RED NEWS - MUFC Daily News by Email.
For the very latest news, the fans forum, and more,
check out the website at http://www.rednews.co.uk

[29] Wes Brown continues in talkative mode
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I played right-back in the Champions League against Bayer Leverkusen and I thought I
did all right. I was delighted just to be in the team that day, I was really looking
forward to it, and I just tried to do my best. It was a team performance and in the
end we just didn't do enough to get through.  I couldn't envisage this in February or
March. I didn't think I'd be playing any more United games, so I'm just buzzing at the
moment."

---------------------------------
[28] ABU praise at last for Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror, who suggest his one year extension will continue his wages at the
>£45,000 a week mark

'In the end, he was one of the few United players to emerge with any credit from their
trophy-less season.'

---------------------------------
[27] More from Wes
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I've played centre-half since I was very young but I don't mind playing at
right-back. I play there for the club and the gaffer feels I can play there. I like
getting forward. It's just common sense adjusting to the position. You have to know
when to go [forward] and when not to.  A few months back I was injured and I didn't
even think I'd get back into the United squad, let alone the England squad, so I'm
delighted. If fit, I thought I would go with the Under-21s. I got measured up for one
of the Under-21s suits, so it was a late fitting to get into the England suit."

---------------------------------
[26] Tord Grip on Wes Brown
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"He's a versatile player but I think his best position is probably on the right. I
know that Alex Ferguson feels he is better at centre-half. So does Steve McClaren, and
he worked with him at Old Trafford. We don't dispute that they know Wes well but we
feel he is a right-back."

---------------------------------
[25] Davies to United?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Spurs fans' site fromtheterrace suggests that Fergie wants their winger Simon Davies -
cost £10m

---------------------------------
[24] More from Wes
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"A lot of people are telling me I will play right-back but I have played centre-half
as well. It's a dream come true for me and hopefully I will get the chance to play.
I've spoken to Gary about the World Cup but not really about his injury. It's a big
disappointment that he is out because he was virtually a definite in the side. What
can you say? But he's wished me luck. We are in a very difficult group but I'm sure we
can get through it -- and anything can happen from there"

---------------------------------
[23] Wes Brown on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I said I will see you out there and he said the same thing. Veron will be showing his
ability out there. He is captain of his team and will want to do well. He is a good
professional and got on with the job. He's had a lot of stick this year but he is a
world class player, no doubt."

---------------------------------
[22] Blanc to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
For an extra year - his agent says.

---------------------------------
[21] Thuram offers his own hint
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't see myself staying at Juventus next season. I want to play in my best
position. I acted as a professional when we were going for the Scudetto but the title
will not make me forget what happened."

---------------------------------
[20] Goalie on the move
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Paul Rachubka is on the verge of a £200,000 move to Charlton.

---------------------------------
[19] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie

"The best moment was without question in Barcelona. It has to be. I know that you
always point to the very first trophy you ever win because that gives you control of
things - at Aberdeen we won the first championship in 1980. I thought that was the
greatest thing in my life, but this charges you up and chases you on to other things.
It's pointless looking back. Getting to Barcelona - I think it was a media thing, and
having not won the Champions League put a certain pressure on me a little bit. Then to
win the final that night - and the way we did it!"

---------------------------------
[18] More hints on Thuram from Buffon
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I really believe that Lilian will leave Juventus. Thuram, right from the first day,
did not feel a decisive part of the Juventus project.  He didn't think he was
considered in the way that he hoped or wanted. I believe he will go abroad."

---------------------------------
[17] This will go down well in Newcastle
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Southampton's Tahar El Khalej on his tackle on Keiron Dyer.

"Right now I can understand what Duscher went through when he injured Beckham.
Football is a man's game and people have to accept there will be injuries. That's
something every professional has to face. The press are trying to make this into more
than it is. It's just because Dyer is in the England squad. I can only repeat that it
was an isolated incident in a match. It was a hard tackle, but that's it. I got to the
ball late but I wasn't looking to injure Dyer. There are many incidents in football
like this. I have a clear conscience. I haven't committed any crime and the fans know
it.  I've never injured anybody. There is a record of my career in all the countries
I've played in if anybody wants to see it."

---------------------------------
[16] Thuram not happy about being moved
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
to right back

 "The most important thing was to act as a professional, but it is not a title that
will make me forget my plight. It was a decision that was very, very difficult to
accept, for the good of the team. I don't envisage continuing with the same conditions
at Juventus, but the officials know that very well. There is talk between people who
know exactly what they want. Me, I want to have fun, so I would like to change my
role. I play fewer matches for the national team than with my club and it is easier
for the France coach to move one player and let me play centrally. With Juventus, all
ten would be messed around.

