---------------------------------
[37] Davids banned indefinitely
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
As he tested postive at the second stage of his appeal. He has now been banned
indefinitely by the Italian FA - actual length and another appeal to follow - but it
doesn't blow our chances of buying him as we apparently weren't after him anyway,
despite what the seagulls reported.

---------------------------------
[36] Fergie supports Labour
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
At a 'do' in Gtr Manchester tonight as guest of Tony Blair - where Blair will be
speaking on the campaign trail - with Mick Hucknall in attendance as well.

---------------------------------
[35] Gary Nev a Red for life?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'M.E.N. Sport can today exclusively reveal that the Manchester United  and England
full-back is set to sign a six-year contract worth over
£11m. The bumper package will secure the 26-year-old a weekly salary of  £32,000 which
will double his money and will keep him at Old Trafford  at least until he is 32.

Neville is the fourth member of United's senior squad to commit  himself to deals in
2001 following Jaap Stam, Ryan Giggs and Andy  Cole's new contracts since the New Year.

It's another huge boost to the Reds' hierarchy who targeted the first  half of this
year for thrashing out the futures of their top names  and securing United's
foundations for the post-Sir Alex Ferguson era.

England captain David Beckham and fellow international Paul Scholes  are also on the
United board's contract agenda along with Wes Brown,  Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Phil
Neville and Nicky Butt.

Old Trafford chief executive Peter Kenyon this week said that the
platform for securing the trickiest signature - superstar Beckham -  is in place and
he is confident a solution can be found which will  satisfy both the player and the
club.

Scholes is also close to an agreement and is expected to rubber-stamp
his United future soon.

United have addressed the thorny issue of appeasing their stars by  introducing a
three-tier pay structure which has allowed the club  more flexibility.'

---------------------------------
[34] Is he - Soton - having a larf
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
This in from top Red Lee

'Just saw this on F365 - tell me, why exactly would a Southampton fan
give a rats ass if United fielded a "Worthington Cup" side ?  His team
won.  They beat Manyoo.  They got 3 bloody points.  As for the (sole)
discontented United fan they mention, he has plenty of opportunity to
get his arse to OT over a 9 month stretch each year.  Plenty of people
from everywhere other than Manchester (ahem) seem to manage the feat
often enough. Only come to see United ? You decide.'

Below from 365

'ANOTHER FERGIE INSULT'
Saints Fan Site Editor Blasts Manchester United Manager's Selection
Policy 365 Interview by Jerome Smail

ON TUESDAY, Alex Ferguson brought out his stars for Celtic veteran Tom
Boyd's testimonial at Parkhead, with David Beckham, Teddy Sheringham,
Jaap Stam and Paul Scholes all starring in Manchester United's 2-0 win
over the Scottish champions. Contrast this with their Premiership game
at the Dell on Sunday when almost all of the big names made way for the likes of
Ronnie Wallwork, Michael Stewart, Quinton Fortune and Luke Chadwick.

Saints fans still bristling at what they saw as a contemptuous disparity in team
selection from Sir Fergie were hardly placated by his explanation that the friendly in
Scotland was "a bit of a prestige
match". Keith Legg, editor of Southampton fans' website www.saintsforever.co.uk, is
angry at yet another Ferguson jibe, but not surprised.

"It's all been very insulting," Legg told Football365. "The fans
certainly didn't appreciate Ferguson's team selection and I'm sure the
Southampton players didn't think too highly of it either. Many of the
supporters I spoke to after Sunday's match said they felt cheated, and it wasn't only
the Saints fans who felt let down. There was a piece in the local paper saying a
Manchester United fan had accosted Ferguson in the car park complaining that it was
his only chance of the season to see the team and he didn't get a chance to see the
star players."

"We're used to it by now," he said. "Ferguson obviously doesn't like
Southampton - probably because he's got such a poor record here. He's
got his long list of excuses, like the famous one about the grey shirts, or the
weather, or the pitch. We've had competitions in the past to guess which excuses he's
going to come up with next."

---------------------------------
[33] Bizarre story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Animal rescue workers have found an abandoned dog with Manchester United's initials
burned into its side. The lurcher had the initials MUFC bleached on to its side. It
was found, foaming at the mouth, wandering in the street. The three-year-old dog is
being cared for at Manchester Dogs' Home.

