---------------------------------
[34] Misplaced optimism
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
Cheers for Kev spotting this at

( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TLA1/rednewsunitesfir )
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TLA1/rednewsunitesfir

for the city end of season review from the season before last. And this online review
comment...

'CITY FAN OR NOT, THIS VIDEO HAS EVERYTHING, DRAMA AND ECSTASY (CITY BEATING BLACKBURN
4-1 ON THE FINAL DAY OF THE SEASON, TO REGAIN PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL AGAIN FOR 2000-1
AND ONCE AGAIN THOSE MANCHESTER DERBY'S IT ALSO PORTRAYS THE KIND OF FOOTBALL THAT HAS
BEEN MISSING FOR SO LONG AT MAINE ROAD.  CITY ARE WELL AND TRULY BACK ON THE FOOTBALL
MAP. JOE FOR PRIME MINISTER'

And what happened next?

---------------------------------
[33] Butt on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Seba Veron is a different class, everyone knows he is a world-class
player and he has shown that from the start. He is a great acquisition for the club.
He does things other players can't do and that's why they paid so  much money for him.
ou learn from everybody and you never stop learning no  matter how old you are and how
much experience you have got.  You see things other players do and you try to emulate
that, you are  always trying to pick things up from other players. If you don't get
any challenges then a club fizzles out and there is  no way Man United will do that. I
would rather play 30 games a season for Manchester United than 50  for somebody else
and that is why I decided to stay."

---------------------------------
[32] Butt still happy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Everything's fine.  I have had a few weeks out since the Charity Shield just getting
fit. I have had a couple of reserve games and hopefully I will get my  chance soon. I
am happy with the situation at the minute and while it's  nice for other people to
think that you are good enough to spend a  lot of money on, nine people out of ten
know that you take no notice  of anything that is in the papers. Unless the manager
comes up to me and says something, then I take it  with a pinch of salt."

---------------------------------
[31] Atko tried to buy Bestie for Utd - when he was 37!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
Reevealed in Bestie's new book - just click on the Amazon link tot he right of the
news and order your copy through Amazon + help the web site.

Atkinson said to Best: "If you're a fraction as good as you used to
be, you'll do for me. Why don't you give it a go and see how it works
out." Best turned it down for fear of ruining the fans' memories of him. Too right.

---------------------------------
[30] More from Best
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If Fergie had been in charge when I was playing, maybe he would
have come and grabbed me when I went missing and things might not
have turned out the way they did."

Have to say Bestie, I do think Utd did try their best during your awols.

---------------------------------
[29] Belfast Boy on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
George Best:

"When you see how Alex Ferguson has protected people like  David Beckham and Ryan
Giggs, you have to say that they are more  aware of the problems of fame these days. I
certainly wouldn't like to think what might have happened to  Beckham if he had played
in my era. Ferguson dropped him when he missed training because, according to  him, he
had been looking after his ill son, Brooklyn, but Fergie has  still managed to keep
him happy behind the scenes. If that had happened in the 60s, quite a few managers
might have  said `screw him' and shown him the door. I think at the end of the day, if
a player is doing the business  for the club, then the club should make an effort when
things go  wrong.

No-one could ever have accused me of not doing it for United and if  someone from the
club had come and found me and spoken to me when I  went missing, I would have
listened. Although the fact that I was  suffering from an illness called alcoholism
meant that things might  still have turned out the same, perhaps. But no-one ever did
come."

---------------------------------
[28] Sky stats for Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
Head to Head
Ipswich have never won at Old Trafford in the Premiership
&Ipswich have not won here since their 2-1 win in May '84 - 6
meetings since in all comps
United have won 4 of the last 6 meetings here, including the last =

Ipswich have failed to score in 5 of their last 6 visits here,
including their last 3 ¿ not scored at Old Trafford since August '92,
when Chris Kiwomya scored in a 1-1 draw
2 of the last 4 meetings here have been drawn, the last in
November '93 (2 since), however these are the only stalemates in the
last 12 meetings here
Ipswich's visit here in March '95 saw a Premiership record 9-0 win
for United, with Andy Cole scoring 5 that day, a joint record with
Alan Shearer for the most goals in a Premiership match
No player has ever been sent off in this fixture
Ref: Neale Barry (Roxby) - 4 yellow cards in 2 Premiership games this season

Last Season: Man Utd 2 (Solskjaer 2) Ipswich 0 ' 23rd December 2000
Also: Ipswich 1 (Wilnis) Man Utd 1 (Beckham) ' 22nd August 2000

---------------------------------
[27] Opta Stats for Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
Us first
5 Games 5
  ATTACKING
13 Goals scored 5
2.60 Ave goals per game 1.00
56% Shooting Accuracy 46%
19% Goals to shots % 6%
  PASSING
2815 Passes 2064
84% Pass completion % 75%
  DEFENDING
74% Tackle success rate % 74%
10 Goals conceded 5
2.00 Ave goals conceded per game 1.00
  DISCIPLINE
4 Yellow cards 9
1 Red cards 1

---------------------------------
[26] Squads for Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
Gary Nev definitely out.

