---------------------------------
[13] Veron Latest
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
Despite earning 60k a week "netto", which would never get past the PLC board, Veron's
agent says:

"We have a problem with Lazio over Veron's future.

"So this week we will fly to Manchester for a meeting with United."

Hope his passport is up to date!

---------------------------------
[12] Cruyff: Spain too much of a culture shock for Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
"His knowledge (of the game) everybody knows, but the only difference is the people.
He has been used to working in England which is totally different to working in
Spain," added Cruyff.

"In Spain everything is more personal - the way of thinking from the people and the
press.

---------------------------------
[11] Cruyff says no to Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
Johan that is:

"I am not interested, not because of Manchester or England, but because I am now doing
other things than being a coach.

"So I follow it, but I don't want to be involved in anything now."

---------------------------------
[10] Steve: Fergie reckons I was good enough
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
'Sir Alex thought I was good enough to take over from him at Manchester United - there
can be no higher praise than that.

Not according to the PLC board it isn't

---------------------------------
[9] McClaren on PLC
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
'I realised I was well down in the pecking order,'

---------------------------------
[8] Steve on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
'Of course, I'll miss the boss, too. Sir Alex was the first person I turned to for
advice about the Middlesbrough job and he gave me his total backing.

'I have nothing but the highest regard for him. I couldn't begin to assess the value
of working alongside him and seeing how he operates.

'His departure will be an incalculable loss to the game and to United in particular. I
hope he goes out in a blaze of glory.'

---------------------------------
[7] McClaren on Utd
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
'I can only say that being involved at United was an even more unforgettable
experience than I ever imagined it would be when the call came from Sir Alex
two-and-a-half years ago.

'I had served a great apprenticeship working with Jim Smith at Derby County, but felt
it was the right time to move on, as I do now.

'I have to confess I was more than a little apprehensive about moving to Old Trafford.

'Taking over from a United legend such as Brian Kidd and coaching all those great
players was an awesome proposition but it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

'And look what I would have missed out on if I hadn't gone for it - three successive
Premiership titles, an FA Cup and that unforget-table night in Barcelona when the lads
snatched the European Cup.

'There have been disappointments, too, like losing in the European quarter-finals in
the last two years when everybody connected with the team felt we were good enough to
go all the way again.

'I will miss working with the ultra-professional players and I'll miss the crack in
the coaches' room.

---------------------------------
[6] McClaren on his future
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
'Within the space of 24 hours I made the hardest and easiest choices I have ever
made,' he said. 'People say that nobody in their right mind would leave Manchester
United and 99 times out of a hundred that would be true.

'But I had reached a stage where I needed to take a change in direction and the chance
to manage a terrific club like Middlesbrough provided it.

---------------------------------
[5] McClaren on his past
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
"People have always been asking me where I've been in the game and what I've done," he
says. "But if you look at all the people who've got to the top they've all been in the
trenches. They haven't all been great players. A perfect example is the gaffer
(Fergie)."

---------------------------------
[4] gooners to swap Vierra for Davids?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
>From the Sunday Mirror:

ARSENAL are lining up a sensational swap deal with Juventus to land their midfield
star Edgar Davids.

The Turin giants insist that any deal for the pounds 14million-rated Dutch player must
involve Frenchman Patrick Vieira who is valued at around pounds 24million.

Vieira has already intimated to Arsene Wenger that he will ask for a move when he has
showdown talks over his future with the club this week. If he can't be persuaded to
stay, Arsenal will use him to broker a deal for the Dutch star who is currently
embroiled in a drugs test storm.

Vieira favours joining Barcelona ahead of either Manchester United or Juventus, but
Arsenal insist any deal will be controlled by the club, not the player or his agent
Marc Roger. United have already been given a "hands-off" warning from the Gunners, who
would do everything in their power to stop him going to a Premiership rival.

Juventus have been on the trail of Vieira for almost a year and had an pounds
18million bid turned down by the Highbury board last summer.

Ideally Wenger would like to keep Vieira and play Davids, 28, alongside him but the
Italian giants are reluctant to lose their Dutch star unless they get the Frenchman,
in a deal which is likely to cost them pounds 10million cash as well as Davids.

Juventus have also offered Arsenal the choice of four other squad players. But they
don't include pounds 15million-rated French striker David Trezeguet, a player Wenger
would like at Highbury.

Davids was facing an uncertain future after testing positive for the banned substance
Nandrolone which carries a maximum two-year worldwide ban. But the Dutch FA have
threatened to take FIFA to court after a row over the small amount of the drug
involved.

