P F Kenyon receives
options over 137,711 ordinary shares and Mr D A Gill receives options over 95,338
ordinary shares. The price per share payable on exercise of these options will be 236
pence per share."

Nice to see Martin Edwards taking part in the SU proposed Dividend
Reinvestment scheme!

Also a large share option wedge for Peter Kenyon and David Gill.

---------------------------------
[12] Reserve team from last night
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
United: Rachubka, Lynch, Studley, McDermott, Jones, Stewart, Evans,
Cosgrove, Healy (sub: Clegg G.), Davis (sub: Szmid), Djordjic.

Subs not used: Rose, Strange, Walker.

---------------------------------
[11] Yorke says sorry
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
He said: "I apologised after the challenge and again at the end of
the match.  I just went into what I thought was a 50-50 challenge too high. We'd  had
a battle throughout, but that's cup football. It wasn't any  different to what you
would expect in any big game."

Things are coming back together and the goals are going  in again. With Andy Cole out
of the first team with his injury, I've  had a decent run that has ignited my season
and my goalscoring. It's the first time I've been sent off and, in the  heat of the
moment, you don't really think you should be shown the  red card. It certainly wasn't
intentional.  "The boss backed me. He is always 100 per cent behind the players. I
think he knew it wasn't intentional, just the heat of a cup-tie."

---------------------------------
[10] Jack Straw shows he has the popular touch again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
"I am in favour of a Great British football team, we might start winning some games."
Home secretary Jack Straw.

"We are happy with the status quo, and to be honest I'm not sure how it would go down
with the football public." The English FA

"It's a complete non-starter with no grounds of support whatsoever in
Scotland." The Scottish FA

"To be honest I don't give these things much thought when politicians are concerned in
football," Kilmarnock manager Bobby Williamson

---------------------------------
[9] Kah pulls out but Dipsy and La La played
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Norwegian trialist Pa Madou-Kah pulled out of the Manchester Senior Cup game with Bury
due to injury.

---------------------------------
[8] United enjoy Youth Cup run
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Daniel Nardiello scored in injury time at Reading in Wednesday night's  1-0 win in the
Youth Cup. The crowd was almost 9,000 at the Madejski Stadium.

---------------------------------
[7] Healy fits in another game
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
David Healy scored twice in the 3-2 reserve win over Bury in the
Manchester Senior Cup. Jimmy Davis grabbed the other goal. A match report will appear
in our Features section from the Old Fart.

---------------------------------
[6] What a bargain
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From the official site. Go on all you prawn eaters, get on it!

"Due to a late cancellation, Manchester United's commercial department have ten
Quality Hotel matchday packages available for Saturday's game against Spurs. For £140
+ VAT per person, you can enjoy a pre-match meal before crossing the road to Old
Trafford to watch United in action."

Now what's that word for what they're doing?

---------------------------------
[5] Everyone is trying to sign Mexes now
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Roma have sent their best 007 agents to watch 18-year-old Auxerre defender  Philippe
Mexes playing tonight in the French league (against Metz ). All the  biggest clubs in
Europe are chasing him and are ready to offer a lot of money  to sign the most
promising player in France. Mexes' agent Federico Pastorello  said to calciomercato:
"I won't be surprised to meet a Roma scout tonight,  because all the best clubs in the
world have been monitoring Mexes.  Manchester United manager Ferguson was here as
well. Milan directors were  here 15 times, but also Juventus are chasing him. Ferguson
invited him in  Manchester, but for the moment he will stay at Auxerre. We need time
to  choose the best opportunity for him.

---------------------------------
[4] Fergie in the clear
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From the Daily Telegraph...Fergie has escaped punishment from the FA over his
>finger-jabbing exchange with referee Mark Halsey at Sunderland.

---------------------------------
[3] The real issue of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
How come Gary Nev doesn't possess a wooden spoon? A nation needs to be told. Perhaps
Blue Peter can hold an appeal.

---------------------------------
[2] Preliminary pre-season dates
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Thanks to Chris for sending us the info, the tentative dates for pre-season are:

Jul 21 - Kuala Lumpur
Jul 24 - Singapore
Jul 28 - Bangkok

---------------------------------
[1] Massive crowd
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, November 30, 2000 by bar-knee:
Best supporters in the land, blah de bloody blah. Man City - Cup game, chance to
progress to Qtr-Finals...and 19,513 turn up. Massive support.

---------------------------------
[32] A question for our Far Eastern readers
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Have any of you heard exact dates for United's Pre-season tour to Singapore, Thailand
and Kuala Lumpar? If so could you let us know by e.mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cheers!

---------------------------------
[31] Commentary from last night
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Alan Parry during a Red Army rendition of "And Joe Royle said" - another challenge on
Quinton without a foul been given had Alan saying "are you sure" at another ref fuck
up - the comment came however right in the middle of the song which was coming through
loud and clear and went something like this -

Reds "And JR said, is that a trophy in your cabinet"
Alan Parry "Are you sure".

Would only be amusing to reds, who would have immediately spotted the
priceless statement...Oh and Alan, it's "are you having a laugh" for the record.

[30] Johnsen injury doesn't look serious
Posted Wednesday, November 29, 2000 by bar-knee:
Ronny Johnsen says he is fit to train when the players report back on Thursday. "I
will be able to resume training on Thursday, but today I will stay at home and rest."
Major relief as it looked bad when seeing him go down with a knee injury, again, last
night.