---------------------------------
[17] Your fanzine really does need your help this time
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
This is a massive appeal - feel free to spread the word via forums, to mates, etc -
the more help/contributions we get the better to make the following as good as it gets.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Red News is planning a Fergie special edition for next season - planned long before
recent events (which are hopefully to be sorted in the coming weeks) - this special is
to commemorate his momentous time at Old Trafford and mark his last season at Old
Trafford as manager (but not at the club!). We want this to be THE definitive accolade
to Fergie, so need your help with as many ideas/articles/short memories from 1986-2002
that you can provide to us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Below are just a few of the things we're after - but let us know anything you'd like
to see in the Fergie special.

N.B. The deadline for ALL contributions is July 15th 2001.

We're looking for

...any special Fergie quotes

...any special photos you may have of Fergie (that you took?) during his time at
United. All will be returned after use.

...any unique memories you have of meeting him. Special recollections/comments, the
diverse and different the better!

...the big challenge is listing magic fergie 'moments'. Basically we're looking for
the great (and not so great?!) games under fergie over all those years - but not just
the biggies (nou camp, chelsea 4-0, etc) but ones that you think were part of the
fergie jigsaw that grew with each year (1-5 city, his first game at Oxford, etc, etc).
We're looking for one paragraph for each game - if you recall a game which you think
was pivital in the development of Fergie, with an off-beat memory or short description
of the game events, send them in!

...feel free to choose your magic fergie moments (not games this time, but off field
memories - like psyching out keegan). Anything and everything sought - again one
paragraphs for each, feel free to do as many as you like!

...Other highlights - short one words, like best and worst moments under fergie

And lastly any suggestions of dramatic events that we wouldn't want to forget that
Utd/fergie have experienced since '86. Even looking back these past few days at all my
scrapbooks, etc, it's mad what I'd forgotten - so we are searching for a  listing of
stuff you can recall off the top of your head, like the MEN poll over Ince, getting
the OBE, any memory at all really.

Many thanks for anything you can provide - we really want this Fergie special to be,
well, bloody special. So anything and everything is welcome - keep it coming and
spread the word.

You can contact us by e.mail at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

or post stuff to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG
Deadline is this July 15th 2001!
Many, many thanks!

---------------------------------
[16] Yeah, right
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
'Beer is good for your sex life, say scientists. Beer drinkers have more sex so long
as they are not sozzled,  according to scientists. People regularly consuming beer in
reasonable quantities have a more
active sex life, says the research. They have more sex than those who are teetotal or
get drunk all the time. The findings were the same for both men and women, according
to  researchers at the Univeristy of Uppsala, Sweden. The 'right' amount of beer for a
positive effect on a person's sex  life is a half to one litres of alcohol each day
for men, about two  pints, and half as much for women, reports Pravda.'

---------------------------------
[15] Confirmed pre-season dates
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thu 19 July - Tue 31 July 2001 Tour of the Far East

 Wed 1 August 2001 Manchester United v Celtic
 Old Trafford 7.45pm
 Ryan Giggs Testimonial
 Manchester

 Sat 4 August 2001 Wrexham v Manchester United XI The
 Racecourse Ground 3.00pm
 Brian Flynn/Kevin Reeves Testimonial
 Wrexham

 Wed 8 August 2001 Bury v Manchester United
 Gigg Lane, Bury 7.45pm

 Sun 12 August Manchester United v Liverpool
 Millennium Stadium TBC
 The One 2 One FA Charity Shield
 Cardiff

---------------------------------
[14] Also in the news
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Inter Milan have signed defender Nelson Vivas from Arsenal.

"I are extremely happy to have arrived at a great club like this - one of the most
prestigious in Europe. And I am pleased in particular to have merited the confidence
of the new coach and all the leadership." The ambition of any player is to always try
and improve. To move from Arsenal to Inter will allow me to continue to play at the
highest level."

---------------------------------
[13] Ruud on united
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I know everyone says that if United paid that much money for me I must play, but Sir
Alex Ferguson will do what is best for the team. I know if I'm not playing well, I
cannot expect to play. That's football. I'm not naive enough to believe that I'm going
to walk straight into the team, I'm going to have to work hard to get in the side.
United have some world-class players at the club and some first-class forwards."

---------------------------------
[12] Utd on McClaren leaving
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We're sad to see Steve go, but wish him well," said Patrick Harverson - but how hard
was the fight to keep him?

