---------------------------------
[14] IMUSA AGM - get involved!
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
The Committee is typically 20-25 members in size, most of whom play a role in running
the organisation.  Out of that Committee, eight or nine Officers are drawn.  This year
there will be Officer posts up for grabs, and the entire Committee is also up for
election and re-election.

To stand for the Committee: Either (1) Attend the AGM in person, or (2) Write to the
IMUSA secretary as soon as possible via the PO Box or e-mail (through www.imusa.org).
Those wishing to stand but unable to be present will be able to have an
‘election address’ read out at the AGM should they so wish.  This should
be sent to the Secretary in advance of the AGM.

All members present will be able to vote by secret ballot for the Committee.  Note
that to maximise participation in the election, the constitution permits all those
attending the AGM to stand for election to Committee.  There are no postal ballots.

Though there is no requirement to do so, it would help if those standing for Committee
could notify the secretary in advance.

Members who have served on the Committee for the previous twelve months are eligible
to stand for an officer post.  Nominations must be submitted in writing in advance of
the AGM.

The AGM also sets out the ‘policy’ priorities for next season, given the
current ‘shifting sands’ of the relations between Club and match going
fan, it is more important than ever to make a contribution in determining the issues
IMUSA should focus on.  IMUSA remains very much the organisation of the matchgoing
Red.  For full reports on our impact on national debates such as the return to safe
standing areas to local disputes with the Club and Trafford Council, the AGM is the
place to be.

If you think it is time you joined the organisation, then membership is available on
the night - you can also renew.  Please try and remember your membership cards to save
time at the door.  Please think about using the AGM as an opportunity to contribute to
the organisation through standing for election, renewing your membership or joining
for the first time.

For more information on the AGM please visit our web site at www.imusa.org at regular
intervals.

---------------------------------
[13] Don't tell the PLC board
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
This might give them ideas:

People have been masturbating to raise money for US charities.

The Good Vibration Association organised the Masturbate-A-Thon as part of National
Masturbation Month.

Proceeds will go to sexual health charities.

Good Vibrations has called on registered participants to ask friends to sponsor them
per minute of masturbation.

The event is part of a month of events which ends on May 26.

The website says the aim is to create a "clearer masturbation conscience" among people
in the US. The Good Vibration Association stresses "sexual pleasure is a birthright".

National Masturbation Month ends with a celebration at Oakland's Parkway Theatre in
California.

---------------------------------
[12] Fergie on Djordjic
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
"The lad has got a chance. He's growing and is a bit frail, but he's developing quite
well.

"He has grown so quickly that he has lost some of his strength, but once he settles
down I think he's got a chance.

"He's talented, he has nice balance and a good left foot and there is always something
different about left-footed players. He took his goal (against Celtic) very well."

---------------------------------
[11] Probable line up for today
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
Van der Gouw, Irwin, Johnsen, May, Silvestre, Chadwick, Stewart, Scholes, Giggs,
Djordjic, Butt, Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Wilson, P Neville, Wallwork, Goram.

---------------------------------
[10] Injuries update
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
Wes Brown, David Beckham, Jaap Stam, Roy Keane, Gary Neville, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,
Paul Scholes, Fabien Barthez, Ronnie Wallwork and Luke Chadwick are all expected to be
missing, while Denis Irwin is doubtful with a calf injury.

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie wanted a seat on the PLC board
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
According to the Telegraph, but certain 'people' apposed the appointment. You don't
need to be a detective to work out who one of those were, do you.

And have they no appreciation of the fact that this is the man who is directly
responsible for stuffing their wallets full of cash.

---------------------------------
[8] Teddy talks on-going
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
According to Paddy Harveson (who should be concerntrating on other matters):

"We're still talking to Teddy and it's just a matter of seeing if we can agree terms,"
he said.

And Teddy's agent says:

"We are still talking to Manchester United," he said. "Teddy's contract doesn't expire
until June 30 and Manchester United have first refusal."

---------------------------------
[7] More Fergie comments
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
"I do not know if I will manage another club," he said. "I will be leaving Manchester
United at the end of the season and that is it.

"Then I will have to decide what I want to do. There are some offers and options, so I
will make a decisions over the next few months."

"Managing Manchester United has been the pinnacle of my career,".

"There is a fantastic support here and great players, with great character who should
be proud of what they have achieved.

"I am in a healthy position because my own health is good and while you never know
what you are going to do, the most important thing is to remain active."

---------------------------------
[6] O'Neil reckons Fergie won't retire
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
"I think when Sir Alex goes it will be a massive loss to football, but he has not gone
yet.