Arsenal have been told the threat of a ban will almost certainly be lifted when FIFA
and UEFA meet to discuss the case on Wednesday.

Davids claims he was so marginally over the limit that it would have been dismissed in
any other sport. FIFA are now expected to raise the limit, which would put Davids in
the clear.

---------------------------------
[3] Shome mishtake shurely
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
As Hoolahoop finally goes off le rails:

"Winning three major trophies in one season is an historical feat — no team has
ever done it in any country".

Plastic treble, plastic treble

---------------------------------
[2] Utd to form alliance with car manufacturer
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
And surprise surprise, it's not Proton!

>From the NOTW:

MANCHESTER UNITED have had talks with Ferrari that could lead to a stunning alliance
between the world’s biggest football club and the most famous name in Formula
One.

Negotiations between United and Ferrari are at an early stage but both sides can see
the massive multi-million pound marketing and merchandising potential.

A United adviser said: "Forward-looking companies talk to see how they can help each
other. We are pursuing partnership opportunities with such companies."

The move means Michael Schumacher, the world’s best-paid sportsman on
£22.5million a year, could do promotional work with United hero David Beckham.

United were introduced to Ferrari by their shirt sponsors Vodafone, who recently
announced a £110m three-year-deal to sponsor the Italian outfit’s F1 car.

---------------------------------
[1] Vocal Fans Group latest
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, June 10, 2001 by tb:
Thanks to Gez, who's doing a great job:

Good news and bad news from the latest meeting but still an will to move forward and
improve West2.

The good is about moving singers in and selling daytickets to singers.

If an application is in to move into West2 then you should be moved and STs moving
into West2 will retain their status. The club are keen to support the improvement of
West2 by getting as many new singers in as possible. The cut off is rapidly
approaching so any last minute applications would have to be in by Mon. or Tuesday and
followed up by a telephone call. All the ones I know about are sorted and that
includes Justen Gill (phew), Alison Watt and Ross McDougal
plus everyone on the original list.

I have given our plan of the stadium to Karl and so they will use this to try and put
those moving in near other singers.

The other good news concerns day tickets being sold to singers. Any club members who
are singers should join the VFC we will register them with the club and they should
put VFC singer on all ticket applications.

All of row 13 is reserved for daytickets as the club want to keep a distinction
between the STs in 12 down and LMTBs in 14 up. This means that as long as we find and
register the singers the whole of row 13 will be singers next season. Similarly there
is a block at the front of 3101 kept to provide options for Family stand members who
reach 16 and have to move. This means that a large block of tickets will still be sold
as daytickets and so will go to singers next season. This dramatically changes this
previously quiet corner.

The downside is that all these come out of the 450 or so daytickets and a further 60
are unavailable as they are the seats above the exits (Vomitory) occupied by security
medical etc. So this means I cant get many people moved towards the singers but I will
fix those most isolated and as explained above singers may be coming to you instead of
you to the singers.

Final point Karl and Arthur Chubb are keen to work with us and the work to map the
stand and move people in and hopefully out will continue. The SWAP shop concept will
be continued and they are now looking at a way people can become involved without
internet.

I was hoping to get a location to tempt passives to move out of West2 but the club
wont use East2 as it requires relocation for cup games. However,  passive LMTBs
wanting out could have the front  seats in North3. The difficulty is that the club
wont move LMTBs to a non LMTB area.  Passive STs wanting out are easier as the club
will do its best to accommodate them wherever there is space.

Regards  Gez

---------------------------------
[8] Utd announce new signing
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, June 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
The sort the PLC love

PLC Press release

'Manchester United PLC is delighted to announce the appointment of Steven Falk as
Director of Financial Services. In his new role Steven will oversee the development of
Manchester United's growing financial services business, and will report directly to
David Gill, Deputy Chief Executive.

The company currently has two products in this area, an affinity credit card,
available to fans through MBNA, the American credit card company, and a savings
account through Britannia Building Society.  Both products have proved very popular:
there are over 35,000 holders of the Manchester United credit card, whilst savers have
over £50m on deposit at Britannia through the Manchester United scheme.

Steven will not only build on the success of these existing products, but help develop
a new range of products in several categories, including insurance, banking and
investments.

David Gill, Deputy Chief Executive said: "We are delighted to welcome Steven to the
Old Trafford team to lead our expansion into this exciting and growing business."

Steven starts his new role on 11th June 2001.  He has been known to
Manchester United for several years through his work at MBNA as Head of Affinity
Marketing.  He previously worked for GUS, United Utilities, ICI and Ford.

He is 44 years old, lives in Altrincham, and is a Manchester United fan.'

How many games?