RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[29] Drink and be merry
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
The England team, photographed having a night out in Cleopatras nightclub ( sounds
like a student dive in Sale) in Dubai have had the event defended by the FA. Nicky
Butt was one of the party - unlike him to be out and about, of course...

FA spokesman Paul Newman said: "The players are here to relax and nobody breached any
of the rules or regulations Sven has set down. The players went to the club with
Sven's blessing. He knows it's three weeks to the Sweden game and they were in the VIP
suite and behaving themselves. Sven has said this is about a week of head-clearing and
time with their families. Chilling out, really."

---------------------------------
[28] The King, Version 1, back The King, Version 3?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Law on Ruud

“Ruud is just going to get better and better. You do get marked a lot tighter in your
second season once you have shown you can score goals like he has done. It is an
inevitable consequence of such success. The second year is notoriously harder but Ruud
is such a world-class player that I don’t think he’ll be bothered by that at all. He
is of world class calibre and I think he will be just even better next season. To
expect 35 goals again is a lot but that’s what everyone will be expecting. He can do
it. You have to be in a good side and get the ammunition and United will provide him
with that. I believe he’ll do it again. I rate him as one of the best strikers I have
ever seen."

---------------------------------
[27] Fergie wants transfer windows
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
where you can only trade in January and close season

"I have concentrated transfer activity to the close season for some time and this is
the way I can see things going."

---------------------------------
[26] But Silvestre drops move hint
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Not for the first time either from a player who should learn when saying nothing is
the best course

"I want to stay at Manchester, of course, but I am convinced that if a big club were
offering me the chance to play at my favourite position, I would seriously think about
leaving. I am taking it well now but at the start it was hard to cope with. However,
my role I guess at the moment is to show I am capable of playing in both positions. I
have got used to it."

---------------------------------
[25] Talk of Old Trafford 2003 Final grows
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
First the King now Bobby Charlton - surely need to nip this talk in the bud as it did
us no good for this year.

"Being in the final next year would be too good to miss and we'll have a good go at
that. It can happen, absolutely. We have good management, good coaches, good players
and if we're lucky with injuries then there's no reason why we shouldn't do well. I
expect that we would do well and what a carrot at the end of the day to be playing at
home in the Champions League final. I don't know if it's right really. I think if a
team gets to the final and it's their own ground it's too much of an advantage. I
think they should quickly try to move it around but it's obviously difficult to do
that otherwise they would do it."

---------------------------------
[24] Bizarre or what
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Accoring to pages 64/65 of today's SUN, Gerard Houllier has said that "Danny Murphy is
Platini of England".

The piece says "...he reckons the Kop star is the nearest thing England have to Michel
Platini." and that "He reminds me so much of Platini because of how brilliantly Danny
can read the game."

Methinks the May sunshine has affected Houllier's mind.

Platini? Figurini Panini maybe....

---------------------------------
[23] Transfer season already starts
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Liverpool buy Lille midfielder Bruno Cheyrou for £4m

---------------------------------
[22] Fergie backs Veron and Argentina
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I hope Seba (Veron) has a fantastic World Cup. The best thing that could happen for
me and Manchester United would be for Argentina to win it.  Players like (Roy) Keane,
(David) Beckham, (Wes) Brown, (Nicky) Butt, (Paul) Scholes and (Fabien) Barthez are
established here. But Veron has had to suffer all the criticism.  So I feel if he
leads his country to victory, it'll be good for us.

He started to get criticism at the time of the World Cup draw and I wondered if there
was another agenda at work. I read an article saying this was a wild accusation. But
it has to be said that criticism of Veron accelerated after England and Argentina were
drawn together."

---------------------------------
[21] Remember and write to us!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
One subject we're after stuff for is United petitions. Remember signing a Robbo must
stay one back in 83 - if you remember others, even ones going way back or have any
funny anecdotes for an article we're planning send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[20] Mick McCarthy on Nigeria game tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I am leaning towards starting with as strong a team as I can. As far as I am aware,
Roy is fine, and I'll be talking to him before I name my team."

