The 40kb limit was one of the sysadmin rules at UCL, and I happen to
agree with it (obviously, it could have been 50 or 100 or whatever, but
they use 40). I know it is sometimes annoying but it does prevent
massive attachments. Some years ago I was on probably 6 HL7 lists (they
have about 40) and there was not only no limit to size, but continual
cross-posting, with the result that 3Mb attachments were regularly sent,
and received 4 times! I for one don't want to go there again.... i think
today there is always an option for putting up some large file and just
emailing the link to it.

If people want to up the actual current limit of 40kb to 70, 100 or so,
that is certainly doable, but I am not sure what problem it is solving.

- thomas