---------------------------------
[22] Gregory hints at Butt bid?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I'd like to think there's still some pennies left from the  money I've raised by
selling players.  We need at least two more quality players who can come straight into
 the first team.  The chairman is aware of the strength on the bench. In the past, he
would have wondered why I wanted players if they weren't in the team.  Now I'm not
under that pressure.  The other teams have set the example by what they are spending -
and  we need to do the same if we are to compete for the Champions League."

---------------------------------
[21] Coruna look for win
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Deportivo La Coruna's Juan Carlos Valeron:

"That goal against Olympiakos was vital and one of the most  important of my career.
To begin with a defeat would have been  devastating. The truth is that I'm playing
well at the moment. I have played from  the start of the season and this continuity
has helped me with my  form.  Winning at home against Manchester United is vital,
although we are
capable of winning away also."

---------------------------------
[20] Gary Nev on Utd team spirit
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When I was 14 I was average. I was a sub for my county  team. My brother Phil, Nicky
Butt, David Beckham, Keith Gillespie and  Ben Thornley were all playing for national
teams and I thought they  were the bee's knees.  Eric Harrison, the United youth
coach, gave me the drive at the age  of 15 to go for it and I would train every day
until 4.30pm. We have  grown up loving United and that shows. I don't think you will
ever  see a United player give in.  I see some players with great ability who, if they
worked hard,  could play for us but, on ability alone, they won't. Look at Ryan
Giggs. He has all the ability in the world but he still works his  backside off. It is
Sir Alex who has set the standard and discipline,' added  Neville. What he has told us
since the age of 14 has been the truth.  We have all grown up with him."

---------------------------------
[19] More Butt speculation
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
If only in the Daily Star - but they go with the continued talk that John Gregory is
ready to table a bid of £8m for Nicky Butt.

---------------------------------
[18] Duncan Edwards sees pub named after him
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Taken from www.duncan-edwards.co.uk

A pub being refurbished and renamed after Duncan was officially
opened today. The Wren's Nest in Priory Road, only 100 yards away from where Duncan
was born, has relaunched under its new name The Duncan Edwards. An £80,000
refurbishment has resulted in a new look for the pub - which has a theme celebrating
Duncan's career. A pub regular has been commissioned to create pictures of the player
which will be displayed on the pub's walls.  Ex Aston Villa player & pub licensee,
Colin Ward was 11 years old when, in 1957, Duncan returned home to Dudley, to give a
training session to a group of local children (which included Colin) at the
Serpentine.  The pub has a floodlit bowling green and large function rooms that can be
hired for a variety of events. Colin and his business partner, Brian, plan to dedicate
an entire wall to Duncan's achievements.

They already have some memorabilia to display, however, if anyone
has any Duncan Edwards memorabilia that they are willing to donate, Colin and Brian
would be very grateful (telephone number below). Villa fan Colin told
duncan-edwards.co.uk that he loves talking about Duncan Edwards and that supporters
coaches (especially United ones) are welcome to stop at the pub.

For anybody who is interested in visiting, the address of the pub
is:
The Duncan Edwards
Priory Road
Dudley
DY1 4EH

---------------------------------
[17] Lille helped PLC coffers
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Lille's Bruno Cheyrou::

"We were very impressed when we trained at such a massive stadium on the eve of the
match, and went to the store to get shirts for our kids. But, once we got on the
pitch, we did not show United any respect. Our coach Vahid Halilhodzic was afraid we
would watch them play more as spectators. When you play against such a team as
Manchester United, and you see people like Beckham and Giggs, you don't pay any
attention to who they are — you see them as opponents. "We certainly did not see them
as stars in the game. We were not afraid of them and were not impressed by their
reputations. We did not let them have any space to play it wide until the final
seconds. It was a very big night for Lille but from the moment we stepped on to the
pitch all that was forgotten."

---------------------------------
[16] Keano on Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Laurent Blanc is an outstanding player. He is composed on the ball but he also knows
how to get stuck in and he reads the game well. Hopefully, the understanding will
improve as he gets to know the lads."

---------------------------------
[15] More from Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Sometimes we just need to be a bit more boring. We cannot be winning 4-3 or 4-0 every
week. Maybe we need to become a bit more professional because we have come unstuck
over the years.Just take the Bayern Munich home match in the quarter-finals last year.
A 0-0 draw would not have been a bad result but we went for the win and ended up
losing 1-0 to a late goal. Maybe we have to realise a draw is not the end of the
world. We have been in Europe a good few years now  and eventually we have to learn we
need to have higher concentration levels. Whenever we have gone out in Europe it has
not been because teams have gone through us and scored great goals, it has been down
to lapses of concentration from set-pieces."