---------------------------------
[19] BBC bias?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
I took your cue and voted for Fergie on the BBC site, but I think Alan Green's running
the vote 'cos every time a member of my family voted (5 of us) the percentage for
Fergie went DOWN. From an opening 30.19% it somehow dropped to 30.12% after 4 or 5
votes.

another paranoid Red?

Steve

---------------------------------
[18] Harry Kewell given Leeds contract warning
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Peter Ridsdale

"He will not be allowed to leave on a Bosman transfer. I would think that the club
will sit down with Harry some time before Christmas to discuss the possibility of him
signing a new contract. I cannot comment on what his plans and ambitions are, but
clearly we would have to look closely at his situation if a new long-term contract
couldn't be agreed"

---------------------------------
[17] Silvestre to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
he is out of contract in june 2003.

"Manchester had other priorities (with Keane and Beckham). We will speak  about the
new contract when the time is right. But my decision is taken."

---------------------------------
[16] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"As for resting during games (due to rotation), In can have all that when I'm 35 and
picking up my pension"

Gary Neville

---------------------------------
[15] ZiZi TOPS
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by redend:
The Plypin reviews the European Cup 'n all that.

At around about the time some of us would have been contemplating `hitting the stair'
in some Glasgow house of little repute, I write as I am coming around to prepare
myself for another day at the madhouse. A time to reflect upon what might have been.

Real Madrid, probably the best club side in the world, found themselves in exactly the
same situation as we would have done - barring some first half injury time. Having
finished 3rd, the only way to automatically qualify for the Champions League - why
can't they go back to what it was, and is, by calling it the European Cup? - meant
having to win the trophy outright. We know how it is possible for the best to come
3rd, although in our case it was thinly veiled contempt for `lesser' opposition -
until it was too late - in selection of both team and tactics.

Although I never thought that Leverkusen were going to be lambs to the slaughter, you
have to feel for them falling between 3 stools at the last. It makes you wonder what
would have happened had spurs prevailed in the last game of the '99 season at OT,
after going a goal up. In that parallel universe, it might well have been us that won
the double.

After all the shabby dealings at itv digital - they even renegued on the settlement
terms they promised to staff if they stayed on until the bitter end - the money in the
game is due for a severe retrenchment. It is of no great surprise that one `loyal'
cripple has decided to sign on the line in the recent past, after months of
prevarication. It is also no surprise that Stuart Prebble walked away with a lottery
win, whilst the minions that worked on, wonder where they are going to find their next
mortgage payment.

One marketing opportunity that will not have escaped the notice of the snake-oil
salesmen and brand promoters concerns one pharmaceutical and plastics company who have
had a whole load of free publicity throughout this season's european campaign. What
price `vodaphone Manchester' having a league fixture against `sega* I'm
withthewoolwich arsenal' before too long?

* I understand that this is Italian for w*nk!

---------------------------------
[14] Show me the money
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Still owed for Stam, below from the Sun

' MANCHESTER UNITED are still owed £12million from the transfer of Jaap Stam.

Italian giants Lazio agreed to pay £16m for the Dutch defender last August but have
only met one £4m instalment on the payments.

Now United have called in FIFA to sort out the mess. United chief executive Peter
Kenyon confirmed: "We are still waiting for our money from Lazio."

FIFA have been in contact with Lazio and agreed a rescheduling of their remaining
three payments so the full amount can still be paid by the end of this summer.

United spokesman Paddy Harverson said: "We have had the first instalment and reached
an agreement on a new schedule so that we will be paid by the end of the summer."

---------------------------------
[13] Ho ho
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
FA spokesman Paul Newman:

"David Beckham is running very well. He exercised away from the rest of the squad
because of the injury. It was a chance for him to take part in training in the heat
rather than the distinct lack of heat in Manchester!"

---------------------------------
[12] Scholes - new role at United didn't work
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"The manager tried to play me in a new position but it didn't work out. So now I am
hoping to get my old place back in the England team, which is just behind the front
two, in the hole."