Manchester United (from): Barthez, Irwin, Blanc, Brown, Silvestre, P Neville, Beckham,
Veron, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, Solskjaer, van Nistelrooy, Chadwick, Johnsen,
Cole, Yorke, Fortune, Carroll.

Ipswich team (from): Sereni, Branagan, Makin, Wilnis, Hreidarsson, Clapham, Bramble,
McGreal, Venus, Holland, Magilton, Wright, Miller, Reuser, George, Stewart, Naylor,
Counago.

---------------------------------
[25] United Fans back PFA
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by redend:
IMUSA SUPPORTS PFA CALL FOR A FAIR DEAL.

The Independent Manchester United Supporters Association fully
support the PFA's call for a fair share of the massive amount of
money coming into the game from the new TV deals.

IMUSA chair, Mark Longden said:
"We believe the PFA should receive a guaranteed agreed percentage of
any money coming into the game via TV. OK a few high profile players
earn a lot of money nowadays but football has been played for over a
100 years. That's a lot of ex pro's who never earned a fortune, many
of whom are suffering the consequences health wise, of entertaining
the public."

He added:
"We have approached the FA, DCMS, Football trust etc to try to raise
the finances for a number of campaigns to improve the lot of the
match going fan and the only people who have ever supported us
financially are the PFA"

IMUSA press officer, Jules Spencer said:
"IMUSA sent a 10 man team of under 26 year olds out to Italy in July
for an Anti Racist 5 a side world cup competition. Without the help
of the PFA we would not have been able to do this and England would
have had no club representation out there"

---------------------------------
[24] Utd and Yankees further deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Paul off the IMUSA list

'From this week's Media Week

Man Utd and YankeeNets in play for TV mega deal

Although, following the terrible events of last week, thoughts in New York and around
the globe were about as far removed from the field of sporting action as they could
be, before the tragedy hit that city a deal was struck which could result in
far-reaching implications for sports power as a television money spinner.

Three of the world s sporting giants - the New York Yankees baseball team, the New
Jersey Nets basketball side and Manchester United football Club (nice to see they
recognise the FC) - are involved in a plan to set up a sports cable TV network, which
came a step closer to reality.

The so-called YES network - Yankees Entertainment and Sports - is due to launch in
March 2002, showing the three teams in action.

YankeeNets, a business merger of the Yankees and the Nets, last week
announced it had sold a 40% stake in the network to a group of powerful investors,
including Goldman Sachs Group and former AT&T cable TV business chief Leo Hindery Jr.

Hindrey, chairman of HL Capital Inc., was named chief executive of the new network,
tasked with trying to sell it to cable operators including Cable-Vision Systems Corp,
at the reported asking price of up to $180m (180 million US dollars or 122 million
pounds sterling), for the rights to carry the YES network to their seven million
subscribers in the New York metropolitan area.

While the bulk of the coverage will be broadcasts of Yankee and Nets games, the
network is also planning to air select games of Premiership champions Manchester
United, who have signed a marketing and promotional agreement with YankeeNets.'

---------------------------------
[23] Odds for Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by redend:
United to win is only 2/7 - hardly worth the bother - well at 50p that'd be a Massive
14p profit. Correct score is more interesting maybe, but considering our recent habit
of conceding early goals I've gone for Half Time : Ipswich - Full Time: United at
28/1.

Am I talking shite - almost certainly.

Manchester United     2/7
Ipswich Town     15/2
Draw     7/2

Correct Score Manchester United to Win
1-0   7/1
2-0   7/1
2-1   8/1
3-0   7/1
3-1   9/1
3-2   28/1
4-0   10/1
4-1   12/1
4-2   50/1
..
9-0   ??

HALF TIME : FULL TIME RESULTS
Manchester United   :  Manchester United   8/15
Manchester United   :  Draw   25/1
Manchester United   :  Ipswich Town   66/1
Draw   :  Manchester United   4/1
Draw   :  Draw   7/1
Draw   :  Ipswich Town   16/1
Ipswich Town   :  Manchester United   28/1
Ipswich Town   :  Draw   20/1
Ipswich Town   :  Ipswich Town   16/1

FREE BETS from ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
Sporting Odds for new users

---------------------------------
[22] First team to score on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by redend:
Arsenal     4/1
Manchester United     5/1
Liverpool     6/1
Blackburn     8/1
Sunderland     8/1
Fulham     8/1
Leicester City     11/1
Everton     12/1
Tottenham Hotspur     16/1
Charlton     16/1
Ipswich Town     18/1
Bolton     25/1

FREE BETS from ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
Sporting Odds for new users

---------------------------------
[21] The bloke who wrote Jaap's book ...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 21, 2001 by redend:
...talks exclusively to RED NEWS.

Look out for the new issue of RED NEWS on Saturday - outside Old Trafford (or (
http://www.forum.rednews.co.uk/ads/latest_issue.php ) by post. )

( http://www.forum.rednews.co.uk/ads/latest_issue.php )
INFO HERE

Plenty of arousing stuff in this issue - not least that exclusive interview with the
bloke who actually wrote Jaap's book. Well you didn't think Yip Jaap wrote it himself
did you?

More info in item [1] - do not be shy.