---------------------------------
[36] Elber vs. RVN - Head to Head
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:

Opta Stats - Giovane Elber v Ruud van Nistelrooy

Giovane Elber || Ruud van Nistelrooy
Date of birth: 23.07.1972 || 01.07.1976
Country: Brazil || Netherlands
Position Forward || Forward
Minutes On Pitch 307 || 444
Goals 6 || 3
Shots On Target 9 || 7
Shots Off Target 4 || 8
Goal Assists 1 || 2
Total Passes 73 || 120
Pass Completion 58% || 71%
Tackles Made 1 || 2
Tackles Won 100% || 50%
Blocks 0 || 0
Clearances 0 || 2
Interceptions 0 || 0
Fouls 4 || 13
Offside 8 || 16
Yellow Cards 0 || 0
Red Cards 0 || 0
Index score 1406 || 799

---------------------------------
[35] Something to look at B4 KO tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
The 1999 European Cup Final.
Bayern Munich v Manchester United.
Bayern lead 1-0 and we're into injury time...

( http://www.cakeprojects.com/itvdigital/tuesday20nov )
http://www.cakeprojects.com/itvdigital/tuesday20nov

Thanks to James (Atty) on the IMUSA list

STREET DADDY BLUE

[IMAGE REMOVED FROM EMAIL NEWS - Check http://www.rednews.co.uk]

The Street Daddy Blue is the ultimate personal pipe. Not only for its usability but
for its sheer beauty and precision. Designed using heat exchanger science, the Street
Daddy Blue is designed to disperse the heat created when smoking, so the smoke is
inhaled at a more palatable temperature. And it's got looks to die for. It's
comparable to the sleek looks and attention to detail of an Audi TT and comes with a
neck string so you'll never lose it. Smoking is all about the personal experience. The
preparation of your desired substance, the smoking process and the inevitable
relaxation. Take your smoking to new heights, get a Street Daddy Blue. Price: £29.99
Smokin'

http://www.ukaffiliates2.com/u/boys/t.asp?id=57544&p=http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/cgi-bin/BoysStuff.storefront/en/Product/?prod=1235

---------------------------------
[34] Academy success
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
United's Under 17s and Under 19s both beat Bolton Wanderers in Academy action.

The Under-19s won 2-1 with both goals from Chris Humphries

The Under 17s won 4-1 with ever improving Eddie Johnson notching a hat-trick and Mads
Timm also getting on the scoresheet.

---------------------------------
[33] 43 years ago....... a team lay in the snow
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Sir Bobby Charlton, Franz Beckenbauer and other representatives of both clubs are
attending a memorial ceremony today at the small memorial near the airfield to honour
team-mates and all the others who died at Munich.

---------------------------------
[32] More from Che Govanor - yes, yes yes, buy the T shirt etc
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
"I think it will be important to get a win, but the important thing is to take
something from the game,"

"That means we have to give the performance we did at Deportivo. In terms of a team
performance, that was a good one even though it lost us two goals in the last four
minutes. I hope we are in the same position again." [Personally thought we always
looked like conceding in the second half in La Coruna and it wasn't just the last 4
minutes but who are we to doubt the wizard]

"There is never really a lot between the sides. Obviously, we were disappointed last
year, losing the two games by the odd goal and we have to up our game. I think winning
the European Cup has helped them. I have watched a lot of their games this season -
they got off to a sort of sticky start, but they are now back at the top and playing
some very strong stuff. It is not going to be an easy game, but the important thing
for us is to make sure we don't give them an easy time. We have got to step up a level
to play against this Bayern side."

---------------------------------
[31] Hitzfeld puts himself out of the frame again
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Ottmar Hitzfeld on the United job

"It is an honour to be linked with United but I will not be joining them. I have a
contract with Bayern until 2004 and expect to see that out. Some people say that
contracts are only there to be broken but that is not my game. I have never failed to
honour a contract and I still have work to do at Bayern. It's a job I love."

"I know my name is always mentioned as a successor to my great friend Alex but I'm not
the one who puts myself in the headlines. Alex has become an institution at Old
Trafford. Anyone who takes the position will have to have strong shoulders. It is a
burden that would weigh many people down."

Franz Beckenbauer said: "As far as I am concerned, Ottmar has a job here for life. If
he doesn't want to be coach after 2004 we will create a job for him. If he wants to
stay on as coach he can sign another contract. He is the best coach we have ever had.
Everything is perfect since he has been here."

