---------------------------------
[30] RED NEWS contact email back up
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by redend:
The feedback and news addresses have been down for a while - which we didn't realise.
Wondered why you'd all been quiet the last week or so.

Anyway if you want to send general feedback then this is the address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And for news stories and rumours etc:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[29] El Til savages the FA
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Terry Venables in Match Of The Day Magazine: "By choosing to go to a foreign situation
we've chosen to say we are not a power any more but we, the FA, will show you the way
forward. Show you how clever we are because we are designer people now, we're not old
farts any more.

If Hoddle and Keegan had done well, I'd celebrate like mad. I've nothing against him
(Eriksson), he looks like a gentleman, I just find it difficult. Put it this way: I
don't think it's a good idea.  It's like saying, 'We're in the war and we've got no
generals. Well, what's Rommel doing? Is he available?' They're saying we want to
cheat; we want to win, and to win we've got to get someone from outside."

Nothing to do with sour grapes of course, from the man who, er, managed Australia!

---------------------------------
[28] Early team news for Graz
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Drinking news is it's very cold out there!

Ronnie Johnsen is still out with his knee problem but Giggs and Denis Irwin are
expected to start.

---------------------------------
[27] More on mexes transfer talk
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
>From our French correspondent.

"United,Inter Milan and AS Roma are the new favourites to sign Mexès. The  three clubs
have already started negotiations with Auxerre but the french  club wants £10m for the
18 years old! His agent - Olivier Jouanneaux - said : "His decision will be guided by
the  sporting challenge, he wants a club who plays the Champions league and a club
with a friendly atmosphere. Philippe will take the final decision."

Philippe  has always said (to Red News) that United is his dream club.
Nothing should happen before the summer."

---------------------------------
[26] Rumour control - Steve Bruce
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Brucey Bonus is set for the manager's job at Norwich (it'll be ok then Alex Notman!)
after Bryan Hamilton resigned.

---------------------------------
[25] Dave Jones cleared of 4 out of 14 charges
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Press release:

"Former Southampton manager David Jones was today cleared of four of the 14 child
abuse allegations against him. The jury in his trial at Liverpool Crown Court was told
that one of the alleged victims in the case had declined to give evidence.

Jones, 44, who played for Everton and also managed Stockport County, is alleged to
have targeted vulnerable young boys during his time as a care worker at a residential
school on Merseyside in the 1980s The jury in the case was later discharged from
returning verdicts on the ten remaining charges after Judge David Clarke ruled that
Jones could not receive a fair trial before them as they knew of the further
allegations from the witness who would not now give evidence.

The hearing was adjourned until this afternoon."

---------------------------------
[24] Welcome back Mark Wilson
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Who will play his first match of the season for the Reserves tonight after  his
cruciate ligament injuryagainst the Bitter Blues at Hyde United's ground. David May,
Luke Chadwick, Danny Webber and Norwegian trialist Kah Pa-Modu will all play.

---------------------------------
[23] West Ham tickets to go on general sale
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Manchester United v West Ham United, Old Trafford, Monday 1st January, kick off 8pm.

Approximately 5000 tickets remain and these will be on sale to the general public from
the Ticket Office from 9.30 a.m. to 5 p.m. (subject to availability). Alternatively,
supporters unable to apply in person can either telephone the MUFC Ticket Line on
(0161) 868 8010 at the same times as stated OR forward a postal application, enclosing
a letter of application/ members match ticket order form (whichever is applicable),
sae, open cheque (made payable to MUFC), or credit/debit card details (please note an
administration fee of 3% per transaction is charged).

Please note, the majority of tickets remaining are situated in North Stand 3rd Tier
priced £21 or East Stand 2nd Tier priced £23. A half price facility is available to
under 16's/over 65's. However, members can gain their usual discount on production of
the relevant documentation.

---------------------------------
[22] Pre-season tour dates to be confirmed Thursday
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
And we expect them to be the ones we printed here last week (catch up lads).

The tournament's organisers ProEvents Management and United chief executive Peter
Kenyon are set to officially announce the details at a press conference in Singapore
on Thursday.

---------------------------------
[21] Bizarre story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
A documentary about Ajax  Amsterdam will not be screened in certain Dutch cinemas
outside  the capital after threats from rival soccer fans.  The film, 'Ajax, daar
hoorden zij engelen zingen' (Ajax,  they heard angels singing there), was to have been
shown in two  cinemas in The Hague and Utrecht.

However, cinema managements received threats from people who  said they were fans of
FC Utrecht demanding the film be removed  from the programme.  A Rotterdam cinema will
not show the film after management  said the audience was expected to be low in the
home base of  rivals Feyenoord.  The film's title is a corruption of a Dutch Christmas
carol  adopted by Ajax's supporters.

Is that why Beyond the Promised Land never got a national showing - or was that
because nobody rated it!

---------------------------------
[20] Champions League disciplinary record
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Our players with cards so far in the competition - be careful Gary Nev!

Manchester United: Yellow cards: David Beckham (1), Nicky  Butt (1), Andy Cole (1),
Denis Irwin (1), Roy Keane (1), Gary  Neville (2), Paul Scholes (1), Mikael Silvestre
(1)

---------------------------------
[19] Wenger, quick off the mark as we predicted
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
The feet stamping and squealing has started already. Its not fair -
what about them...

Wenger said: "It would be mentally damaging for me and for him if Viera  was
suspended. I just don't know who is making the decisions in there  any more.  It will
make him lower. I don't believe it will affect him too much  against Bayern because
the game is too big. But he will think about  it afterwards though and it cannot help.

