Even a particular part is not broken or wear out, if I can replace it cheap
I will tent to do so. I just call a local honda dealer and they have the
seals for $26. I see no reason in spending $70 for the springs, taking the
whole thing apart and not replace the seals to save 26 bucks. They also have
the fork oil so I guess I'll get that too at the same place today.

Javier.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Allen Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:

> True you don't NEED to replace the seals but think of it this way. If
> you dust seals are 18 years old then they are probably dry rotted and
> since I know you ride in the rain water gets past them. This rusts the
> fork tube which destroys the seal. So if you have old seals you
> probably would want to do the job right to prevent fork tube damage.
> But hats just me. As for ATF instead of fork oil... Well it's you butt
> riding it. Why would the manufacturer invent an oil when there is a
> commonly availabe standard that met the need?
>
> On 6/9/10, Anthony <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Javier,
> >
> > You do not need to replace the seals when you replace the springs..  I
> > installed progressive springs last year and did it with the forks
> > still installed on the bike.  I needed to do some trigonometry to
> > calculate the oil level since the forks were on an angle and not
> > vertical as they should be when measuring the oil level.   The cap on
> > each fork tube comes off.  You will need a 17mm hex socket for that.
> > I used ATF in my forks.  It is approx 10 wt.
> >
> > On Jun 8, 1:22 pm, Javier Garcia <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Well, apparently nobody has done the modification of the shocks. I have
> >> decided to do so. Last night I ordered a pair of progressive shocks and
> >> springs, model 412. I also ordered the progressive spring for the front.
> I
> >> assume I will need new fork seals and oil? can anyone tell me which ones
> I
> >> am supposed to buy and where?
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Javier.
> >>
> >> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Javier Garcia <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >> > Randy wrote this, but I guess he made a mistake and send it only to
> me.
> >> > So
> >> > here it is.
> >> > Javier.
> >>
> >> > Randy Kilpatrick <[email protected]>
> >>
> >> > Javier, I read with interest your questions about the rear shocks. I
> >> > have a
> >> > 91 750 N.H. The front suspension is fine, but the rear of the bike
> rides
> >> > like a jackhammer!
> >> > Here is kind of what is going on. When Honda reintroduced the CB 750
> N.
> >> > Hawk they cut a lot of corners to keep the price down. Things like no
> >> > center
> >> > stand, no 6 speed transmission, and among other things especially the
> >> > rear
> >> > shocks. These  stock rear shocks are as inexpensive as Honda could
> find.
> >> > They were only fair for a few thousand miles, then the gas leaked out,
> >> > the
> >> > oil weeped out and we have a pair of shot shocks! I too have been
> >> > looking at
> >> > the Progressive Shocks, but man what a price! I read on one site where
> >> > some
> >> > one bought the lower priced Progressives and they wern"t much beter
> than
> >> > stock stuff. I also read where one guy bought the expensive rear
> shocks
> >> > and
> >> > it was a vast improvment. There is also a Chinese shock out there that
> >> > is
> >> > cheap, but raises the back end of the bike up, and don't work very
> well.
> >> > I
> >> > can live with the things that kind of bug me about this bike accept
> the
> >> > harsh ride. It's killing my back. Soooo, if any of you guys have spent
> >> > the
> >> > big bucks on the Progressives please come forth, spill the beans and
> >> > share
> >> > with us what you have done and did it really work? I too ride single
> up
> >> > and
> >> > just want  a decent ride. Hondo.
> >>
> >> > On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Javier Garcia <[email protected]>
> >> > wrote:
> >>
> >> >> I'll try to get one too. Nevertheless, I doubt the problem I am
> >> >> experiencing is going to be solved by changing the adjustment of the
> >> >> shocks.
> >>
> >> >> Javier.
> >>
> >> >> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 12:49 PM, sfox618 <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> >>> I bought a shock tool on eBay for about $6.  Just like item number
> >> >>> Item number: 310223404095.  Works really well and no scratches.
> >>
> >> >>> Sean
> >>
> >> >>> On Jun 2, 9:05 am, Javier Garcia <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> >>> > Hi all,
> >>
> >> >>> > recently I've been wondering if there is something wrong with the
> >> >>> suspension
> >> >>> > of my '96 750. In short, it just feels like it balances too much
> up
> >> >>> > and
> >> >>> down
> >> >>> > in the rear as I am driving it. Actually, I am not sure if it is
> >> >>> because I
> >> >>> > am paying too much attention to this or not, but lately I've been
> >> >>> feeling
> >> >>> > that my back hearts a bit after long rides (long being more than
> an
> >> >>> hour or
> >> >>> > so). Allen drove my bike the other day for a bit I had the same
> >> >>> impression
> >> >>> > (without me telling him before). Therefore, it start crossing my
> >> >>> > mind
> >> >>> the
> >> >>> > idea of upgrading the rear suspension (and probably the front too,
> >> >>> > but
> >> >>> that
> >> >>> > is a separate issue). Apparently, most people agree that
> progressive
> >> >>> shocks
> >> >>> > is the way to go. However, those are not cheap, so I have few
> >> >>> questions,
> >> >>> > such as:
> >>
> >> >>> > 1) How can I actually now if my rear shocks are damaged? Is there
> a
> >> >>> more
> >> >>> > technical procedure to diagnostic this?
> >>
> >> >>> > 2) If I replace shocks, do I have to replace springs too? or it is
> >> >>> > just
> >> >>> > recommended?
> >>
> >> >>> > 3) Does anyone here uses or had used progressive shocks (and/or
> >> >>> springs)?
> >>
> >> >>> > 4) Is there a particular model of progressive shocks and/or spring
> >> >>> > that
> >> >>> need
> >> >>> > to be selected for a NH 750? There are few models, and although
> the
> >> >>> > differences in the specifications are confusing to me, the
> >> >>> > differences
> >> >>> in
> >> >>> > price are quite substantial.
> >>
> >> >>> > I would appreciate any other comments on this matter.
> >> >>> > Cheers,
> >>
> >> >>> > Javier.
> >>
> >> >>> --
> >> >>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> >> >>> Groups
> >> >>> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> >> >>> To post to this group, send email to
> >> >>> [email protected].
> >> >>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> >> >>> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> <nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> >
> >> >>> .
> >> >>> For more options, visit this group at
> >> >>>http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
> >
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
> >
> >
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> [email protected]<nighthawk_lovers%[email protected]>
> .
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
>
>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.

Reply via email to