---------------------------------
[25] Watkins gets call up
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
United's lawyer Maurice Watkins has been called up by Premiership clubs to join the
negotiations with the PFA to prevent strike action.

---------------------------------
[24] Keane's problem
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Is with his patella, the knee cap itself causing the injury - the Mirror reports that
it will be a two month lay off.

---------------------------------
[23] Capello drops another hint
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I would like to thank United fans  for believing in me. They are one of the best
squads in the world. However,  they have to understand that I have to solve problems
with AS Roma, before concentrating on other clubs"

---------------------------------
[22] Squad for tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Carroll, van der  Gouw, Phil Neville, O'Shea, Blanc, Butt, Stewart, Irwin, Scholes,
Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer, Giggs, Chadwick, Wallwork, Fortune.

telephone Barnsley on 01226 211211 for ticket details

---------------------------------
[21] More from Jaap
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I have discovered that life in Italy as a footballer is fabulous. I enjoy my football
more here than at United, though I never expected this. Under Ferguson, I had to win
my tackles and headers and quickly give the ball to one of the other players. I had to
focus on my defensive job, nothing else. At Lazio, I am one of three central defenders
and play on the right. I can go forward whenever I have the chance."

---------------------------------
[20] Winstanley on his testimonial
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I couldn't be more grateful to Alex for sending so many of his top stars. There has
always been a good relationship between the two clubs. And Alex has a soft spot for
Barnsley as his brother, Martin, played for them. Martin and I were team-mates in the
60s."

---------------------------------
[19] Winstanley himself
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"There is no doubt Scholesy is an exceptional player — and he proved it yet again with
his display for England at the weekend. He possesses the talent and discipline that
makes him something really special. There is also no doubt in my mind that he will
continue to be a big force for United throughout this season and in the future.
Everybody seems to be having a go at Fergie and United at the moment. But, for me,
they are still the best in the country. They are still the team everybody else has to
beat. I think they will recover from their little wobble and I can certainly see them
retaining the title and, maybe, even winning the European Cup again. And Scholes will
play a vitally important part in whatever success they achieve."

---------------------------------
[18] Scholes to play tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Sun reports that Fergie has told Paul Scholes to play in Eric Winstanley's
testimonial tonight at Barnsley - United team includes

Phil Neville, Laurent Blanc, Denis Irwin, Nicky Butt, Ryan Giggs, Andy Cole, Dwight
Yorke and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

---------------------------------
[17] More from Crozier
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If Sven should win it then I would merely ask him to do it again in 2006. Sven
assures me he is more than happy with the job he has with England and it goes without
saying we are more than happy with him. He has already done a fantastic job as part of
the long term objective of England winning a major tournament by 2006."

---------------------------------
[16] Silvestre is quoted as saying this weekend
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I could be leaving by Christmas. Anybody can move. That's football. We'll see. It's
one of the biggest clubs in Europe. It's difficult to find a better club, a better
football life."

---------------------------------
[15] United face QPR
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
In the FA Youth Cup, provisionally to be played on Tuesday December 4th at Loftus
Road, kick off 7pm.

---------------------------------
[14] Becks on England on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I suppose it was harder to get ourselves up for this game because of
the last one (against Greece). It was a carnival atmosphere out there, I was surprised
by how good the fans were, there was no tension and people were just enjoying
themselves. The manager said to us beforehand that he wanted to win the game so  much,
and we tried to. The manager always says before the game who takes penalties, and
every  time we've played he's said it's me. It's an extra responsibility and an extra
added pressure but I just enjoy scoring goals."

---------------------------------
[13] In case you missed it
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Beckhams could become the new advertising faces of the Marks & Spencer ad campaign
- for £5m.

---------------------------------
[12] Stam in full
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I take no satisfaction in what's happening at all. "I'm a United supporter and I want
them to do well. I still like United  very much and I hate it when they lose a game.
It's nice that people think I'm a good player again after some doubted  me, but it's
not like I need to prove to United I'm still a top  defender. Wes is very young and
he's got to keep going like he is, concentrating on his football and ignoring what
other people are saying. Wes can be a very big player for United."

---------------------------------
[11] More from Best
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"All my mates at United are going to hate me for saying this, but I'd be  surprised if
the team win anything this season, including the Champions  League. A few losses
should wake them up and make them a bit hungrier - they  have had it too easy for too
long. And it would be an excellent start for the poor sod who has to fill  Alex
Ferguson's shoes. It would be a shame for Fergie to walk away empty-handed, but he's
done  pretty well: a treble, two doubles and too many Premiership wins to count.
Fergie's been telling us he's under massive stress, but if he want some  silver he has
to make changes. He's done it before, he can do it again."

---------------------------------
[10] George Best urges action by Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
"If Fergie wants to make a fight of it, he needs to take some drastic
action. I would play Roy Keane alongside Wes Brown as the middle two. Laurent Blanc,
I'm afraid, was not a good buy. He'd have to go. I'd  also play two up front: Ruud van
Nistelrooy alongside Dwight Yorke or  Andy Cole. And I mean alongside.The players have
lost their edge and are just not gelling at  the back. Now, thankfully, Liverpool and
Leeds, among others, have raised their game and we have months of good football to
look forward to."

