On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I sent an email to supp...@osuosl.org last night and got a response in 30
> minutes.
>
> OSUOSL admin says:
>
>> Looks like varnish died on the machine and I just kicked it. The site(s)
>> should be back online now.
>>
>> The sites have been in an unstable state for quite a while mostly
>> because neither we (OSL) nor Sun/Oracle had time to fix the performance
>> issues both of the sites entails. Couple that with the fact that the
>> machines they power those sites are very underpower considering the load
>> they take. It's gotten so bad that we've turned off notifications
>> because they just go off all the time.
>>
>> What really needs to happen is to have the sites completely
>> re-architected from the ground up with scaling in mind. At least one of
>> the sites is a stock Drupal 5.0 with a very hacked core. I know some
>> Sun/Oracle engineers had been working on fixing that into a Drupal 6
>> module but I'm not sure where that left off.
>>
>> Anyways, If you would like some more help with how these sites can be
>> fixed moving forward, please let me know. But we are strectched thin for
>> resources.
>
> It looks like these two sites are going to need attention whether they are
> physically moved or the servers transferred to the ASF.

Since the extensions site has 3rd party code that is not under Apache
2.0 license, we have two options:

1) The new extensions.openoffice.org site hosts no code or binaries.
It is simply a directory of 3rd party extensions and links to outside
sites for the actual files.

2) Optionally, in conjunction with #1, host the extension source and
distributions at http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ .
 That is where Apache projects host things like this.