Heath Frankel schreef:

> Bert,
>
> The Ocean Archetype Editor was the first Archetype Editor written some
> 6+ years ago.  It was implemented to support only EHR archetypes in a
> way that these RM types where implemented explicitly within the Editor
> providing the specific capability for clinicians to easily develop
> archetypes with minimal knowledge of the RM.
>

> Certainly a generic archetype editor would need to support the
> features you suggest below, but the Ocean Archetype Editor is not a
> generic Archetype Editor.  Even with its limitations known best by
> Ocean, I think we can all agree that it has served the openEHR
> community well in bringing the mind shifting concepts of archetypes to
> a point where the openEHR architecture is in demand internationally.

There is no doubt about that it did serve many people. Please do not see
my comments as criticism. I was really wondering. Now I read your
message, I understand a bit better.
I think/understand it was even more work to limit the AE to serve people
with minimal knowledge of the RM than to build a generic one.

I think, to build a generic AE is not that difficult, and can be done in
a few weeks by an experienced programmer. There is  a lot of recursively
in code possible. The point where things gets a bit more difficult is at
the end nodes where datatypes have to be constructed and valided, but
then again, there is a lot of example code in Java and VB, and one can
profit from the inheritance-schemes of the datatype part of the RM.
Live-connection to terminology would maybe be a bit more difficult, but
it can be a good tool without that.

It would be a nice project to do, not to hard, and very useful.

Maybe later, when I have time, I will build one.

Bert