---------------------------------
[14] No longer the richest?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'MANCHESTER UNITED have lost their prized title of the world's richest club to arch
rivals Bayern Munich. European champions Bayern have overtaken Sir Alex Ferguson's
club in the money stakes and can now boast to be the biggest players in the game.
Sportswear giant adidas has agreed to buy a 10 per cent stake in Bayern, sending the
club's value soaring to £470million.  In contrast, United's market value has dropped
to £353.3million just a year after they became football's first £1billion club.
Bayern's new prosperity will see them emerge as bigger transfer players, with David
Beckham and Michael Owen among their top targets.'

That may be the case with value but we still have the bigger turnover and profit of
the two.

---------------------------------
[13] New Issue out Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by redend:
New issue of RED NEWS is out on Saturday - on sale outside Old Trafford. Or you can
order by post. ( http://www.forum.rednews.co.uk/ads/latest_issue.php )
CLICK HERE OR ON THE IMAGE

---------------------------------
[12] Other results
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Roma 0-0 Anderlecht
Lazio's 1-3 Nantes
Real Madrid 4-0 Lokomotiv Moscow 4-0
Boavista 3-1 Dynamo Kiev.
Dortmund 0-0 Liverpool in a game so boring I ended up counting German facial hair in
the crowd.
Panathinaikos 2-0 Real Mallorca
Arsenal 3-2 Schalke

---------------------------------
[11] city lose and Dunne can celebrate
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Cov 4 city 3

and Richard Dunne on the way out. Wor Lov it said: "He didn't turn in for training on
Sunday, and I just told him he wouldn't have any part to play tonight. I've never had
poor discipline at any club I've ever been at - and I won't at this one. He has had
disciplinary problems in the past, and pre-season I told him that if he ever did it
again I wouldn't put up with it the way he's had it in the past when it's just been a
fine and a slap on the hand. I've no regrets about that - the lads who came in did
very, very well."

Yes, so well they lost!

"We'll have to have a look at it. We've conceded a lot of goals and we've scored a lot
of goals, so we've got it half right at the moment. We're still learning - it's only
eight or nine games in charge, and a lot of things have pleased me. But the defending
is not one of them. We've conceded a lot and we've had two clean sheets - so there is
a lot to work on, I think."

---------------------------------
[10] UEFA on compensation
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Uefa have written offering compensation to each of the 102 clubs who had Champions
League and Uefa Cup matches cancelled last week after the terrorist attacks in
America. Separate formulas have been worked out depending whether the clubs had to
travel or not. The bill is likely to cost Uefa £5million. Uefa communications director
Mike Lee said: "A number of clubs have already indicated to us that as part of their
support for the postponement of the games they will not be pursuing compensation and
we appreciate that as a gesture of solidarity.".

---------------------------------
[9] Coruna on our group
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Deportivo La Coruna trainer Javier Irureta:

"The group is very even and Manchester also won in the 90th minute.  Despite their
victory, the group continues being even."

---------------------------------
[8] More from Keano
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We've been saying this since we've been in Europe for a good few years and eventually
we've got to learn that we need to be more professional and definitely have higher
concentration levels. That's why we have come unstuck when we've gone out of Europe.
It's not really that teams have gone through us and got a great goal against us. Their
goals have been down to lapses at set-pieces mainly. Hopefully these are things we
will learn as we go along."

---------------------------------
[7] Keano on Champs League
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
"That was important after conceding four goals on Saturday and sometimes we need to be
a bit more like this. Sometimes we need to be more boring if that's the way you want
to put it. We can't be winning games 4-3 or 4-0 every week. We need to be more
professional and that's maybe why we have come unstuck in Europe over the last few
years. You look at Bayern Munich last year at home and 0-0 would not have been that
bad a result, but we lost 1-0 to a late winner. We've got to realise that a draw is
not the end of the world and we've got to take it."

---------------------------------
[6] Exclusive translation of French reaction to the Lille game
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Exclusive translation By Marc

Platini :"Hi Laurent, I think it's the best team you have ever played in. "
Blanc :"I think so, we have an incredible potential. Even if today, we didn't  play
like we wanted, but it's partly because of the opponent."
Platini : "You have a news system, you need time but it will come."
Blanc : "Yeah, it's sure. The coach had told us to play on the wings because  we knew
that it would be packed in the middle, unfortunately we did rally not  respect that.
We tried too much through the middle, and there was no space at  all. With Van
Nistelrooy, who is tall and strong, we should have tried to  find him from crosses."
Platini : "You have played in Italy, Spain, the weather must be different  there ?"
Blanc : "Yeah, a little! I already have a cold"

Platini : "You were surprised by Lille ?"
Blanc : "No, I knew them. Very solid and difficult to break. They will make  suffer a
lot of teams."
Barthez :"The start of the season is not extraordinary but it can change very
quickly. It's just periods when we are not very lucky. Tonight, we did not concede
goal, we can open the champagne !"
Mikael :"The team is still in construction. A new system, two new players,  terrific
players. It will come, no problem."