If you look at the incidents involving Heskey, the referee is also  in a good position
each time and it is exactly the same situation. As  with Patrick they would be
over-ruling the referee to charge the  player."

---------------------------------
[18] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
"We are definitely looking to improve our away form that is the key
to our progress this year in Europe.  We've depended on our home form until now and it
has worked well for  us but we have to take a step forward now and make sure we get
results away from home

They have made four or five signings since we last met and it's made  a difference.
They have Ranko Popovic at the  back, Korsos in midfield and a quick wide left lad
called Mamedov so  we expect a tough game.  But we know we will be in a great position
going into the break if  we can win in Graz. Valencia have a tough game in Athens
against  Panathinaikos so we could be in a very good position, but we will  have to
play well to win."

Bayern Munich, Ajax, Liverpool, AC Milan and Real Madrid have all
won it a few times and we have as good a chance to win it as any side
left in it this season."

---------------------------------
[17] Fergie...Graz to suffer?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Did you know that we haven't won overseas, or scored a goal from open play, in Europe
for 8 months (Bordeaux in fact).

Fergie said: "Most teams involved in the Champions' League seem to have had
difficulty in winning their away matches and and we have certainly  been no exception.
 We need to improve our away results if we are to progress through to  the later
stages of the tournament. But we are in terrific form at the moment so this might be a
good  time to be playing Sturm Graz."

Graz are far more aggressive now. I watched their match against
Galatasaray and it was very physical.  Perhaps last season they weren't quite tuned in
to the demands of  European soccer. But some teams grow into it and Graz obviously
have"

---------------------------------
[16] 6 million piles of rubbish
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Leeds have given David O'Leary the option to buy a stake in  the club - with owners
Leeds Sporting plc offering him almost 6 million shares - he has been handed the
opportunity to invest some £850,000 for 5,862,069 shares.

---------------------------------
[15] Lucas Radebe slams Lazio racists
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
It would have been nice if he'd mention the racists closer to home as well...

"It doesn't matter what colour  your skin is. Whenever I do hear any racial abuse I
try not to let it affect me  when I am out on the pitch. I try not to listen to the
crowd or  anyone else. All it does is make me perform better and more determined to
win  those games. I want to show those kind of people that I can play as  well, that I
am not there just to be abused. I want to show them that I deserve to be there. After
all it's only  a game of football - you can only win or lose.

And if you deserve to be in a team playing in the Champions League
then you deserve to go there with a free mind and to enjoy the game.I was saddened on
Saturday because when I was walking out on to the  pitch at Leicester, someone called
me a South African kaffir," said  Radebe. That is racist. I was stunned because we are
trying to kick racism  out of football and for it to happen at a place like Leicester
is a  disgrace. Clearly it is a global problem and it is going to take time to sort
out - but hopefully we are on the right track."

---------------------------------
[14] Top scorers so far this season
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
(all comps)

1 Sheringham Man Utd 15
2 Hasselbaink Chelsea 13
3 Heskey Liverpool 12
  Viduka Leeds 12
4 Cole Man Utd 9

---------------------------------
[13] More Collywobbles
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
As Stan Collymore was allegedly attacekd by two Birmingham fans in a Birmingham
nightclub on Saturday night, suffering facial injuries.

---------------------------------
[12] United kids celebrate
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
United's Under-17 and Under-19 beat Crewe's juniors 5-0 and 2-1 respectively.
Potential first-teamer Danny Webber scoring for the under-19s.

---------------------------------
[11] Oh Ippee Ippee
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by redend:
Ipswich Town's "fanatical supporters" [those crazy guys] have been officially
confirmed as the noisiest fans in football [in all of Suffolk - as measured by Ipswich
fans working for the local council].

Ipswich town council engineers measured the sound level at Saturday's Portman Road
game with Derby at a record 118 decibels - the same level as a jet engine on take-off.

Well the Stretty used to be louder than Concorde - taking off that is. And a
microphone placed in front of Fergie in hairdryer mode has yet to survive the
experience.

---------------------------------
[10] Heskey
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by redend:
Talking of that unstoppable rampant charging Bull elephant also known as Emile Heskey
- when Liverpool were live on the BBC playing in the UEFA Cup the other week the Mrs
was dusting round the TV and accidentally nudged the box....

...Heskey fell on his arse claiming a penalty.

---------------------------------
[9] Jeffers Blow
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by redend:
Alleged United transfer target Francis Jeffers of Everton will be out for another two
months as he must have a second ankle operation today. He's already been out for the
last 10 weeks but is still the club's top scorer (OK thats not saying much nowadays).

---------------------------------
[8] Sheep Keep Cheat?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by redend:
Sheep Keeper (is that a shepherd?) Paul Robinson has won the Carling Premiership
player of the month award for November.

Now this one is a bit of a puzzler because during November Leeds played 6 games and
they conceded goals in 5 of them! So that's one clean sheet - and eight goals against
in total. And to cap that - Mr Robinson has put in some Grobelaar like performances
recently managing to dive over some innocuous looking shots in the last couple of
games.

So, just out of interest (don't phone its just for fun) lets look at United's/Fabien's
record by comparison:

November - United also played 6 games - conceding goals in only 3 of them - with 3
goals against in total.

Hmm so that's (P=Played, CS=Clean Sheets, GA=Goals Against)
United: P:6 CS:3 GA:3
Sheep : P:6 CS:1 GA:8

Obvious then.