"He has at least another year to go and probably longer. Surely somebody might coax
him into staying for another couple of years - he is still a very young man."

---------------------------------
[5] And Steve wants out too
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
According to this Mirror Exclusive this morning:

SIR ALEX FERGUSON had crisis talks with his Manchester United bosses yesterday - as
West Ham made a formal approach for Steve McClaren.

Ferguson stayed off the team flight to London for the game at Tottenham today and
sought a showdown with chief executive Peter Kenyon over McClaren's - and the club's -
future. McClaren has emerged as the new favourite for the Hammers post after chairman
Terry Brown contacted Ferguson for permission to speak to him.

The United manager is already under pressure and seething over a lack of transfer
funds for the summer and wants to sort out the growing crisis with Kenyon and company.

However I can reveal that Ferguson will let assistant McClaren leave because he knows
that it would be in the best interests of the the highly-rated coach.With Ferguson in
his final year - or maybe less - at Old Trafford he could not stand in his way. The
United boss feels he should look out for his staff and will smooth McClaren's exit out
of Old Trafford.

McClaren was once considered to be on the short-list to succeed Ferguson, but that now
seems to be off the agenda.

And with Ferguson locked in a row over transfer funds with his bosses he simply will
not stand in McClaren's way. McClaren has become first choice on the short-list for
the West Ham job - with Charlton's Alan Curbishley his only rival, but now slipping
out of the picture.

Ferguson knows of McClaren's possible move and is virtually giving him his blessing to
go, even if it leaves United without the former England coach.

The United boss normally expects extreme loyalty from his staff as Brian Kidd found
when he left for Blackburn Rovers and was then shunned by his old manager.

But McClaren's circumstances are different. Ferguson persuaded him to quit a
comfortable job at Derby County to join him at United and feels a responsibility
towards finding him a good job.In his Godfather role in the past, Ferguson has helped
several young bosses find work and his contacts are excellent.

McClaren's worth has been recognised by the FA and he would still be at Sven Goran
Eriksson's side but for United and Ferguson wanting him to get back to United
full-time.

Now that the atmosphere at United has changed Ferguson will merely shrug his shoulders
and shake hands with McClaren when the time comes for the number two to quit.

---------------------------------
[4] So is Arthur Albiston
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
'Speaking as a supporter, I would have loved to have seen him kept on there in
whatever capacity.

'It's a shame that he's leaving because he has such a knowledge and now the club won't
be able to use it. I just hope that this doesn't deflect from his last year in
charge.'

---------------------------------
[3] Skip to my Lou is shocked
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
'It's a shock and the supporters will be devastated. We all knew he was going to leave
the manager's job at the end of next season, but we all thought that they would have
found him a role somewhere at the club.'

---------------------------------
[2] IMUSA Chair reaction
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
Mark Longden:

'If it is Fergie's decision alone, you have to accept it,' he said. 'But if the plc
have allowed a man of his ability, who has built the club so far, just to leave then
it is nothing short of a disgrace.

'There has always been a fundamental problem with any club which is a plc, in that
they want the club to be a successful business first and football club second.

'It is a disgrace that United are prepared to lose a man with his knowledge and
abilities.'

Put in PLC speak, how can you treat one of your brand's major assets in such a shabby
manner?

---------------------------------
[1] Shareholders Utd recation
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, May 19, 2001 by tb:
Oli Houston says:

'We feared this would happen and the board should hang their heads in shame.'

"The supposed Busby Syndrome is a smokescreen as any successor was going to have to
have had the strength of character to work with him far more than be in the shadow of
Ferguson.

"Instead we believe the plc feared giving Sir Alex a role with any real status or
power because of his view that football should be more about supporters and local
communities than just marketing and merchandising.

"He is highly regarded in the City and much loved on the terraces.

"Anything Shareholders United can do to reverse this terrible state of affairs we will
do."

And on SU's voice:

"Those 22,000 people have small shareholdings but a very loud voice and we will be
doing everything we can, both privately with the club and publicly through the media,"
said Houston.

---------------------------------
[41] PA story with quotes from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 18, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Sir Alex Ferguson will walk away from Old Trafford when he retires as Manchester
United manager at the end of next season. Ferguson had been in talks with the club
about staying on in some capacity beyond 2002. But he has confirmed he will sever all
ties next summer.

He said on MUTV: "The decision has been taken, I'm going to leave the club."

Ferguson's shock announcement comes on the same day as reports that he will have to
sell players before he can buy this summer. Ferguson has long been unhappy with the
club's parsimonious attitude and this may have contributed to his decision.'

Do we get a PLC quote?