I'm not averse to dropping OpenIndiana in favor of something better.  I
AM against that being any kind of play/dependency on Illumos. I don't
have anything against the Illumos project.  But therein lies the salient
issue - Illumos and OI are two separate projects.

I agree. Obviously they're related, but you don't want people confusing the 2 as they are 2 distinct projects. The other issue I'm seeing with a lot of name suggestions, is that a simple web search often turns up tons of hits where the names are already in use -- many times as names of existing software, making them less than desirable. Coming up with a solid name that isn't in prior use isn't an easy task!