This is the first time I have played so many matches as a right-back. I am not used to
it and, even though I think I have had a good season, I am sure I can do better in the
middle. My team-mates understand the effort I have put in. They know I have been
trying to accept the new situation and working hard. I have got much better at
crossing, for example. But now I want to understand what the future holds. I will have
to discuss a lot of things with Lippi. I have been ready to sacrifice myself before,
but now I want to enjoy my football again in my proper position - and as soon as
possible."

---------------------------------
[15] Thuram on the move
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
according to team-mate Gianluigi Buffon

"Juve has a different mentality in respect to other squads. The club creates great
champions and not the opposite. Thuram hasn't understood this, he hasn't felt as
significant as he would have had expected. I think that Lilian will go away (leave
Italy)"

---------------------------------
[14] Wes Brown on Nevilles disappointment
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "I've not talked about it with Gary. If he was fit, he'd be a certainty to go and I'm
very lucky to be here. Phil is very disappointed because he's been in every squad and
I wish he was here as well. But there are still plenty of United players here and they
have helped me settle in.  It's just like home and everyone gets on fine. I feel fit
as a fiddle after a long rest and I've played half as many games as most other people
so I do feel good.  We've had a bad disappointment this year at the club, so I can
only make up for it now by doing well, if selected, at the World Cup."

---------------------------------
[13] Wes Brown on football
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"A few months back I was injured and I didn't even think that I'd get back into the
United squad, let alone the England squad, so I'm delighted. When I did get back fit,
it was only because of injury that I got back into the United team. I had a bit of
luck and it's gone great from there.  If fit, I thought I would go with the Under-21s,
because I'm still allowed to play for them. So it was a late fitting to get into the
England suit."

---------------------------------
[12] Wes Brown on friend who was shot dead
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Wes on Stephen Amos

 "I don't really want to talk about it but I'll be playing for a lot of people when
I'm out there in Japan and I'm sure he'll be one of them.  We grew up in the same
neighbourhood and we used to play football together. I'll also be playing for my
family, my mum and dad, and my old coaches from when I was younger."

---------------------------------
[11] Would Butt leave United?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"To be honest, no. You never hear anything about clubs coming in for you so I've never
once thought about it.  Obviously you do get a bit down when you're sat on the bench
and you're watching the lads in the Champions League and the big league games.  But
that's part and parcel of it. I've always said that I end up getting 30 to 35 games a
year and, although it's unfortunate for others, it usually works out for me that I end
up playing in the big games. When you play at a big club like United or England, you
all have to take your own responsibility. It's a case of getting that team spirit
together, there's not that much pressure on any one individual. You just play your own
game."

---------------------------------
[10] Butt on recent form
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It does help your confidence, especially when you are playing a lot. Unfortunately
over the past year or two, I have been in and out of the team at United and it doesn't
help your confidence or fitness. So when you do play a lot of games and people say
nice things about you, it's bound to give you a lot of confidence and you take that
onto the park."

---------------------------------
[9] Butt excited about World Cup
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It's definitely nice to feel wanted in the England set-up and when you get the chance
to play, it's nice to play for 90 minutes and prove what you can do. I had hoped that
Steven Gerrard would be okay for his sake and everyone else's. But when you come to
England, you aim to play every game and there is no bigger stage than the World Cup so
hopefully I will get a chance."

---------------------------------
[8] Butt hits out at last season
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
"I don't think we'll be over it until we win the league again. It's always at the back
of your mind. We threw the Champions League semi-final away and we were rubbish in the
league."

---------------------------------
[7] Keane in Ireland defeat
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Looked fit but Ireland lost 2-1 at home to a sprigt Nigeria

---------------------------------
[6] Stewart in Scotland defeat
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Played first 45 minutes in South Korea 4 Scotland 1

---------------------------------
[5] In case you missed it yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
Digital Reds website.

The DR website builds on the Usenet "community" of
alt.sports.soccer.manchester.united. Rather than being yet another United site,
duplicating the efforts of sites like Red News, DR carries content provided mainly by
the newsgroup subscribers.

One feature that might be of particular interest to RN users/readers is the realtime
chatroom facility - no java applet to download, no chat server to connect to, just
easy to use HTML-based chat that won't get blocked by company firewalls :o) Could be
useful for post-match chats, general RN chats etc.