---------------------------------
[11] More on wage cap
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
G14 general manager Thomas Kurth

"The first idea is that the amount available for expenditure will be limited. That
means a certain percentage only of the money available should be spent on salaries.
The first thing is that we have agreed on the principle; we are now looking at the
details. This concept should be applicable to those who have financial problems -
those who are in the black, I think do not need us to regulate them.  It's a maximum
percentage of the money available which should be spent on players' costs. At this
stage Manchester United are far underneath this limit."

---------------------------------
[10] Law also has £100 bet on top six finish for siddy
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
at 12-1

"It's not an easy league, but they won Division One in style and that breeds
confidence in the team."

---------------------------------
[9] Law has £100 charity bet on United
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
to win European Cup next year

"With the final of the Champions League at Old Trafford next season, it will be an
incentive for Sir Alex and the team to do well"

---------------------------------
[8] Denis Law on England chances
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "To lose two players makes a difference but you never know in the World Cup.  There
are half a dozen teams who have a chance and England are one of them.  The opening
group is going to be difficult for England, but when you get to that stage it is never
easy.  England have two key games against Sweden and Argentina. They have to make sure
they beat Sweden. If they do, they will do well. It's not just England who have lost
players. There are always players who have never been heard of on the world stage who
become household names after the World Cup."

---------------------------------
[7] Scholes on the World Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I'll try and play as well as I can -- I won't be thinking about the people who are
injured or where the responsibility lies. I don't think there will be that much
pressure on me and I'll just be happy if I'm involved in the team. I'm getting on with
playing football.  We're not worried about the injuries. We're very disappointed for
the people that are missing out, but we've got a lot of very good players in the squad
and we're capable of covering for them.  It's going to be very difficult to play out
there in the heat and humidity. However, being together for three weeks before the
tournament will help us get used to it.  It's a very tough group with Sweden,
Argentina and Nigeria in there. It's going to be a difficult, but if we come through
it, you never know what could happen."

---------------------------------
[6] Scholes on World Cup diving
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"To be honest, I know nothing about the latest so-called clampdown. Anyway, a
clampdown's been going on for a couple of years already -- as divers have been
penalised, and rightly so.  But if it means trying to get a penalty for your team, I'm
sure players will do it. If you go to win a penalty and you get the slightest touch,
you go down.  It's up to the referee then, with what he interprets as a dive. And
personally, I can't see referees giving out too many cards for diving. I don't think
players will have to adapt too much to the ways referees will handle World Cup games.
Referees will make good and bad decisions, so I'm not too worried about them."

---------------------------------
[5] End of season memories
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
The beating heart

When Van Nistelrooy, Veron and Blanc arrived at Manchester United they probably had
some scant knowledge about the club. They probably thought it was going to be like any
other club, but bigger. If they did, they were wrong. This was the day the Manchester
United heart beat as strong as it has ever done before.

I'm not sure the first half of the tottenham away game was quite as poor as some made
out, but when you concede 3 goals, it cannot be considered the best 45 minutes. After
the second goal, the giant scoreboard showed the celebrations in hideous close-up. We
sang, '2-0 in your Cup Final' and prayed for half-time. The Tottenham faces to our
left loomed over us in grotesque animations of contorted ecstacy. The sky was a deep
threatening grey. The clouds rolled and swirled above and mirrored our mood. It was
dark and depressing. The rain eventually came. In fact it p1ssed down. Spurs were
show-boating their way to the interval when the final twist of the first half knife
sent us into spasms. Ziege had left Becks for dead, stole in at the back of the
penalty area and stooped to head in the third for a delirious Tottenham bonus in
stoppage time. Apparently the scenes under the stands in the home sections had to be
seen to be believed. What a surprise!