---------------------------------
[5] More from Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the official site

European nights at Old Trafford are well known for their superb atmospheres. Are you
looking forward to experiencing that?

The Premiership atmosphere is good enough! It gets better than that?! I experienced
the Old Trafford atmosphere when I played here with Montpellier in the Cup Winners'
Cup a few seasons ago. I remember it well.

The atmosphere could and should be a huge plus for us, that will be a big help. We
need the fans to help us in the games and I'm sure they will.

Do you feel there is something missing in your career, as you've never really played
in the Champions League before?

I've played two games in the Champions League before - but they were just two
qualifying matches so I don't really count them. It's definitely something that has
been missing from my career, and that was one of the reasons why I said yes to United
when they asked me to join.

I know United will be playing some good games in the Champions League this season, and
I will be very honoured to play in these matches for United. I 'm looking forward to
it.

What do you think of the current format of the Champions League? Are there too many
games?

Yes, but that's true of all football, not just the Champions League. We don't have
enough time to rest between matches. They keep asking too much of the players to play
on Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, whenever. Before we used to play maybe forty or fifty
matches in a season. Now, it's more like eighty. That's too many.

What kind of a team are Lille? What kind of game can we expect?

They are a very good team, they play very well together, in a tight group. They defend
as a group and they attack as a group. They defend very well, they're very well
organised. They show a lot of solidarity. They played against Parma to reach the
Champions League group stage and that was a fantastic game. They are definitely a good
team, and they have a great history.

There was no luck involved in their win over Parma, they deserved to win the game
because they played very well. They played a stronger game than Parma - a very
physical game, they are a strong team. I just hope they don't play too well tonight!

---------------------------------
[4] Blanc speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the official site

'What have been your initial impressions of Manchester and of
Manchester United?

Everything is great. I knew the club, the stadium and the city already because I had
visited Eric Cantona when he was here. I knew this was a big club, and I knew the city
was fantastic. I've got a few friends at the club already - Fabien being the best.
He's helped me settle in really quickly.

Has Fabien been showing you around the place, then?

Yes, Fabien has been showing me the sights of Manchester - the city centre and so on.
I did get to know a little of the city when I was here with Eric. But in Manchester,
the best place for a player to go is Old Trafford!

Another French star, Zinedine Zidane, said that you have joined the
biggest club in the world. Do you agree?

Yes, I would agree with that. We know all the best clubs in Europe and definitely
Manchester United is one of them. It's an honour for me to be here and play for United.

And what did you think about your debut against Everton?

The team played well. It was a lovely day, the weather was fantastic and there were a
lot of people singing and chanting for me and Barthez. And we got the right result, as
well. It was great.

I did find it to be quite physical. The football here is more direct than French
football. There are a lot of duels between players, lots of contact because it is more
direct.

Are you looking forward to being a mentor to our young defenders?

I was a young player myself once, and I used to hate having 'teachers' on the pitch.
Age doesn't matter - everybody can bring something to the team, be they 18 or 35.
Maybe experience, maybe some skills, or some special talent. You have to make sure
that there is understanding between players and if there is, age is irrelevant. It's
all about players playing together.

I used to hate older players telling what I should do, what I shouldn't do or just
telling me to shut up. At United, everyone can say their own thing - everyone will be
able to have a say.

But when a young player has just discovered something, then maybe I can help them as I
have been there before and I know the situation. Then I can help them.

---------------------------------
[3] New Red News out on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by bar-knee:
Issue 80 is a new Red News on sale on Saturday - just £1.50.

Included in Red News 80 and unique to the fanzine (which you'll miss if you only check
the website and don't buy the mag)

The Red News take on the Jaap Stam departure with new details

Jaap Stam's ghost writer - exclusive interview with his opinions on the book, his
departure and what Jaap feels now

William Prunier interview - our two game legend. Find out his thoughts on Utd, his two
games, Blanc and Eric.

Coruna - an indepth look at the place, the team and all manner of insights from our
very own Basque Dave

Gossip - we know it is many people's favourite part of the site so we have our biggest
ever gossip column for this issue - 8 pages. A lot of gossip including...well, you'll
just have to wait and see.

A look at the lack of real quality video coverage of Utd games from the 50s - and why
that is

A review of the Athens trip

A tribute to Les Sealey

and much more.

Red News, not just United's first fanzine and the one with the most pages but out on
Saturday!

[2] New Bestie Video too
Posted Thursday, September 20, 2001 by redend:
NEW BESTIE VIDEO

( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005ABTO/rednewsunitesfir )
CLICK HERE FOR FULL INFO

Manchester United - The Official George Best Story  (10 SEPTEMBER 2001)