Dog rescue worker Julie Morgan told the Manchester Evening News: "'It is one of the
sickest things I have ever seen - what he must have gone through I don't know. It
would have taken a number of people to do this because they would have had to hold him
while the bleach was put on and it must have burned him. He's so petrified of people
that you can tell he's been very badly treated - if they can do this to him I shudder
to think what else he went through. If you try to touch his back end now he gets very
upset and frightened. It is a real shame because he's a star of a dog and naturally
full of affection. I can't understand why anyone would treat him like that." The RSPCA
have launched an investigation.'

---------------------------------
[32] As Boylie put it
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
R'ham, Wycombe, Palace, Brum, Alaves or Inter, Barca, Juve, Bayern, Arse & Chelsea. A
Treble or THE TREBLE?

---------------------------------
[31] Everyone wants to mention Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Wenger:

"Every season is a new start and maybe Manchester United will be buying new players.
We'll try to buy new players. We have to try to keep the players we have and then
comeback and try to be stronger and more competitive with Manchester United."

Bobby Robson: "If Arsenal are going to buy as well again, they've got a massive squad
and they will put pressure on Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[30] Andy Cole item up for grabs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
This just in from www.bid4sport.com

'Hot Shot Andy Cole has kindly supported Barry  Venison's www.bid4sport.com website by
doing a  limited edition signing (only 100 available) of a  classic print from this
season,for the site that
donates 100% of profits to children's charities. (Primarily Peggy and Friends,the
child amputee  charity of which Barry is patron - Registered charity number 1079680)

The site has regular Man Utd items e.g Beckham signed item in the charity auction area
at the moment, and 2 other reds stars are to do a special signing for the site very
soon. Bid4sport also has signed items from the likes of Figo, Roberto Carlos, Tiger
Woods etc.

Registration at the site is FREE, and gives people the chance to own some unique and
genuine memorabilia, whilst  helping good causes, all at www.bid4sport.com'

---------------------------------
[29] So Teddy does want a move?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Re-read Fulham manager Jean Tigana's comments:

"Agents who think Fulham are going to spend here, there and everywhere because it is
the club of a multi-millionaire can stay at home. We were recently offered Sheringham,
a 35-year-old player, with a contract of £2million a season over two years and Salomon
Olembe, the Nantes midfield player, for £10million. But I handle Fulham's and Mr
Al-Fayed's money as if it were my own."

So that does mean Teddy was offered up for sale, by his agent or the player himself?

---------------------------------
[28] Nike slated
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
A 105-page report released by the San Francisco-based labour  right organisation
Global Exchange on Nike practices.

Leila Salazar, corporate accountability director with Global
Exchange, says: "During the last three years, Nike has continued to
treat the sweatshop issue as a public relations inconvenience, rather
than as a serious human rights matter."

The report states: "Nike workers are still forced to work excessive  hours in high
pressure work environments, are not paid enough to meet
the most basic needs of their children, and are subject to
harassment, dismissal and violent intimidation if they try to form  unions or tell
journalists about labour abuses in their factories."

Going to check on where our shirts are made United?

---------------------------------
[27] Congratulations
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
to Andy Cole whose wife, Shirley, had a baby daughter, Faith, on Monday.

---------------------------------
[26] Fergie on Murdoch
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Although I was two or three years older I played against him when we played Celtic
reserves. He was outstanding right then and maybe a bit small, but then became the
most influential centre midfielder of his time. He was the catalyst of the Celtic team
at that time. I always thought Jimmy Johnstone was a special player, but he brought
order to the team. He could tackle and had a wide range of passing skills which was
simply magnificent. He could also score goals and his record was fantastic and he was
great in the air and was an all round tremendous player. He was also a good guy and I
got to know him quite well over the years. What is sad is that when somebody dies
about your age and they're people that you grew up with in football, the same as Jim
Baxter, it's very worrying."

---------------------------------
[25] Our Martin spotted!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to RN reader FF for this.

'I spotted Martin Edwards and another bloke in Berners Hotel, London, W1 yesterday
evening.  Any ideas why he's hanging around the West End?!'

Hmmm...

---------------------------------
[24] As close as massive as you can get
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Spot the massive near miss.

Joe Royle said: "Players are just not readily available and the ones that  might be
are being chased by masses of clubs. Of course we would like  to develop our own
talent, but if not we will have to spread our net  as far and as wide as we possible
can."

See, they will get to Europe again this year, scouting!

---------------------------------
[23] Fergie on Stam injury
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It looks like it is a complete tear and Jaap will be struggling for
Holland's game now".

