---------------------------------
[19] Bruce back at OT?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Midas

'Steve Bruce has quit as manager of Second Division Wigan Athletic,
sparking speculation that the former United skipper is to return to
Old Trafford as assistant manager.  Bruce has revealed that he has been offered the
chance to move to  another club with Wigan chairman David Whelan revealing: "He
(Bruce)  told me that he had thought about the move for over a week and it was  an
offer he couldn't refuse.

"We didn't even have the chance to offer him a package with Wigan."

Bruce only took charge at the JJB stadium in early April and guided
them to the Second Division play-off semi-finals, where they were
beaten by Reading.

The former Huddersfield and Sheffield United has also been linked
with the vacant managers job at Crystal Palace but with Steve
McClaren expected to move to Middlesbrough in the coming weeks Bruce
may be about to be named as Sir Alex Ferguson new No.2.'

---------------------------------
[18] Giggs on Wales
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It's good that there's some new young blood coming into the squad. Jason Koumas has
finally made it and Simon Davies has grabbed his chance and impressed everybody. We
haven't got the size of squads that other countries have, so we need all the new
quality players we can find. Simon has done really well since getting into the Spurs
team recently, and had a good game when he came on as substitute for us against
Ukraine.

He has great talent and there are a few others like him who can come into the Wales
squad and do really well. My one ambition left in the game is to qualify for a major
competition finals. I still believe we can do it one day, and these new youngsters
coming into the squad maintain my confidence. I feel very good. United had the
championship won with something to spare quite early so the manager was able to rest
players and that included me.

I've been away for a few days to Monaco, just to relax. The boss was able to allow a
few players some holiday before the season ended but that hadn't included me, so now I
feel really refreshed. That's good for me because I'm really raring to go now in these
two matches and we really do need to start winning games. We've been more than unlucky
not to have won a couple already, so we need to put that right. We are the only team
so far to have taken any points from Poland. They are a very strong team and in Warsaw
our display was first class to grab that 0-0 draw. We will be looking to go one better
this time. Obviously they have a pretty good record, 100 per cent apart from the draw
with us, and that gives us plenty of encouragement for Saturday's match.

Up until now the performances have been great and we've only lost one of five, but the
time is now for us to pick up a couple of wins to turn all that good work into
something more positive. We intend that to be this week. It's win or bust now because
draws are no good to us, we must win now."

Add one more ambition surely Ryan - to overtake Scousers, 19-5...

---------------------------------
[17] Utd out of chase for Sol
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Or so it seems - a battle between Arse, Liverpool, Inter Milan and, bizzarely,
Barcelona.

---------------------------------
[16] Bye Great Dane
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
As Peter Schmeichel is expected to annouce his retirement as a player this week.

---------------------------------
[15] Full story on pre-season tour
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
This in to Red News from Paddy Harverson. Good this lark we have to say. Up a story
goes and we get the info from Paddy not long after!

Anyway, further to story 14, Paddy tells us:

'Anyway, the stories about the ticket distribution for our tour do not tell the full
story (now there's a surprise). For the game in Bangkok, of the 55,000 tickets, 33,000
have been made available to the public VIA THE SPONSORS' OUTLETS. They have not been
given to the sponsors for corporate entertainment, but are simply being sold through
the sponsors. All those tickets will end up in the public's hands. Of the rest, 13,200
have been given to sponsors for promotional purposes, and almost all of those will end
up with fans because they will be used in competitions, giveaways, loyalty programmes
etc. 8,300 tickets have been given to the Thai authorities and VIPs.

While we are on the subject, of the 85,000 tickets for the Kuala Lumpur game, 50,000
have been made available direct to the United supporters club in Malaysia, 10,000 to
sponsors and dignatories, and the remainder to the general public. For the Singapore
game, of the 54,200 tickets, 30,000 have gone to the official supporters club, 10,000
to sponsors and VIPs, and the rest to the general public.

I believe all three of our games are sold out.

And Liverpool are going out to the Far East just before us, not just after. I hope
this helps clear things up.'

