On Thursday 01 December 2005 04:52 am, Gary Gendel wrote:
> A radical idea...
>
> How about putting solaris in /usr/basis, gnu in /usr/gnu, etc.  Put nothing
> in /usr/bin except links to the commands you really want with the names you
> really want.  Personally I think this wouldn't work, because of the
> expectations of /usr/bin.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work for the bulk of users that don't know which
one they want, they will just expect tar to be a part of the system. Linux
has it and it's a clone of UNIX after all. It should just be there and work.

> So, a second suggestion is to create /usr/<role> directories with links to
> /usr/bin /usr/bin/bin, etc.  This way the role specifies what
> customizations the admin wants users to have.  Something like the
> partitioning of /usr/bin vs /usr/sbin.

More cruft and fragmentation with Solaris/OpenSolaris by doing so.

> I liken this to /etc/init.d and the /etc/rc?.d links where the admin
> chooses what service he wants to start and under what condition to start
> it.

Then they need to have their PATH set properly. It's cruft.

> I too would like a single tar, but I also know that because of the
> differences in implementation I need more than one.  Sometimes I need to
> pull out gtar because it's the only thing that will extract something
> generated by gtar. This message posted from opensolaris.org

Why do you need more than one? We should have one solid working version that
does what we want. I use gtar because I like compression. It's a habit, and I
just use /usr/sfw/bin/gtar. I would rather just use tar and not have to worry
about which one I use.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering