> Helmar Wodtke wrote:
> > Hi at all,
> >
> > I'm really impressed by the discussion about ksh.
> But I dont get the point.
> >
> > I've seen notes about ARC and so on. Does it matter
> about something that does not exist?
>
> (NB: I am not an official Sun Spokesperson for this
> topic)
>
> It all depends on what you use for your Baseline.

Well, that's absolutely right. My Baseline is of course not a compatiblity to
something. I'm absolutely new to Solaris/OpenSolaris. But as I'm new you sure
can understand that I did not get the point at first moment.

> Our customers will upgrade
> from Solaris10,
> and will expect their applications to continue
> working.

This is important. It also shows (as I hope) that OpenSolaris is a very serious
step in Suns strategy.

> Other distros may or may not care (though I hope they
> do).

Why? That's not that important. You can not know now what other distros will be
good for. It could be that there is a distro you can put in your coffee-cup and
that coffee-cup communicates with the computer you are in front of - so
probably there is not enough space for ksh in such a distro at the first moment.

>  Individual
> developers who are more interested in OpenSolaris
> than they are in musty
> old ksh scripts (i.e., most of y'all) probably won't
> care at all.  For you,
> there is no Baseline *yet*, so the question of
> stability has no meaning.

There are at least two meanings of stability - keep old things working and let
things work without problems. My focus is at the second variant, sure you are
right.

> Some of the frustrations I'm seeing are based on the
> assumption that
>
> A) If it wasn't in the first snapshot release of
> f OpenSolaris on June 14,
> we can never expect it to be; Sun has finished
> d releasing everything
>       it intends to,
>
> rather than the plan of record
>
> B) If it wasn't in the first snapshot release of
> f OpenSolaris on June 14,
> don't panic - much more stuff will be coming; Sun
> n has just started the process
>       of releasing its OS code.
>
> We are in a transition period between "the initial
> euphoria" and "having sufficient
> parts to build a complete system".

Yes.

> How do we deal with that transition?
>
> For now, replace the missing pieces with "whatever
> r works" to bootstrap
> the system.  Keep those replacements somewhat
> t isolated so that they
> don't pollute the master workspace.  Consider this
> s to be a "prototype"
> effort to learn the system and see what works best
> t and what is missing.

Yes. Really.

> Communicate the list of missing pieces (and your
> r suggested replacements)
> back to the community.  Depending on what camp you
> u are in, this will
> either drive the community into developing/adopting
> g formal replacements
> or it will help Sun with its huge task of
> f prioritizing and releasing
>       the missing pieces.
>
> In any case, some things can't ever be released, so
> o the community needs
> figure out how to develop formal replacements.
> .  Depending on exactly how
> compatible those replacements are to the Solaris10
> 0 Baseline, it may be
> possible (and possibly desirable!) for Sun to
> o replace the closed pieces
>       with the new open ones in Solaris11.

Some things can not be replaced. But at least I do not see the need to replace
it with compatible parts to Solaris 10. I see the need to find functional
equivalent things. I hope those parts that need to be replaced are not too
specific to the core of OpenSolaris. Any closed source application (as ksh)
that can not be released to open source will die the dead of un-importance for
the (outside SUN-) open source developers. Or you have to follow the
Mozilla-history and do the task of "open source" it at SUN.

> (obligatory ARC tie in:  The "Think" part is where
> Architecture comes in. :-)

Good sentence :)

Gruesse,
Helmar