---------------------------------
[14] You're not famous anymore
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Apparently, Liverpool are playing in Bangkok soon after United this pre-season.  For
United's visit, only 4,000 tickets were made  available to the public as the others
were taken up by companies for corporate entertainment.  For the Liverpool match,
20,000 were put on open sale.  Make of that what you will.

---------------------------------
[13] Spanish transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Onda Cero Radio in Spain have just announced that Real Madrid have signed Parma
defender Liliam Thuram. Is this true?

---------------------------------
[12] Another happy anniversary
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Today, the 29th of May, is of course the 33rd year anniversary for the men of 68!

---------------------------------
[11] Chadwick out injured
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'England Under-21 coach Howard Wilkinson has suffered another trio of injury setbacks
ahead of the vital European Championship qualifier with Greece in Athens next week.
The Aston Villa duo of striker Darius Vassell and defender Gareth Barry, plus
Manchester United midfielder Luke Chadwick have all been ruled out with toe, knee and
leg injuries respectively.'

---------------------------------
[10] Joe was massively wrong for city
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
BBC man and Blue Stuart Hall:

"Joe made some bad signings at the start. We needed a midfield - we needed an engine
room. But he didn't give us one. He gave us a lot of defenders who weren't
particularly quick. He had some bad signings and then he panicked, and when he needed
face he signed (Darren) Huckerby and (Andrei) Kanchelskis. But you can't play guys
with pace up front - it's pace in midfield you want. You've got to have an engine
room. You've got to have pace and guile - and if you've got those two then you can
play. If you look at the top five sides, they have all got the mixture of pace and
guile and age and wit - and that's what you've got to get at City to compete at the
top level.

I said to Joe Royle at the start of the season 'how many of our players do other
Premier teams want?', and we got stuck on Steve Howey and Nick Weaver."

---------------------------------
[9] Bad boys United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mirror reports that Bayern could report us to FIFA for breaking transfer regulations
if we continue with our attempts to bag Lizarazu.

---------------------------------
[8] More from Fabien
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The Confederation Cup without me

And as I said, I write during my holidays to you which I am really  benefiting from! I
think of my friends who are in the Confederation  Cup. I know that they will be eager
to prepare for the World Cup in  one year. One year! Can you imagine that ? It's
already near and it  seems hardly any time at all since the last one and the Euro. I
also  think that we have an exceptional group. It is enough just to re-examine our
last match against Portugal. We are not weary. That is
great!

A last word on the winner of C1. I saw that Dédé didn't play. I know
he must really be disappointed. But I am over the moon for Liza and
especially the little one, Willy. My  " Temesta ", as we called him in Monaco, has
really had a fantastic  season this year. Champion of France, Champion of Germany and
a  victor of C1? Not bad!!!

I leave you and I hope to talk with you soon. As always thank you  for all the mails
that you sent to me for the title. A kiss for all  of you!

Fabien"

---------------------------------
[7] Fabien speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Marc, our French correspondent

"At last, it's the holidays!

The presentation of the trophy at home before the last match,  finishing on a defeat
and The Confederation Cup where I won't be.  That's essentially what's happening,
friends. I'm not going to try to  disguise it : at last, it's the holidays which I
dreamed about.  Finally: last summer after Euro 2000, there had almost been no time
at all to benefit from a break because preparation had started very  early. But
whatever, I'm not going to start feeling sorry for myself  when you consider the
season that we achieved.

An Enormous season

In this, my hour of assessment, all that I dreamed of when I signed  for the Reds has
been surpassed. It means that two years in a row I  have been a champion in two
different championships. At home in  France and England, my new country. There's
nothing I could wish for  at the club, as I've told you many times throughout the
winter the  structures and the environment, everything is in place so we have
what we need to succeed. However there is one thing I have to do, one  great person to
whom I have to pay homage: the coach. Alex Ferguson.  He is a gentleman and if I
succeeded this season, it is largely down
to him. He understood how to manage his manpower. He never gave me
any hassle during preparation, he immediately understood how I
functioned. If the pressure came from anywhere, it came from myself
and I know when I need to give myself a kick. If I had one regret it
would be our course in the Champion's League. Against Bayern, I know
that there was a chance to continue and for me it is only the bad
note of the season."

