---------------------------------
[7] Must be too many carrots
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
being eaten in Suffolk - as how else would you explain this press release from
Ipswich.

"Ipswich Town Football Club has sold its visitors allocation of 2,500 for
the match against Manchester United on Saturday 23rd December 2000.

The Club took the decision to take up 2,500 on a sale or return basis
rather than 6,000 on a non return basis....Ipswich Town Ticket Office manager, Bill
Leggate:
"There is no doubt that a fixture at Manchester United would be create much
demand however the gap between 2,500 and 6,000 to great a risk for the club
financially. We apologise to any of our regular travelling supporters who
have missed out on this occasion."

Er, we never, ever offer 6,000 for a league match - we thinks there is the smell of
porkie pies to this!

---------------------------------
[6] Youth Cup confirmation of date
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
United's FA Youth Cup fourth round tie with Scunthorpe will be
played on Tuesday 9 January 2001, kick off 7pm at Gigg Lane. Get it in the diary to
see the next batch!

---------------------------------
[5] More ideal unofficial Utd Xmas presents
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
"A Seat in the Crowd"  by  Paul Windridge and Linda Harvey
- a great read about what it was like watching United from the terraces last season.
Written by two Reds who were there from start to finish - this is what travelling
around Britain to follow United, with all the costs, is really like. Not a prawn
sandwich in site - check it out.

Order direct from:  (link:http://www.trafford.com/robots/00-0047.html)
http://www.trafford.com/robots/00-0047.html

In the UK: From Waterstones Book Shop, Deansgate, Manchester
               and Sportspages, St Anns Square, Manchester

By post from:  MHI, PO Box82, Stretford, Manchester M32 8BX

---------------------------------
[4] More Nedved denials
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
This time from Sven Goran Eriksson. Nedved's boss at Lazio has said: "I don't know if
it's true...it is very difficult to believe that Lazio will sell Nedved. I think he is
not for sale as he is too good. It is a decision for owner Sergio Cragnotti but I have
never heard of it or discussed it before".

---------------------------------
[3] Wenger will take this on the chin
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
With his usual dignity and good grace! As Patrick Viera finally got the FA misconduct
charge for his behaviour at Leeds. Expect us to get the blame!

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie and King win more awards
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Care of a special dinner held on (well, via a marquee) the pitch at Hampden Park on
Sunday night. Law was named Greatest Ever Scotland Player, Greatest Ever Scotland
Striker, Greatest Scotland Player of the 60s, alongside a place in the Greatest
Scotland Team as Fergie won the gong for Greatest Ever Scottish manager.

Cue old joke. The gong for Greatest Ever Scottish goalkeeper. Well, went unclaimed of
course!

---------------------------------
[1] Famous last words
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, December 5, 2000 by bar-knee:
Could be Bryan Hamilton's fulsome praise of Alex Notman for Norwich.

Hamilton said: "I thought he looked bright and sharp considering it was his first game
and that the team overall played disappointingly. He just needed a bit more help out
there". All well and good - but a few hours later Hamilton has resigned and poor sod
Notman now has just signed for a manager that doesn't exist anymore.

---------------------------------
[35] Massive - City like - tits
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
In keeping with a city shirt sponsor - Eidos have been accused of a
bit of massivitis themselves:

"Lara Croft's breasts seem to have got bigger - but it's just an
illusion caused by improved technology. Eidos say the model Lara's based on - with
statistics of 34D-24-35 -  hasn't changed, but they admit her breasts do look bigger.
They also say that her bottom - along with the rest of her body - in  the Tomb Raider
Chronicles is more defined because they are using  more advanced technology.

---------------------------------
[34] Scholes enjoying life
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
"I have enjoyed playing alongside Roy and Nicky. It's  been OK because we have been
winning games - but for the big games  you will always miss players like Giggs and
it's great to see him  back. We perhaps didn't miss him against the likes of Derby but
when you  are playing the better teams in Europe, that is when you do need a  player
of his ability.

The gaffer will have bit of a headache picking the team now Giggsy  and Becks are fit,
because the team has been playing well without  them. But I'm sure he will work his
way around it. Unfortunately there are just 11 places and you have to be hopeful  that
you are in one of them.

They have got a couple of new players, so it will be a difficult  game, especially
with it being at their place. Before we scored against them last season they had a few
chances. That's  something we can only look back on at the end of the season. If we go
on and win the treble again we might be able to claim we are a better team."