To use the chat facility you do need to register on the site as a member - membership
is completely free and is simply a way of helping keep things relatively sane.

 http://www.digitalreds.co.uk http://www.digitalreds.co.uk

or if you want to load without the scrolling news ticker then go to
 http://www.digitalreds.co.uk/html/ http://www.digitalreds.co.uk/html/

Cheers
Gary (ageek)

---------------------------------
[4] Conflicting press releases on shirt issue
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
OFT release:
Office of Fair Trading

OFT PROPOSES TO FIND THAT REPLICA

FOOTBALL KIT PRICES HAVE BEEN FIXED

The OFT proposes to make a decision that eleven companies have been fixing the price
of Umbro replica football kits, infringing UK competition law.

The companies involved are: Umbro Holdings Limited, JJB Sports plc, John David Sports
plc, Sports Soccer Limited, Allsports Limited, Blacks Leisure Group plc, Manchester
United Football Club plc, Debenhams plc, Florence Clothiers (Scotland) Limited
(trading as Sportsconnection), Sportsetail Limited and The Football Association
Limited.

The OFT has today written to these companies setting out why it proposes to find that
they entered into a number of agreements to fix the price of football kits
manufactured and supplied by Umbro, infringing Chapter I of the Competition Act 1998.

The parties now have the opportunity to make oral and written
representations in response to the OFT's proposed decision. These will be taken fully
into account before any final decision is made.

NOTES

1   Powers under the Competition Act 1998

The Act gives the Office of Fair Trading powers to investigate
suspected infringements of the Act's prohibitions:

i. the Chapter I prohibition prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by
associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have the object or effect of
preventing, restricting or distorting competition in the UK (or any part of it) and
which may affect trade within the UK (or any part of it); and

ii. the Chapter II prohibition prohibits conduct by one or more undertakings which
amounts to the abuse of a dominant position in a market which may affect trade within
the UK (or any part of it).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

MU PLC Release:

Manchester United PLC

MANCHESTER UNITED PLC

Statement Re: Office of Fair Trading

Following the Office of Fair Trading's announcement this morning, Manchester United
would like to point out that it has not been contacted by the OFT over allegations of
fixing the prices of replica football kits.

In this context, Manchester United is very surprised to be named among 11 companies
the OFT proposes to conclude have been involved in price-fixing.  Once we have seen
the precise allegations made, we will, of course, co-operate fully with the OFT to
resolve this situation.

---------------------------------
[3] Transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
remember that Belgian defender from Marseille linked with us a few weeks ago? Van
Buyten, was his name.

Marseille chairmain has revealed that a deal has been done with a foreign  club for
his tranfer. Without naming the club.

Could it be us?

Juventus, more likely.

---------------------------------
[3] That took its time
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
PA story

'Cardiff have been fined £20,000 by a Football Association of Wales disciplinary
hearing following the crowd trouble which followed the FA Cup clash with Leeds in
January. The club are now considering an appeal, having been cleared of a further
charge relating to missile throwing. The hearing took place at the Vale of Glamorgan
Hotel on the outskirts of the city.'

---------------------------------
[2] Red News offer
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
We have produced nine issues of Red News this season and currently have limited stock
of 8 available. We are offering a special summer offer

All 8 issues together with a copy of the Red News book on May 26th 1999 - European
Glory - thrown in for free.

In the UK this offer, including p&p costs just £13.50
£16 for Europe and £18 for Rest of the World
(the full retail price for this offer would usually be £26).

Send all orders to Red News, P.O.Box 176, Manchester, M16 8LG

---------------------------------
[1] Never used the Red News forum
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, May 17, 2002 by bar-knee:
What's wrong with you - get communicating with fellow Reds

 http://www.forum.rednews.co.uk/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
http://www.forum.rednews.co.uk/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

---------------------------------
[39] United comment on shirt fixing row
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
 "Once we have seen the precise allegations made, we will, of course, co-operate fully
with the OFT to resolve this situation."

---------------------------------
[38] Shirt 'fixing' latest
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Manchester United are refusing to comment on claims that it fixed the price of
replica football shirts.

An investigation by the Office of Fair Trading found evidence that 11 companies
entered into anti-competitive agreements on the supply of kits from Umbro, including
the England strip.

The 11 include Manchester United, the Football Association and Umbro.

In a statement the FA says: "A number of weeks ago, the FA publicly acknowledged
breaches and made it clear that it had been assisting the OFT for several months.

"The FA confirmed today that it will be taking the opportunity to make representations
to the OFT regarding this matter. Therefore it would being appropriate to make any
further comment until after this has taken place."