---------------------------------
[22] Fergie on Bojan Djordjic
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The lad has got a chance. He's growing and is a  bit frail but he's developing quite
well. He has grown so quickly that he has lost some of his strength but  once he
settles down I think he's got a chance. He's talented. He has  nice balance and a good
left foot and there's always something  different about left-footed players. He took
his goal very well."

---------------------------------
[21] Good to see
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bojan Djordjic get a game at last at Celtic and his goal. Lot of people have been
tipping him for some time at Utd now.

---------------------------------
[20] Gary Nev tries to save life
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Manchester United's Gary Neville tried in vain to save a fan who suffered a suspected
heart attack outside Old Trafford,. Neville had just arrived at the stadium in his
Mercedes when he saw the 57-year-old man on the floor. Neville and staff at the club's
Megastore tried to help the man, who hasn't been named. He died later in hospital.

A witness told the Manchester Evening News: "Gary was at the ground to see a few
people after his trip to Malta when he saw the man keel over. Gary rushed over and
just did what he could to help. He also stayed with the man's son for quite some time
afterwards. The paramedics arrived very quickly and later praised Gary and the rest of
the staff for doing the best they could. But Gary wants no credit - he only did what
anyone else would have done. He is very upset, as you can imagine."

A United spokesman said: "Our sympathies are with the man's family. Gary is upset and
does not wish to comment."

It's understood the man and his son were about to buy tickets for last night's
testimonial match against Celtic.'

---------------------------------
[19] Clutching at massive straws
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Joe Royle

"If you said to me what regrets I have about this season - and regret is a bit of a
strong word - I've wondered what difference Ehiogu might have made had he come. You
could be talking about three goals less meaning six points more and he might have
saved us those. That is where we have fallen down and I don't mean that as a slight on
our central defenders. Defensively, that sort of leap from £2million-£3million players
to £8million players makes a difference. I said at the time that I think Ehiogu is a
fantastic defender and I've wondered about that during the season."

---------------------------------
[18] Quick apology
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
If some of you are waiting to hear from us after sending in a question by e.mail
earlier in the week - we'll get back to you by the end of today. Blame testimonials at
Celtic. Sorry.

---------------------------------
[17] RN French correspondent on transfer rumours
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Rumours about Lizarazu may be true. Reports in France now suggest that he is
negociating a contract with the club. Bayern want £8M (a bargain).  Lizarazu recently
stated that anything could happen in the summer, he has  suggested that he may retire
in 2 years, he is 30.

Reports suggesting that Trézéguet is set to move to Liverpool are rubbish. He
recently siad that he would never move to this shithole. Arsenal, Barcelona and us are
more likely destinations for the 23 years old striker. Believe me,  this would be a
great piece of business to sign this guy.

---------------------------------
[16] IMUSA on testimonials
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Andy Walsh, spokesman for the Independent Manchester United Supporters' Association
said: "It's inevitable that a large number of people will be going to Old Trafford for
the testimonial as they can't normally get tickets. Giggs could have left and earned
more money in Spain or Italy but he chose to stay with his boyhood club and some
supporters will want to reward that loyalty."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "I don't see
why people should say there's a big problem with them. The supporters don't have to
go. It's the supporters wanting to pay tribute to a player who has been loyal to the
club for 10 years, and you saw with Tommy Boyd you had 57,000 people wanting to do
that. You can have also a testimonial if you have to retire through injury like David
Busst did at Coventry and I don't think anybody could object to that at all."

---------------------------------
[15] Tommy Doc blasts testimonials
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's ludicrous. Testimonials were originally introduced for players who had fallen on
hard times, whose career was finished by injury or in the days when they only earned
£10, £12 or £14 a week. Now players may have £12million in the bank but they still
want more. I would never attend a testimonial match and pay £20 to watch a meaningless
friendly. But if someone offers a player two million quid he's not going to turn
around and say 'no thanks'. I don't blame them - in fact I blame the public for
attending these matches."

---------------------------------
[14] Keano in Eire squads
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
For the World Cup qualifying ties against Portugal and Estonia.

---------------------------------
[13] PA confirm our story about Ole op
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will miss Manchester United's final match of the season at
Tottenham on Saturday following knee surgery. Solskjaer had surgery on Tuesday after
complaining of a pain in his knee for the last two months. The striker is expected to
be out for six weeks and will miss Norway's World Cup double-header next month against
Ukraine and Belarus. Solskjaer will spend the summer recuperating and will be back
when United report for pre-season training at the start of July.'

You heard it here first.