United appeared first for the second half and the Red Army stood as one and belted out
the Red Flag. The mood was set. The game was not one minute old when the sun came out
and there was light at last as Nev broke free on the right and lobbed an inviting
cross which Cole met with a stooping header. Hope sprang eternal as the ball nestled
in the back corner of the Tottenham net and we dared to dream. Doubts had already
surfaced, but they were manifest in the Spurs defence. They were a team under siege
and the Red Army added to the pressure with a second half of constant noise. The
Tottenham faces to our right were less animated. Doubt was beginning to creep over
each and every one of them. All we needed was another goal. When it came via Blanc's
head, the celebrations were more animated than for the first. Now the belief was
clearly there.

We had to wait 15 minutes for parity to be restored. The third goal was yet another
header, this time from a Silvestre cross and via the Ruud boy's bonce. If the
celebrations for the second goal had been good, the ones which greeted the third were
positively wreckless. The United heart was beating with such irresistible force, we
knew (and so did they) we would succeed. I
still thought that singing, '3-0 up and f**ked it up' at that moment was a touch too
early, but it was difficult not to join in. Four minutes later - it was impossible.
Tottenham were a complete mess. Hoddle was animated on the touchline. Their
supporters, who had been revelling in their p1ss-taking only 20 minutes previous, had
gone to pieces. The United passes were, by now, crisp and incisive. Scholes found Ole,
Ole found Veron and he found the bottom corner of the net. There are no words to
describe that moment - the celebrations were truly undignified. Maybe the sight of
Gazza Nev running towards us with arms punching the air - face split in two with the
widest grin you1ve ever seen, was enough, because it demonstrated exactly how we felt.
It was mayhem on the terraces and even the local stewards were laughing in disbelief.

There were still 15 minutes left! It had been half an hour of the most devastating
football and my heart pounded in my chest as though it wanted to get out and scream.
United were rampant, Tottenham completely demoralised. The final goal came with only 3
minutes to go. It was Becks who despatched a half-volley which flew past Sullivan. The
noise from our part of the ground
was immense. The rest of the ground quickly became a void. There were empty blue seats
everywhere and nearly everyone to our right had disappeared. There was no need for a
police presence to keep us in, we weren't going anywhere. We were only too happy to be
savouring the moment!

By Paul - author of season reviews - from a Utd fans' perspective. For details go to
the shop section of the site.

---------------------------------
[4] Scousers at war
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Vladimir Smicer hits back at Tommy Smith - the old geezer who once labelled (and who
are we to disagree) Smicer as "one of the poorest players ever to wear the Liverpool
shirt".

Smicer

"I have respect for him, especially as he is someone who has captained Liverpool, but
enough is enough. I agree with many things he has said. It's true I am not a good
tackler like Steven Gerrard - I never have been and never will be. Everyone knows this
already, but I think football is about different qualities. The manager has picked me
for three years, and I think his judgement is very good. Maybe Tommy Smith thinks
Gerard Houllier is wrong? When we win games, I know when I read Tommy's articles I
won't be mentioned. If we lose, of course, it's Vladimir Smicer's fault, even if the
whole team has let itself down.  I have been here for three years and made no comment
about this before. I will never say anything else again because, as I have said, I
respect the opinions and every player is more popular with some than others. I think
there's a vendetta against me in Tommy Smith's column which isn't helpful when you are
trying your best."

---------------------------------
[3] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Jimmy Armfield

"Someone said to me, with all these morning kick offs, do you think they will fill Old
Trafford. If it was 4am they would still fill it"

---------------------------------
[2] United fans 5-a-side tourny
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
EUROWORLD TRAVEL

2nd Annual Manchester United Supporters 5 a'side Tournament
to be held once again at 'Blackpool' Saturday 6th July
£75 per team
for an application form please call 01253 300250 or e'mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[1] Red News offer
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
We have produced nine issues of Red News this season and currently have limited stock
of 8 available. We are offering a special summer offer

All 8 issues together with a copy of the Red News book on May 26th 1999 - European
Glory - thrown in for free.

In the UK this offer, including p&p costs just £13.50
£16 for Europe and £18 for Rest of the World
(the full retail price for this offer would usually be £26).