Umbro says: "Umbro has been co-operating fully for several months with the Office of
Fair Trading regarding an investigation into pricing of replica football kits and will
continue to do so."

A spokesman for Manchester United refused to comment, saying it would be inappropriate
to do so before he had seen the OFT's proposed decision.

Alan Bloore, deputy chairman of the National Federation of Football Supporters' Clubs,
said: "We have never been able to prove price-fixing but it was always funny that
whatever shop you went into the kit was the same price."

Edward Freedman, a former managing director of merchandising at Manchester United,
says there was a verbal agreement with the manufacturer at what price kits were sold.

"If someone made up their mind to sell shirts £10 cheaper the manufacturer wouldn't be
happy about it," he says.'

---------------------------------
[37] Advert
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
RN comment: check this site out, produced by a top lad and Red

[...]

[36] Share price down
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
from 119 to 115 at the end of trading today. But did dip to 112 at one stage.

---------------------------------
[35] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Actor Samuel L Jackson takes a trip to see Liverpool play in 2000

"I went to Anfield the other night. Did I enjoy it? No, it was bad man. I didn't know
they don't have to score. There is an inherent problem in any game where you don't
have to score points"

---------------------------------
[33] United face fine over shirts
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Manchester United and 10 other companies face fines that could total more than £300
million.

The club, the Football Association and nine more companies are accused of fixing the
price of Umbro replica football kits.

The Office of Fair Trading says they have broken UK competition law, which carries a
penalty of up to 10% of a company's turnover.

Last year the club achieved record turnover of £129.6 million, so it could face a fine
of around £13 million.

But other accused companies could face much bigger fines, such as Debenhams, which
last year reported a turnover of £1.61 billion. Its fine could be as much as £161
million.

The other companies charged are Umbro Holdings Limited, JJB Sports, John David Sports,
Sports Soccer Limited, Allsports and Blacks Leisure, together with Florence Clothiers
and Sportsetail.

In their last reported accounts Blacks' turnover was £311 million, JJB Sports was
£739.4 million, and JD Sports was £204.5 million.

The 11 companies have seven weeks to make written representations and nine weeks to
make oral representations. A final decision by the OFT is expected in the autumn.

But already the shares of the accused companies have fallen heavily on the stock
market. Manchester United has fallen 5% to 112 ¾p, JD Sport is down 3% at 337 ½p, JJB
Sports has fallen 6% to 347 ½p, Debenhams is down 2% at 375p and Blacks Leisure is 4%
lower at 227 ½p.

The OFT investigation was launched in June last year amid mounting concern that the
price of replica kits was being kept artificially high. As part of the inquiry, dawn
raids took place at the offices of at least two of the companies accused - Umbro and
JJB Sports - an OFT spokesman confirms.'

RN - so presumably other kit makers will have the same accusations levelled at them
considering nearly all kits cost the same?

---------------------------------
[32] Quotes from the past
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
Fergie in 2000

"For me to better this squad iit needs the Zidanes, Figos or Maldinis of this world.
But the market is almost impossible.. The limit on spending is frustrating, but it
passes over easier because we have been successful"

---------------------------------
[31] Poborsky on life at United
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
"It was really hard. I didn't speak English and I had to start completely from
scratch. And then on top of that I had David Beckham as competition for my place. It
was an unsolvable situation. I learnt lots there, even when I wasn't playing."

---------------------------------
[30] United in trouble over kits
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, May 16, 2002 by bar-knee:
PA story

'Competition watchdogs are set to find 11 companies, including Manchester United and
the English FA, guilty of  fixing the price of replica football kits, it emerged
today.

The Office of Fair Trading said it was writing the companies setting out why it
proposes to find that they "entered  into a number of agreements to fix the price of
football kits manufactured and supplied by Umbro, infringing Chapter I of the
Competition Act 1998".

The companies involved are: Umbro Holdings Limited, JJB Sports, John David Sports,
Sports Soccer Limited, Allsports Limited, Blacks Leisure Group, Manchester United
Football Club, Debenhams, Florence Clothiers (Scotland) Limited (trading as
Sportsconnection), Sportsetail Limited and The Football Association Limited.

The 11 companies now have the opportunity to make oral and written representations
which will be taken into account before the OFT makes a final decision.

A spokesman for Manchester United refused to comment, saying it would be inappropriate
to do so before he had  seen the OFT's proposed decision.'

This email has been filtered for swear words which cause some email systems to block
messages.