[See how it's done Martin?]

---------------------------------
[30] Jaap in the dark
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
"I know I'm banned from playing for Lazio but beyond that I'm in the dark. So much has
happened to me since the summer, it's hard to take it all in. One minute I was happily
settled in Manchester, the next I find myself in Rome with a drugs charge hanging over
my head like a great weight."

---------------------------------
[29] Dermot back after demotion
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Referee Dermot Gallagher is back reffing in the Premiership on Saturday, ending his
relegation to the Nationwide after failing to send off Leeds' Robbie Keane after his
little shove on Becks.

---------------------------------
[28] Direct from the Theatre of Comedy....
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Danny Twatto and Manchester city (along with some help from the Australian FA) give us
more to laugh at as the little twat wasted a trip round the world. He missed the 2-1
defeat at Portsmouth on Saturday [as if he'd have made a difference] because he flew
home to Australia to play in the first leg of the World Cup qualifier against Uruguay
which Australia won 1-0.

Unfortunately they found out to their horror that he still had to serve a FIFA ban and
couldn't play in either leg. Twatto was sent off in a qualifier against New Zealand,
ironically for kicking his city team-mate Chris Killen. The Aussies thought he had
served the three-match ban by missing recent friendlies [TWATS] but FIFA told them
that he must sit out three World Cup clashes.

Christ, even city wouldn't be that stupid...... would they?

---------------------------------
[27] Sami Hyypia defends the bindippers flowing attacking style.
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
"Barcelona can criticise us all they like, but at the end of last season the bottom
line was we won trophies, and they didn't," he said. That tells you all you have to
know.

"In Spain, I think the mentality is to play exciting, open football as well as win
prizes, but in England, the emphasis is not quite the same. [Depends which team
mate!!!!!!!!!!]

"I don't know if it is a lack of respect for us, because everyone is entitled to their
opinion, but it isn't nice to read we're betraying football. We have to win games. We
were criticised for our performance in Barcelona last season, but the fact is, they
forced us to defend, and if you are forced back, then you can't attack. Simple. Under
those circumstances, we defended well, and more importantly we got a result that
ultimately allowed us to go on and win the semi-final against them. That's all that
counts."

[Plus ca change.......]

---------------------------------
[26] We want our Match of the Day back....
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
According to the Mirror, apparently the head of the Beeb and ex United director, Greg
Dyke made an offer to ITV to buy back Match of the Day highlights.

Last Saturday's show, at 10.30pm, featured Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal,
but attracted just 2.9million viewers.
That was less than watched the game between Wrexham and Hereford in the cup.....on BBC.

Apparently Dyke made the tongue-in-cheek offer at a meeting with ITV executives last
week. A BBC spokesman was quoted (presumably made up quote then)

"Of course we would be seriously interested in buying the rights back from ITV, but
only at the right price."

ITV Sport and ITV Digital are in trouble after paying millions to win back big-time
football from the BBC and Sky, but failing to attract viewers.

It is likely they will have to off-load at least one of their major contracts to save
cash-strapped Digital from closing.

ITV paid £183m for Premiership highlights but had disastrous ratings of 5million in a
7pm peak-time slot. There were complaints about the presenting team - which includes
Ally McCoist and Andy Townsend - a lack of action and too many adverts.

Red News opinion.  "The only good think about ITV's football coverage is Clive
Tyldesley.  They've NEVER been any good at covering football.  Saint and Greavsie were
bad, but this lot are crap.  We say bring back Match of the Day with Hansen and Trev
but replace Linekar with Paddy Crerand!"

---------------------------------
[25] Frankie Stapleton on tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
"Yes, I think it will be tough for them, but I don't think people are expecting them
to go there and win, so maybe the pressure is off a little. They will need to show
discipline and doggedness, something they've not always shown this season, if they are
to get something from the game."

"Things haven't always gone as they might have wished this season, but they know they
can play better and with two games in Europe before Christmas, I think four points
will be the target - they'll settle for that.

"United never play for a draw. But they must remain disciplined, that is the key. They
certainly have the ability in the team but they are away from home and must adjust to
that."

"I think they will stick to the 4-5-1 formation I can't see them changing that.
Ferguson feels this is the way in Europe and I can't see him swapping the system
around. At home they may want more support for the front man, but away I think it
works."

