On 16-09-11 19:17, Thomas Beale wrote:
> (Torvalds more or less still says that SVN is pretty hopeless, and in
> some ways he is right, depending on what your requirements are)

Torvalds even said that he passionately hated CVS, which he had to use
at Transmeta.

I feel the need to explain why open source is important (this is not
ideology), and the CVS/Bitkeeper/Git story is a good example to explain it.

If you don want to read, just skip this message.

The Linux kernel-development used Bitkeeper instead of CVS and for good
reasons, but they also stopped using Bitkeeper for good reasons.

The reason why they stopped using Bitkeeper and went to GIT is because
the conditions for using Bitkeeper suddenly changed very radically on
account of the opinion of a single person, the owner of the product,
Larry McVoy.
He accused Andrew Tridgell to have re-engineered the Bitkeeper protocol.
McVoy started as penalty for this, asking money to the Linux development
team.

My opinion is that McVoy wanted a piece of the money-cake that goes
around in Linux, and he tried blackmailing the project, and I think that
the re-engineering story just was a pretext to do so.

So Bitkeeper was good, but had the typical closed source disadvantages.

This was unacceptable for the Linux-kernel development. So they started
to create a new product, called GIT, which is very much alike Bitkeeper.
The difference is, GIT is an open source product.

Why would that be?

It is not because of the money, IBM, RedHAT, SuSE are able to pay for a
product. The main reason is, the Linux Kernel development must not be
depending on a single person or company. That is too dangerous.

You can call it ideology, but it is pure practical business way of
thinking. I wouldn't call IBM a company which keeps ideological
principles, than just one, and that is how to make the shareholders happy.

Having an open source product as version system is the only way
companies can work together and keep on trusting each other.

Open Source is not just a funny feature of Linux, because of some
ideologists want it this way. It is the only way why it can exist, and
compete with closed source products, like from Apple or Microsoft or the
many UNIX-vendors in the nineties.

Ask yourself why Apache has half of the market-share. And why IIS, the
product of Microsoft the number-one software vendor in the world, for
over ten years cannot reach the half of its market-share.

The main reason is not quality. I think Microsoft is able to write a
good webserver. The main reason is because Apache is open source, and
therefore public domain. No-one can require for funny demands to use it.

Bert