---------------------------------
[12] You what?!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Houllier: "It is unique for a club to win three cups in one season."

Now quite simple bit of maths here - which is better, League, European Cup or compare
them to League Cup and UEFA Cup?

---------------------------------
[11] We thought Jordi would do it for us
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Alaves striker Javi Moreno told TV Espana: "Even though we lost we consider ourselves
just winners. We're all absolutely shattered and it's an absolute tragedy. It's a
shame, but football is like that. Our public deserved everything from us. The referee
blew a lot of fouls against us. But he let them get away with a lot."

---------------------------------
[10] Houllier still on about us
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We have to start again on Saturday, we want to be competing in the same competition
as Manchester United and I know my players won't let themselves down, the Charlton
game is too important. This team will become immortal. I told them afterwards that
people will remember this great final and their part in it."

---------------------------------
[9] Could not have put it better ourselves
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fom John

"A farcical sunday league style game contested by two average teams with no top level
European experience : quite befitting a competition such as the Uefa Cup - the
Rumbelows Cup of European football."

Come on Charlton...

---------------------------------
[8] Oh what a shame
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A Liverpool fan thought he had a dream photograph of him, Michael Owen and the FA Cup
- but when it was developed, their heads were chopped off. Richard Bosworth bumped
into Owen at a Glamorgan hotel two hours after Saturday's game. His friend Tony
Viggers took the photo, but used the wrong setting.

Owen's spokesman said the player will pose for another picture if he meets the pair at
the Charity Shield game, in August.

Mr Bosworth said: "He handed me the cup and put his arm around me while Tony took the
picture. I couldn't wait to see the results and I couldn't believe it when our heads
were completely chopped off. You can clearly see the FA Cup, but the two blokes
standing next to it could be anyone."

Mr Viggers said: "There are two settings - one for portrait and the other for
panoramic. It was a real own goal by me."

Reds are here?

---------------------------------
[7] Real treble my arse
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
This in from RN reader Lee, spot on.

'I have just got down from the ceiling after celebrating Agent Cryuff's last minute
equaliser and am saddened by the talk of a "Scouse Treble."

There's simply no comparison.

Anyway, the following ditty sprung to mind, which I hope might even get an airing at
WHL on Saturday.  See what you think.

"And United said..."
"Is that a Treble in your cabinet ...?"
"Are you having a laff, are you having a laff."

I don't think Boylie's in for any permanent competition here, but it
worked for me & the lads this morning.
Cheers, Lee'

---------------------------------
[6] Another politician kicks off
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Not just Labour's JP in battling mode.

'The deputy mayor of an Italian city has been arrested after allegedly beating a
police officer during a fight at a football match. Stefano Santagati allegedly
insulted the officer who was trying to calm supporters at the match between his local
team Misterbianco and Siracusa. He then hit the officer, police say.

Il Resto del Carlino says the police officer spent a week in hospital after the
incident. The politician is due to appear in court to face assault charges.'

---------------------------------
[5] Becks out?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mirror also suggests that Becks could miss the two England summer matches against
Mexico & Greece due to the ankle injury he picked up at Celtic.

---------------------------------
[4] Blackburn for Butt talk grows
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Despite denials from both clubs, Mirror reports that Sourness is as keen as ever to
grab Butt.

---------------------------------
[3] The heads are still hurting
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
As we return back to work after the 'euro away' for Celtic - another great trip and
one of the best atmospheres of the season at a top ground. Oh, and the drinking was
quite massive as well.

A bit strange to see a stronger side up there they we have and will play for the
league fixtures since we played city.

---------------------------------
[2] Red News blatant plug is back
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Help Red News and the web site and get stuck into these offers

1) Latest Red News an end of season bumper special - issue 77 - very few copies left.
For details how to order via post contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

2) You can order - going fast - the seven available issues from this season in the UK
for the bargain price of £7 including postage. Details from the same e.mail address

3) The Best of Red News - 1987-2001 - will be published this summer and if you would
like to order a copy and to have your name listed in tbe book as a subscriber then
contact us also at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[1] The first sign of madness
Posted Thursday, May 17, 2001 by bar-knee:
Is talking to yourself non? Good to see Houllier full at it during the game last night
then...or is that Mr Lost Plot?

Just a quick tip for today - avoid all papers. Way too much YSBism - ignore it is what
we say. Oh, they get two opponents sent off, have an own goal to win the game, get a
penalty and an Alaves goal is disallowed - yes, Liverpool are back.