Thankfully - Bestie, what you saying!

---------------------------------
[9] Keane - mistake to play?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
He has returned home after the injury flared up on Sunday, will not fly first class as
planned to Iran and may need an operation immediately - he will speak to the Utd
medical staff on Monday.

Mick McCarthy:

"His knee has stiffened up overnight and it would be unfair to ask him to play two
matches in five days."

---------------------------------
[8] Don't worry, city do the same
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A Serbian singer walked on stage to find one man had bought all 4,000 tickets to get
a solo performance. Pop star Goca Trzan burst into tears but the fan eventually
persuaded her to carry on with the show. The 30-year-old Serbian businessman also
asked her to marry him.'

---------------------------------
[7] Maradona rocks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
By Our French correspondent

'A one hour itw with Maradonna (recorded a year ago) broadcast last night on french tv.

Asked who is currently the world best player..."I thought Owen, after  his goal at the
WC 98, was going to become the greatest. But, this  English - he could injur himself
by getting in a cab. The star in  England is Beckham. But that should be Owen. The
problem with the
players at the moment is that they shine and then disappear. Rivaldo  is by far the
greatest player in the world."

I don't always agree with him, but if you ask me the guy is a f***ing
star.

And, great goal by Eric in his testimonial. Past 2 players, hammered
the ball into the roof of the net. F***ing star too. Veron also
scored a good one.

---------------------------------
[6] IMUSA meeting in London tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
London IMUSA Meetings

IMUSA members who are not based in Manchester have often felt excluded and unable to
contribute, so we've decided to hold additional meetings in central London, which
should be easily accessible to IMUSA members in the South East of the country.

Meetings will be held once a month on Mondays.

The first one is scheduled for 12 November in the upstairs bar of the Princess Louise
pub.

Address: 208-209 High Holborn, London WC1V 7EP, very near Holborn tube station.

The meeting will start around 7.30-8pm, but the pub is open early and does good food
for those who work in London and don't want to go home first.

Non-members are welcome to attend and can join on the night (£5 annual membership).

---------------------------------
[5] Silvestre quotes - deep throat or not
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
We're still trying to bring confirmation as to whether the 'I could be out by
Christmas' quotes accredited to Silvestre on Sunday are true or not. Red News broke
the story Friday that the back page headlines attributing new criticism by Mikael were
actually out of date re-hashed old ones and there has so far been nothing in France
about the "christmas" thing - would he have spoken directly to an english paper in
Australia. Perhaps the biggest mystery is that he travelled all that way for the 1-1
draw between France and Aus and only played the last 7 minutes. Well worth it. Not.

---------------------------------
[4] Today's the day
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
That there will be a big team meeting apparently (although several will still be
missing because of international returns, and Fergie's main man himself, keano, will
presumably be missing - as doubts grow that he may need an operation perhaps even this
week, keeping him out for several months) where Fergie will ask the players for a
question and answer session and reflect on this season.

Fergie has given a candid post-Liverpool interview for the Premiership programme
tonight where this was hinted at - and the Observer yesterday said that Fergie is not
just peeved at Scholes but Becks, Giggs, Cole and several of the defenders. Whatever,
let's hope that whatever happens at the meeting today is kept well and truly behind
closed doors. No more leaks! (if we get called by someone 'in the know' it means that
the press do too...)

---------------------------------
[3] Becks on the pitch invader
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Saturday during the game

"The fan just came up and hugged me. I was a bit surprised. Had I been playing for
United and had we been away at Leeds I would probably have run the other way"

---------------------------------
[2] Sven talk grows
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
In a number of weekend papers that Sven is the man we want as the next boss.

FA Cheif Adam Crozier said: "He's going nowhere even if we win the World Cup next
summer, Sven will not be going. We want him at the helm for the 2006 World Cup and
even beyond"

---------------------------------
[1] Great United Songs Request
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, November 12, 2001 by bar-knee:
Regular Red News readers will know that twice in the past we have produced a
collection of classic Utd fans' songs entitled Great united Songs.

It is over three years since the last edition and as a result have been deluged by
requests for a reprint. We plan to go one better than that and in our Christmas
edition enclose the latest updated edition of Great United Songs.

This is where we will need your help. We already have many classics from the previous
editions but want this to be the definitive collection of Utd terrace chants.

So if you have any of the previous editions look through them and if you spot a
classic missing - send it in to us.

Alternatively just send us a classic Utd song in that you think we might not have.
We're not looking for something a mate came up with and only got going once but every
Utd classic that was sung by the Utd crowd - be it the past, present or distant past.

It can be the anti city songs, the celebrations of our great victories, players'
chants - but please send us in any songs that were classics in to us so this can
include as many as are remembered.

Also if you know the author of the songs all the better so we can put names to them.
But most importantly of all spread the word amongst your mates so that we get sent
loads of Utd classics.

Time is short - the deadline for sending any songs we may have missed is Saturday
November 17th. So please send anything and everything for the next edition of Great
United Songs to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]