[Removed the case id, since this is off-topic for the case which isn't currently
 on the table for discussion anyway.]

Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> I'm also of the opinion that it is a mistake to sacrifice familiarity
> for our paying Solaris 10 customers in favor of familiarity for people
> coming from Linux.

But clearly all our paying Solaris 10 customers already have dotfiles to
set $PATH, given how useless the default Solaris 10 $PATH is.

They get familiarity by continuing to use those - the default PATH with
/usr/gnu/bin first only affects those setting up new accounts who don't
have existing Solaris .dotfiles, which seems like a very reasonable
compromise.

Also rememeber the PATH default is set only in text files which are trivially
editable by users with experience from previous Solaris releases - it's not
baked into the kernel.

> Which group do you think contributes more towards
> the $$ that pay our salaries?

Sounds like an invalid question for PSARC-ext & shell-discuss at
opensolaris.org.

        -Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com