Send all orders to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

---------------------------------
[35] Want free news?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by Howsey:
How about you scratch our backs and we'll scratch yours?

Or even we'll provide you with this fantastic free news service 365 days a year come
rain or shine if you click on that pretty link (Sporting Odds) at the bottom of the
screen and stick a few quid on the winner of the world cup. You might even win! Simple
eh?

Argentina         4/1
France            4/1
Italy            11/2
Brazil           13/2
Spain             8/1
England          12/1
Portugal         12/1
Germany          16/1
Cameroon         50/1
Japan            66/1
Paraguay         66/1
Poland           66/1
Rep Ireland      66/1
Russia           66/1
Uraguay          66/1
Croatia          80/1
Sweden           80/1
Belgium         100/1
Denmark         100/1
Nigeria         100/1
Turkey          100/1
Ecuador         125/1
Mexico          150/1
Senegal         150/1
Slovenia        150/1
South Korea     150/1
USA             200/1
South Africa    250/1
Costa Rica      300/1
China           500/1
Saudi Arabia    500/1
Tunisia         500/1

---------------------------------
[34] United best supported team in Europe again.
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by Howsey:
An interesting fact, united are the only team in the
top ten to again have had a full house for every home
league game!

1 Manchester United  67,557
2 BV 09 Borussia Dortmunt 65,700
3 Real Madrid CF 63,645
4 FC Internazionale 62,434
5 FC Schalke 04 60,429
6 AS Roma 59,402
7 AC Milan 58,616
8 Celtic 58,587
9 FC Barcelona 54,211
10 FC Bayern München 52,765

---------------------------------
[33] We do wish it were us
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Singing in the rain

Real 2 Bayer 1

And that's the last we'll hear of it!

---------------------------------
[32] Get voting - Sir Alex or Sir Matt
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Greatest manager of all time - Mickeys are infiltrating so let's level the balance

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/ferguson/newsid_1962000/1962520.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/audiovideo/programmes/ferguson/newsid_1962000/1962520.stm

---------------------------------
[31] Hey big spenders
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by redend:
Red Braces, RED NEWS's City (of London) Spy, tells us 3 United Directors have bought
more shares today.

Not exactly last of the big spenders though:

Kenyon bought 93 and now has an interest in 17,604 shares.

Gill bought 124 and now has an interest in 23,379 shares.

Humby (what d'you mean 'Who?') bought 53 and now has an interest in 10,053 shares.

What's going on then? Its just the reinvestment of their massive dividends.

---------------------------------
[30] Nothing else to do for a few months
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
But sulk, get drunk and get tanned. Well you can o course keep writing for Red News -
either getting stuff in for the mag in early or the site, of course.

One subject we're after stuff for is United petitions. Remember signing a Robbo must
stay one back in 83 - if you remember others, even ones going way back or have any
funny anecdotes for an article we're planning send them to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[29] Veron in Argentina squad
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Goalkeepers: German Burgos (Ateltico Madrid), Roberto Bonano (Barcelona), Pablo
Cavallero (Celta Vigo).

Defenders: Javier Zanetti (Inter Milan), Walter Samuel (AS Roma), Roberto Fabian Ayala
(Valencia), Juan Pablo Sorin (Cruzeiro), Diego Placente (Bayer Leverkusen), Jose
Chamot (AC Milan), Mauricio Pochettino (Paris St Germain).

Midfielders: Kily Gonzalez (Valencia), Mathias Almeyda (Parma), Juan Sebastian Veron
(Manchester United), Claudio Husain (River Plate), Diego Simeone (Lazio), Gustavo
Lopez (Celta Vigo), Pablo Aimar (Valencia), Ariel Ortega (River Plate), Marcelo
Gallardo (Monaco).

Forewards: Hernan Crespo (Lazio), Gabriel Batistuta (AS Roma), Claudio Caniggia
(Rangers), Claudio Lopez (Lazio).

---------------------------------
[29] More transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Daily Express says that us and Arsenal are in tug of transfer for Ayala.