"Bayern employ a similar formation themselves with Elber up front alone and players
getting up there to support him. Effenberg is a key man for them, he always is. He
didn't play as much for them last season because of injury and as a result they didn't
always look as fluent. He is a very good player."

---------------------------------
[24] Come to see United.....
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Message from TSJ in Munich

Bayern have sold out for us tonight.........all other CL games this season have
averaged a meager 10K.......

---------------------------------
[23] Is she trying to out quote Jordan?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Victoria [who, we hear you ask?] on how her hubby feels when scoring a goal

"It's certainly an exceptional feeling - but it's not as good as having sex with me.
He'd better not say anything to the contrary." [perhaps the songs true then]

"David's very happy to be with me and I with him. That bond crosses into his game. If
you're happy at home, you're happy at work." [Not if you're a scouser you're not]

---------------------------------
[22] Welcome back Becks and co
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Munich keeper on the "other" game played in Munich by some of the United lads this
season.

"The players who played in that particular match should be looking forward to coming
back to the stadium."

"I had forgotten all about it within three days. It doesn't mean anything now, I don't
even think about it." [what - ever? Perhaps he sets himself a daily reminder.......
not to think about it each day - along with his Barca one?]

---------------------------------
[21] Giggs confident
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
"Player for player we feel we have as good a team as anyone in Europe and we've proved
that.  We can win this match and we can win the trophy. If we work hard and produce a
performance then we can beat anyone in Europe home or away."

"We can win in Munich and make people sit up and fear us. We didn't perform away last
year, but this year we have the confidence to come to somewhere like Munich and get a
result."

"Our performances have improved away from home. They are definitely better than last
season and away from home we look more solid. We are not as vulnerable as we were. We
take control of the game now, which is what the manager wants."

"We want to wipe away the memory of that quarter-final defeat. Bayern are strong,
there's no question about that. They've been there, seen it, done it, but we still
believe we're capable of winning over here."

---------------------------------
[20] UEFA give hope to sweaty socks
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
UEFA Director of Communications on the Old Firm moving to in England

"There isn't a proposal for us to consider - Uefa can only look at something when it
comes forward through the national association concerned.  Therefore, if Celtic and
Rangers want to pursue this, obviously the first port of call has to be the SFA, the
SPL and their counterparts in England."

"We generally take the view that clubs should play in their own domestic setting, both
in terms of leagues and also cup competitions - that would be our starting point." [No
- it should be your finishing point!]

"The Fifa consideration would also be relevant and the starting point for both Fifa
and Uefa is that national association football is the basis of the game and people
would normally be expected to play in their own country's competitions - that goes
without saying."

"If the two bodies in Scotland and the two bodies in England were all clear in their
views then it is something that Uefa would have to consider and our executive
committee would then have to look at that proposal, if submitted through the two
national associations concerned."

---------------------------------
[19] Munich goalie Kahn(t) fault Fab
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by Doc'sArmy:
Oliver Kahn on Fab

"Goalkeepers aren't allowed to make any mistakes and sometimes we have good periods,
other times they can be very bad," Kahn told French newspaper L'Equipe.

"But as far as Barthez is concerned, there is nothing to say, he is very strong."

---------------------------------
[18] Middlesbrough (A) Applications
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
Due in today - Tuesday 20th November

Boro(A)- Sat 15 December

We have received an allocation of approximately 1,100 tickets priced £22 for adults
and £14 for under 16s/over 65s. Postal applications only are now being accepted from
Season Ticket Holders only, enclosing voucher 28 (duly completed), relevant payment,
sae and the following 3 match vouchers properly affixed to this season's official
voucher sheet (2001/2002): 31 (Lille), 32 (Deportivo) and 33 (Olympiakos).

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 17:00 on
Tuesday 20 November. Please note, we anticipate being heavily oversubscribed and a
postal ballot will be held to determine successful applicants.

Last updated: 13:53, 12 November 2001.

---------------------------------
[17] Denis: Back to school!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"Since the opening day of the season against Fulham, we have conceded  goals down to
individual schoolboy errors right up to the game  against Liverpool.

"When we start cutting those kind of goals out then we will look more  solid and feel
more solid.

"The game against Leicester was a start I suppose and hopefully that  will give us the
kick we need.

"We've picked it up and there's still a massive (You're touching  lazer blue cloth now
Denis, that's twice!) desire at this club to win  trophies and I think you will find
that over the next six or seven  months."