On missing the Nou Camp win

"It hurt at the time but only for a couple of days. Then you come to  terms with it
and know that you can't play. It's forgotten about  now."

---------------------------------
[33] Rovers deny Berg will be leaving for OT
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
Blackburn Rovers chief executive John Williams:

"I don't know why people keep saying there's a problem with the money.  We've got a
board meeting tomorrow and one of the things we'll be discussing  with the manager is
the situation regarding Henning Berg,. Graeme Souness will advise the board on what he
considers to be in the best  interests of the club. And we'll then take it from
there."

---------------------------------
[32] Bizarre story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
The world is a very, very strange place. And I should know - just call me
Mr.RedNews.co.uk!

>From the Daily Star. "A man has changed his name to Wembley Stadium by deed poll
>after he  was told to drop the name from his web address.
Bob Thomson said he wanted to spite Wembley bosses after they made  him ditch the web
address www.wembleystadium.net in a so-called  cybersquatting case.

Wembley bosses claimed the 55-year-old, of Aylesbury,
Buckinghamshire, was violating their trademark. Mr Thomson claimed he was the rightful
owner of the web address  because he was known by the name. He told the hearing: "I
have been  commonly known as wembleystadium.net for many, many years." He said the
reason for this was his "seven-feet-tall height and large  skeletal frame".

He enters a pub. "Hi wembleystadium.net, fancy a pint". Can just picture that.

---------------------------------
[31] Our rivals start going for each other
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
Sheep player Eirik Bakke on gave the ball to Giggs, Patrick Viera.

"The head-butting was not the only thing Vieira did to me in that
game. He also elbowed me in the face. I think he totally 'lost it' in that  match,
that kind of behaviour in a football match is just stupid."

---------------------------------
[30] Italian FA prepared to do what our FA won't
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
So what is the difference to this story and events at Maine Road then?

Napoli face the possibility of a points deduction and a ban from  playing at their
home stadium after a linesman was hit by a bottle  towards the end of their game
against Bari on Sunday.  The incident halted the game for several minutes whilst
medics  treated the linesman, as he lay prostrate on the ground.

At Perugia, Roma supporters fought with police during their side's
goalless draw whilst Juventus supporters also attacked police after
the final whistle had gone in the Bianconero's match with
Internazionale at the Giuseppe Meazza stadium.

---------------------------------
[29] What we always expected
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
An expensive new advertising campaign will tell drinkers beer is good for them.
Breweries keen to tempt wine and spirits drinkers will tell them beer is just as good
for the heart as red wine. They also claim that those who drink moderately tend to be
slimmer than teetotallers. Brewers and Licensed Retailers' Association spokesman Mark
Hastings said: "Beer bellies are a myth - they're caused by the curry you have after,"
reports The Sun.

If beer bellies are a myth what's that bloody great big Buddha impression staring
right at me, giving me a total eclipse of my feet for the last 10 years then?

---------------------------------
[28] El Til joins Boro
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
Sitting in the middle of the press conference as Robbo was pushed to the right, and
Venables now takes the role of "first team coach" for the next six months at the
Riverside.

---------------------------------
[27] Utd Sol bid off - he gets ready to stay at Spurs
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
Sol Campbell.  "It really annoys me when people question my loyalty to the club. Is
eight years of your career not loyalty? How many players have stayed  at the club that
long?. My position hasn't changed since day one. I always said that when  the time is
right for me, I will talk to the club about my situation.  I have always spoken from
the heart when it comes to Tottenham. That  in itself shows how much I think about the
club".

---------------------------------
[26] One Ferguson not a winner on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
Darren Ferguson that is. Who missed a penalty in Wrexham's 1-0 away defeat at
Peterborough.

---------------------------------
[25] Hogg - United bound?
Posted Monday, December 4, 2000 by bar-knee:
No, not Graeme!But York's under-16 skipper, Chris Hogg who has been on trial at Old
Trafford.

York's assistant manager Adie Shaw said: "It can be disappointing to face the prospect
of losing your best young players, but to be fair, Manchester United have gone about
things the proper way and we've no complaints on that score. It's up to Chris to make
a decision and we won't stand in his way if he wants to go - as long as we get proper
compensation.  But we are still hopeful that we can persuade him to stay - after all,
he's got a better chance of breaking through more quickly at York."