---------------------------------
[28] Today's essay - where did the Mickeys go for their May holidays
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Austria, obviously.

'A free bicycle hire scheme of Vienna city council has backfired after 750 of them
were stolen in less than a week. The Austrian capital bought 1,500 bikes to tackle its
chronic traffic problems. Locals can beat traffic jams by hiring them for two euros at
coin-operated special stands.'

---------------------------------
[27] Any budding Cantonas out there
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Red News has entered a team for the 5-a-side tournament in Blackpool which is
advertised elsewhere. If any of our contributors/sellers/readers fancy playing let us
know. And if any very attractive females fancy being our groupies, please, please get
in touch. Not that we're desperate or anything. Oh no, not us.

---------------------------------
[26] No Eric Selhurst Park footage
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Again, this story is nothing new. Red News first informed its readers nearly a year
ago that the Premier League is withdrawing footage of several controversial incidents
it deems unecessary to show.

Below PA story

'
The FA Premier League has confirmed it is stopping some TV programmes from screening
Eric Cantona's kung-fu kick.

It says re-running the former Manchester United player's attack on a Crystal Palace
fan could bring the game into disrepute.

The ban follows an attempt by the BBC to screen the attack in documentaries about Sir
Alex Ferguson.

The request was turned down by the FA Premier League, who hold the rights to the film
footage.

A FA Premier League spokesman told the Manchester Evening News: "The BBC approached us
to use it, but we decided not to let them because we are conscious that showing it
could bring the game into disrepute.

"We will consider any applications to use the footage, but it has always been done on
a separate case-by-case basis.

"We have to be careful that the footage suits the context of the programme it is going
to be used in."

A BBC spokesman said: "We approached the League to use the footage, but they wouldn't
allow us to broadcast it."

---------------------------------
[25] Quality from the official site
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fair play to them for this

 http://www.manutd.com/news/features.sps?iType=784&icustompageid=2722
http://www.manutd.com/news/features.sps?iType=784&icustompageid=2722

---------------------------------
[24] Giggs wants to qualify for a tournament with Wales
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "I'm 28, I've got one more chance, maybe two, of reaching a major finals. What I see
happening with Wales under Mark Hughes gives me confidence that the corner can be
turned. Deep down I believe we can do it. You only have to look at what the Republic
of Ireland have achieved to know it's possible. They have a lot of good players, but
may not be blessed with real quality like Argentina or France. They have great team
spirit and believe they can win every time they go out on the pitch, and that's what
they always seem to do. Man for man I don't see much difference between ourselves and
the Irish. What we need is the belief like them that we can do it. We need to turn
that corner and get a good winning run going. We have beaten Germany now and they are
among the best in the world. We have done well against the best of late, drawing with
Argentina, and these friendlies have been good for us because it makes us believe that
we can do well against the best. We have to take those s!
ort of performances into the next set of qualifiers and believe we can do it."

---------------------------------
[23] From one of our snouts
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
Keano is flying into Dublin this afternoon. Injury, what injury?

---------------------------------
[22] United in wage cap discussions
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, May 15, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'
The group of Europe's most powerful clubs have unveiled plans for salary caps for
cash-strapped teams.

The G14 group, which includes Manchester United and Liverpool, will discuss proposals
to introduce a cap at a meeting in August.

The cap would limit clubs to spending a percentage of their income on salaries.

The group met at Ibrox and agreed in principle on the idea of a salary cap.

Thomas Kurth, G14 general manager, told the Gazzetta dello Sport: "The plan is aimed
at reducing costs and will be perfected on August 30 in Monaco."

The proposals will see a limit put in place, setting a maximum percentage of income
which can be spent on salaries - although Kurth claims Manchester United will not be
affected by the plans.

He said the cap would only come in force for financially troubled clubs and insisted
United would not be affected because their resources are big enough to cover their
wage bill.

Kurth told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The first idea is that the amount available for
expenditure will be limited ratio-wise. That means a certain percentage only of the