---------------------------------
[6] To Helland Road and back
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Lee Bowyer

"Nothing will ever take my mind off the job while I'm playing. Nothing. Nothing ever.
Winning the award last week meant everything to me. It was probably the high point of
my season. The manager has been first-class to me all the way through. We sat down at
the beginning of the trial and discussed the situation and I made it clear I wanted to
play matches. The manager respected that stance and he would have a quiet word with me
to encourage me. The great thing was I was able to get out on the pitch and play. He
has supported me publicly from the standpoint of team selection and he has shown his
support for me in high-profile situations. He has been fantastic and so has the
chairman. It meant a lot to me when he flew me over to Goodison. For him to do that so
late in the season was a real statement of how much he wanted me to play. The only way
I felt I could thank the supporters and stuff was on the pitch, because I couldn't
exactly go on the microphone and make an announcemen!
t."

Makes me feel queasy...

---------------------------------
[5] More from Zidane
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Nearly three years ago there was interest in me from Manchester United. I was quite
interested, but it didn't happen. Now it's quite different. Even if Manchester United
are interested, Juventus don't want to let me go. And personally I feel now that if I
leave Italy, my main ambition will be to play in Spain, rather than in England.

A pay day isn't my philosophy. I started in football very young and I think football
has given me everything I hoped for. There is a life beyond football and by the time
I'm 34 or 35 I'll be ready to start that new life. I still haven't won the Champions
League - and that still feels like something missing. If I could win the Champions
League then I'd have won just about everything and you play the game to win. The only
thing missing for me is that medal - then I would be complete."

So come to United then!

---------------------------------
[4] Zidane not for United
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Zinedine Zidane:

"I never say never, but at the moment my thinking is that a move to England would not
be right. I feel like I want to get to see the Spanish League - so if there's the
possibility of going there I would choose it over England. As for the interest from
Man Utd, they are without doubt one of the biggest clubs in Europe, but my interest in
Spain is very strong."

---------------------------------
[3] Celebrate the two year anniversary
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
26-05-99 Barcelona T-shirts (in Barca's colours) are still available...

Price is £10 (+£1.50 p&p, £2.50 Ireland and Europe, £4 Rest of the world). Send
cheques/postal orders, made payable to JPO to: Barca T-Shirts, Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG

---------------------------------
[2] JUST 5 COPIES LEFT
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
Help Red News and the web site and get stuck into these offers

1) Latest Red News an end of season bumper special - issue 77 - only 5 copies left and
then that is it, completely sold out. For details how to order via post contact us at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

2) You can order - going fast - the seven available issues from this season in the UK
for the bargain price of £7 including postage. Details from the same e.mail address

3) The Best of Red News - 1987-2001 - will be published this summer and if you would
like to order a copy and to have your name listed in tbe book as a subscriber then
contact us also at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[1] This is what Fergie's peers thought
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Fergie page at the League Managers' Association web site

'Sir Alex plans to retire as manager of United after the 2001/2002 season but he is
set to stay on at the club as an international scout.'

So obviously people in the know thought that was the job he would be offered.

---------------------------------
[18] Scousers short?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Juve's David Trezeguet:

"As I have said many times already, I do not want to talk about the transfer market at
this time of the season, it wouldn't be fair to anybody. "And personally, I intend to
stay at Juve and respect the contract that I have signed until 2005. A great team must
have many good attackers - then it's up to the manager who plays."

---------------------------------
[17] Ruud now a Utd player
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ruud did not play in PSV's last league game (a 4-2 win against NEC), his next  game
will be played in a United shirt.

---------------------------------
[16] We're not getting Lizarazu?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bayern Munich coach Ottmar Hitzfeld:

"There is no point in talking about him leaving. I do not sell key players"

---------------------------------
[15] Brown out for England
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
PA

'Wes Brown has been ruled out of England's World Cup clash with Greece on June 6 with
an Achilles injury. The Manchester United defender had a fitness test on Monday
morning. And despite making progress he will not be ready for the qualifying group
nine clash in Athens next month.'

