On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Andy Shook <andy.sh...@peak10.com> wrote:
> 1.       As long as the resources are available for the VM, then
> transparent.  I know in the past that processors had to be in the same
> family as well as the same brand for Vmotion but I heard that this has
> changed with (ESX) update 3.  I don't know the details yet, so someone
> please chime in here for clarification.

According to my VCP study materials (version 3.5), the processors have
to be the same brand (AMD vs Intel) and the same "family".  This is
due to the (minor) differences in the instruction sets.  Now, things
like L2 cache, hyperthreading, number of cores, clock speeds, etc
don't matter since the guest OS is seeing a virtual CPU.  Vmotion only
cares about the instructions.  Now, there are a few caveats to this,
such as non-execute and whatnot, but that's not default.

Vmotion is only for transferring running machines with minimum
interruption.  Of course you could do cold migration to any other ESX
machine, where you turn off the guest before transferring.  When the
machine is off you can start it on other machines regardless of the
CPU constraints.  There are other constraints, mainly with the set up
of the individual ESX host.  If the guest has an active connection
with local resources, the internal networking is set up differently on
the target host, etc it can't be moved.

But most of that stuff is easy to overcome.  In my experience VMotion
works extremely well, usually the most drastic interruption I've seen
is one dropped ping.  Users don't even notice it being moved.

Seth