---------------------------------
[11] Eric on his Utd departure
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I just felt I had played my best football. I started to lose patience, the patience
you need to train, to work hard, to go to bed at ten!"

---------------------------------
[10] Yorke losing the plot
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Manchester United striker Dwight Yorke has been dropped by Trinidad and Tobago for
their next World Cup qualifier. The national association did not explain their reasons
behind the decision. But Yorke annoyed team officials after failing to show up in
Panama for a friendly on Sunday. Manager Neville Chance said Yorke had missed his
flight from Miami to Panama but rather than trying to get another flight, had returned
home without alerting him.

Yorke met with the nation's soccer association management yesterday and was then
dropped for Saturday's game against Honduras - a must-win match for Trinidad, who are
bottom of their group with one point after three matches. Yorke could be eligible for
the following game against the United States in Foxboro, Massachusetts, on June 20.
Yorke, in Trinidad training with the team, was unavailable for comment. It is not the
first time Yorke has run into trouble over playing for Trinidad. United manager Sir
Alex Ferguson left the player out of a match when he returned to England late
following a World Cup match.'

---------------------------------
[9] For once we say well done Sol
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Sol Campbell has delivered an amazing snub to Liverpool by not showing up for
transfer talks, according to The Sun. The out-of-contract Tottenham defender is
reported to have instead sent his agent to meet the Liverpool delegation - assistant
manager Phil Tompson and chief executive Rick Parry - at a top London hotel.
Campbell's stance has lead the Anfield outfit to believe he is looking for a move to
either Arsenal or Inter Milan.'

---------------------------------
[8] On this day
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
1956: Real Madrid beat Stade de Reims in Paris to win the first European Cup.

---------------------------------
[7] Delusional Weaver?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Nicky Weaver:

"This time last year Kevin Keegan was the England manager. Now he is at the helm here
and everywhere we go it will be a full house with the fans travelling with us as they
always do. I believe the next few years could be really exciting here especially with
the move to the new stadium".

---------------------------------
[6] Make it safe standing
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Times today asks

'What do you think should be at the top of the new Sports Minister's priority list?'

and are looking for replies to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Make it safe standing. You know it makes sense.

---------------------------------
[5] French latest
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From our French correspondent:

'No confirmation of an agreement between Juve and Parma for Thuram.
Apparently, we are still very much in the race. Actually, Thuram wants to  join. He
has meet Fergie several times and has been really impressed. The  problem - as you
would imagine - is the money. Fergie is ready to pay the  asking price £24M but the
plc is be reluctant to pay such money for a 29  years old.  If Thuram doesn't join, we
will know who is to blame!

Vieira. Meeting today with Wenger. Vieira wants to leave and his agents are  speaking
with several clubs, including us. But Wenger wants to keep him at  any price. A
decision could be announced this week, still very difficult to  predict what will
happen.

Dugarry rumour. Rubbish.

---------------------------------
[4] The Bayern coach himself says...
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I am flattered to have been linked with the United job but I don't want to leave
Munich and I have a contract until 2004."

---------------------------------
[3] No chance we'll get Bayern boss
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bayern Munich president Franz Beckenbauer on talk of Utd getting Ottmar Hitzfeld to
replace Fergie.

"There is a guy who is in charge of our pitches and we might consider letting him go,
but we'll never allow Hitzfeld to leave."

---------------------------------
{2] More from McClaren
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was vital Sir Alex gave me the scope to leave because I did not want to go on a
bad note after the relationship we built up. He has advised me on a lot of things,
including this move. Sir Alex mentioned me as a possible successor and that gave me
great confidence. But there was never a specific 'yes' or 'no' from United over my
future. It was left in the air and no one could make a decision at this time. With one
year left on my contract I had to secure my future and I have done so with Sir Alex's
backing".

---------------------------------
[1] Butt to sign
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, June 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mirror reports that Nicky Butt has told mates he "has to accept" a new Utd deal that
will double his earnings.

---------------------------------
[27] New kick off time for Charity Shield
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
August 12, 2pm.

"We want to avoid a repetition of the Worthington Cup final when everyone struggled to
get home," said FA director of communications Paul Newman, who wants the game to be as
"fan-friendly as possible".

yeah, right.

"The important thing will be to help that large number of fans returning to the
north-west, although obviously fans will be arriving from all over the country."

>From Ananova

'The plan has the support of police and local authority and could be ratified at next
week's FA board meeting when ticket prices will also be confirmed, as will the venue
for next year's FA Cup final.'