From: Phil Labonte [mailto:philfromw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 11:04 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Virtualization Questions - More Q's

for #3
With ESX server you can do both or whatever you want. If you have
enough physical nic's you can dedicate a nic to each VM if you want or
if you VM will have high utilization.
Or you can hsre one nic across multiple VM's...

Phil

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Roger Wright <rwri...@evatone.com>
wrote:
> Great responses so far!  You've all given me even more to think about.
>

> A few other questions:
>

> 1.       From a DR perspective, or perhaps just for rebalancing the
load on
> a host machine, how does moving from one host to another with
different HW
> impact the VM, or is it transparent?
>

> 2.       Does Virtualization impact your domain security requirements
in any
> way?
>

> 3.       NIC Utilization - Shared NICs or separate for each VM?
>

> 4.       OS & App licensing - can we expect any reduction in licensing
> requirements?
>

> Thanks!

> Roger Wright
>
> Network Administrator
>
> Evatone, Inc.
>
> 727.572.7076  x388
>
> _____

and a
> SAN for all the VMs\vmdk files.
>
> 2.       Acceptance of a dedicated VM is growing.  I've personally run
many,
> many (police academy joke, if your didn't get it) applications with no
> issues raided from the vendor, YMMV by vendor
>
> 3.       Load and amount of data usually dictate this.  I've seen
every
> mainstream app virtualized and dedicated server, here in the
datacenter.

> 4.       I would say load and functionality.  If you have ESX with
HA/DRS,