---------------------------------
[16] Denis goes all Maine Road on us!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"Of course that hurt," he said. "But we didn't perform anywhere near  to our potential
against Liverpool.

"We just didn't seem to win the 50/50s or get to the second balls,  which disappointed
us an awful lot.

"We're always a team that works hard in training, but after that  defeat the appetite
in training over the last two weeks has been  massive to get things right.

[ADVERT]

THE SPY CALCULATOR

[IMAGE REMOVED FROM EMAIL NEWS - Check http://www.rednews.co.uk]

Basically its a normal working calculator but with a concealed microphone in it that
transmits up to 100 ft to your receiver headset. There are plenty of sinister and
perverted uses you could put this to - and at only £19.99 it's a bargain.

http://www.ukaffiliates2.com/u/boys/t.asp?id=57544&p=http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/cgi-bin/BoysStuff.storefront/en/Product/?prod=1234
[/ADVERT]

---------------------------------
[15] Fergie doing the kicking?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
I'm waiting for the players to kick into gear, which we all know they  are capable of
doing,".

"I don't think they will be far away because I think they have had  the last wake-up
call with the Liverpool match.

"I think Bayern at this moment are the strongest team in Europe.

"They have matched their league form with their Champions League form  very well.

"Real Madrid have been the most spectacular and their form has been  very good, but
their domestic form has not been as good as Bayern's.

"I also think Bayern have improved from when they won the European  Cup.

"I think the test of tomorrow will be a good one for my players and I  think they
should look forward to it."

---------------------------------
[14] Sunderland / Ticketmaster - IMUSA strikes back
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
IMUSA (( http://www.imusa.org ) http://www.imusa.org ) representatives have recently
met with lawyers at a Manchester law firm who are advising us on compensation claims
for those fans refused entry at the Stadium of Light.

The lawyers have advised that based on the strength of information we have currently
made available to them that there is a reasonable expectation that fans who purchased
tickets for the fixture between Manchester United and Sunderland and were refused
entry to the stadium can expect to receive compensation for the 'loss of enjoyment' of
the match plus the cost of the ticket and their travel expenses.

The Lawyers have made contact with Sunderland AFC and have asked IMUSA to provide them
with a complete list of all those whom we are aware of who have been affected by this
Friday (23/11/01).

Therefore any fans who have yet to contact IMUSA on this matter should do so
immediately via email by Thursday 22nd November at the following address
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[13] And Gary Nev agrees:
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"We've suffered quite a lot of criticism lately, so we'll be making  sure that in the
next couple of months we put ourselves in a position  where we can challenge come
February and March.

"In terms of getting back on track, only time will tell," he told Sky  Sports. "We've
lost three games already and we cannot afford to lose  too may more. We've got 'cup
finals' right the way through to the end  of the season."

"We can obviously play a lot better,"

"We did a lot of things we wanted to. It was an important win with  such a big game on
Tuesday in Munich."

---------------------------------
[12] Keano: "Our own biggest critics"
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"I hope it was the start of better things to come," he said. "We  haven't played
particularly well this season. But it was a good performance  against Leicester, two
good goals and a clean sheet and we are pleased with  that. But we know there is a
long way to go.

"There has been a lot of criticism towards the players and the  manager and the best
way to answer that is on the football pitch. We are our own  biggest critics. We do
our talking on the pitch.

"I always think that come May we will be in with a shout anyway. You  aren't going to
win every match and you have to accept that but our  performances have been
disappointing."

[ADVERT]

LOSE THAT EURO AWAY BELLY - Electronic Muscle Stimulator Unit

[IMAGE REMOVED FROM EMAIL NEWS - Check http://www.rednews.co.uk]

The PRO:FORMTM unit will build and shape muscle fast. This Professional Electronic
Muscle Stimulation unit is like no other model available. Developed in conjunction
with The World's Strongest Man contender, Fraser Tranter - a Guinness World record
holder for bench-pressing the greatest weight in a 24 hour period - PRO:FORMTM is
clinically proven to work when you don't want to.

Bye Bye Belly
http://www.ukaffiliates2.com/u/boys/t.asp?id=57544&p=http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/cgi-bin/BoysStuff.storefront/en/Product/?prod=1107

[/ADVERT]

---------------------------------
[11] Ex dipper gets in on the act
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
As Ziege reckons:

"Manchester United have got more weaknesses than forces. Most of the  players change
their positions very often, which makes it very  difficult for any opponent.

