Hi Dave,

David Forslund wrote:

> IMHO, archetypes need to be specifiable independent of the platform
> and language, including the querying.

yes, we do too. We are working on a new (text) formalism for archetypes
which we think will enable archetypes for openEHR, CEN and CDA to be
interchanged. As soon as I have done enough work on it, I'll post a
draft for comment.

>    How archetypes are to be stored on disk should also not be part of
> the specification.  Rather they should have a data model independent
> of platform and language.

even the current GEHR ones have that - they're instances of XML-schema.
How they get converted and stored in any particular site is it's
business. For example, I wrote an Eiffel kernel, and a converter to do
XML->eiffel objects and store that. The DSTC did an XML system, and used
the archetypes in their XML form.

> I assume that if archetypes are specified by XSL Schema then one would
> use a form of XPath to query them(?).  I actually like something
> like the Object Constraint Language for this purpose, but this might
> not be popular.

Yes, we have been thinking about Xpath; in fact we would like to make
the path mechanism in openEHR an Xpath subset if possible. You will see
somethign like this in the draft formalism I mentioned above. OCL - I
just did a review on this
(http://www.deepthought.com.au/it/ocl_review.html - comments welcome) ,
I think there are a few terrible errors in there, but also a lot of nice
things. We don't have enough experience on this. You may be able to
spend a bit of time on this to help the effort!

> We have used C++ for more than 15 years and find it not particularly
> easy to embed in other languages compared to other approaches.
> It should have nothing to do with the OpenEHR specification.

It doesn't ...!

please send a message to d.lloyd at openehr.org