---------------------------------
[14] Arsenal are nearly massive
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Arsenal midfielder Lauren:

"My first year in England has been positive, apart from the time I was out injured.
"We were second in the League and if you like it or not, that is not enough in a club
as big as that. We tried everything, but Manchester (United) ended up ahead of us. We
are in a big club with aspirations to win titles and in a big club like that you can
improve in all aspects."

---------------------------------
[13] Bestie back in action
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to Oli for this

'George Best is one of the main celebrities appearing at the soccer 6
tournament at Stamford Bridge on Monday. He is managing Rod Stewart's team. Should be
a day full of little kids turning out to see Ant and Dec, and a  host of various other
minor celebs.'

---------------------------------
[12] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I'm chasing six players in the hope of landing three. That's the case with all the
big clubs."

---------------------------------
[11] more from city chief
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We feel we are very fortunate to get Kevin. He's a world figure in football, a unique
sort of person, great international experience and a tremendous league record. I think
somehow that's been a little lost over the last year, but he has a fantastic league
record with Fulham and particularly with Newcastle...We are focused on what he did
before that, which really was quite fantastic. For what he did at Newcastle, he's a
legend on Tyneside and quite rightly so."

What he did at Newcastle - er, trophies in cabinet count please?

---------------------------------
[10] massive backing
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
City chairman David Bernstein:

"We will have, I would say, modest funds in the First Division, Kevin knows that, but
we spent £17million on players last year. I know that Kevin feels we have quite a
strong squad already. He will want to make changes to it, but he's quite satisfied
with the funds available for the First Division. When we get back to the Premier
League, then he will have substantial funds. We have promised him that and we will
deliver on that."

Er, that's confident!

---------------------------------
[9] More from Sven
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If you have players like Beckham, Gerrard and Scholes in midfield, they are extremely
good passers. Then you have Fowler dropping a little and Owen up there. They are also
extremely good passers. The second goal in which Gerrard hurtled down the right flank
to be picked out by Beckham's long-range pass and then crossed for Fowler to score was
beautiful."

---------------------------------
[8] Sven on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"If you talk about our captain, it is difficult to find a better passer in the world
today, certainly in Europe. I had two excellent passers at Lazio, in Juan Sebastian
Veron and Sinisa Mihajlovic, and if Beckham is not better than them, then he is
certainly on the same level. It is difficult to compare."

---------------------------------
[7] Real Madrid chairman - THE TRUTH
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Florentina Pérez speaking : "The strategy is very clear: the best players  must play
for Madrid. Why ? Because it makes sense economically. To buy a  star is an
investment, a good one. It helps building a global image."

---------------------------------
[6] Paddy Harverson on Teddy leaving
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We're sorry to see Teddy go, he's had a fantastic career with us. We would of course
like to wish him the best of luck for the future."

---------------------------------
[5] More tabloid gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
SUN says that Eric will take the youth post offered to him - but wants the manager
role after Fergie goes.

Mirror reports that Fergie is winning the battle with the PLC - proof will be when we
sign Lizarazu and that he has a £40m kitty still to spend.

---------------------------------
[4] Thuram latest
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Apparently Parma have received two offers for Thuram - from Juventus and us.

We have offered  £19M. £4M more and the offer should be accepted.

Higher, higher?!

---------------------------------
[3] The spin starts here
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
As the Mirror, quick to get any story on United last week now turns its attention to
Sol Campbell, who has said he will be leaving Spurs.

Apparently he wanted £135,000 a week to stay.

---------------------------------
[2] A pile of poo?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
One of the Sundays reported that Fabien 'lashed out' at a New York photographer as he
tried to take a photo of our hero with Linda Evangelista.

---------------------------------
[1] We're glad it's all over
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, May 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Appears Sunday headlines were correct that the romance of the century - move over
Wuthering Heights - between Dwight and Jordan is now over after all those events in
Monte Carlo.

You do have to wonder though just how she has got an unauthorised biography coming
out. Please don't do an official one - but what are the chapter headlines?

3-in-a-bed story

3-in-a-bed story

and, er

3-in-a-bed-story