"When United are in good shape they can destroy any rival in the  world, and Ole
Gunnar Solskjaer especially is very dangerous. But the  team go through a period of
being weak in every game." (Not like  Spurs of course!)

"Fabien Barthez is making a lot of mistakes and Laurent Blanc, who  has never been a
very fast player, has difficulties in communicating  with his team-mates due to the
language barrier. Furthermore, Juan  Sebastian Veron is not a typical defensive
midfielder."

---------------------------------
[10] First Goalscorer
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
Van Nistelrooy    5/1
Solskjaer    6/1
Cole    7/1
Yorke    7/1
Scholes    9/1
Beckham    12/1
Giggs    14/1
Veron    16/1
Keane    18/1
Butt    20/1
Chadwick    20/1
Irwin    25/1
Brown    33/1
Blanc    40/1
P Neville    50/1
G Neville    66/1
Silvestre    66/1

RHT: Monsieur Blanc with a power header from our first corner - 40/1

Spank bookie ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 )
here. (in your dreams)

---------------------------------
[9] Elber plays the "foreigner" card *Warning* - sad 70's rock pun
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"Our defeat isn't a backwards step for us. Against Manchester United  we will show
much more concentration and be "cold as ice" in front of  goal."

---------------------------------
[8] Hitzfeld on Becks V Lizarazu
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"This will be a great challenge for Bixente, but it will not be the  first time for
him he will have faced Beckham. Up to now, he has made  an excellent impression in
those duels."

---------------------------------
[7] Half Time : Full Time
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
Bayern Munich  :  Bayern Munich    12/5
Bayern Munich  :  Draw    16/1
Bayern Munich  :  Manchester United    25/1
Draw  :  Bayern Munich    4/1
Draw  :  Draw    4/1
Draw  :  Manchester United    13/2
Manchester United  :  Bayern Munich    25/1
Manchester United  :  Draw    14/1
Manchester United  :  Manchester United    4/1

RHT: Would like to go for Bayern Munich  :  Manchester United but, with Munich firm
favourites, would expect a difference in odds between this and the reverse Manchester
United  :  Bayern Munich.

Burn cash ( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) here

---------------------------------
[6] Kahn gets his lederhosen damp
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"It is obvious that Manchester United have got problems in their defence. We must try
to benefit from that."

---------------------------------
[5] Hitzfeld no idiot
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"We will not believe in people trying to tell us Man U (ahem, that's  your job
application in the bin!) is in a crisis. They are still an outstanding team and one of
the hottest favourites for winning this seasons's Champions League.

"We need to be in a first-class shape to beat them, just to show a usual performance
will be not enough"

[Don't forget - the match lasts 90 minutes plus injury time]

---------------------------------
[4] You know the score ...
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
Manchester United to Win by:

1-0   7/1
2-0   7/1
2-1   7/1
3-0   16/1
3-1   14/1
3-2   25/1
4-0   40/1
4-1   33/1
4-2   50/1

RHT: 2-1 would be nice.

( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) SportingOdds

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie breaks silence
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"Obviously a win is important when you are going into a game like Munich on Tuesday.

"It is going to be a big match and winning is very important. We have some big games
coming up but I think we are looking at every match as a big game now."

---------------------------------
[2] Hitzfeld: Nein!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
"There were never any talks or discussions between me and Manchester United.

"I feel honoured to be mentioned along with this club, but I'm happy  in Munich and my
contract runs until 2004."

[ADVERT]

Jackal Paintball Kit

[IMAGE REMOVED FROM EMAIL NEWS - Check http://www.rednews.co.uk]

The JackalPack paintball kit is everything you need to get blasting paintballs off and
get the adrenaline pumping. And boy do they blast off! On our test day we tried loads
of different markers (the new PC name for a paintball gun) and this was voted 'Best
Paintball Pack' for under £250.00 And it only costs £149.99 Why did it win this award?
DIE SCUM

http://www.ukaffiliates2.com/u/boys/t.asp?id=57544&p=http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/cgi-bin/BoysStuff.storefront/en/Product/?prod=1226

[/ADVERT]

[1] United Unter-Swein Hunds
Posted Tuesday, November 20, 2001 by redend:
OK forget the limp attempt at German - we're under dogs OK:

RHT: Decent odds but a tough call for the lads. They're no mugs these bookies are they?

Bayern Munich    11/10
Manchester United    21/10
Draw    11/5

( http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0 ) SportingOdds