> This is very true, but I question what you meant by that.
>
> In my own experience, 95% of the people don't use a lot of the features of
> Solaris because they're almost completely incompetent when it comes to
> Solaris.

That is not a good thing, I do agree, but at the same time - I'd say it's
Solaris that needs to improve in this regard. If people can't use your
product properly (95% of the time to use your statistic) then something is
wrong with the usability of your product. Not the (95%) of people. Not
saying a competent Solaris admin can't run the OS for all it's worth. Just
competent Solaris admin's are few and far inbetween if 95% is indeed the
amount who are not. If this is the case, then usability is the flaw. Now,
if 5% can't use the features, I'd blame the 5% for being ignorant.

> The so called "IT experts" seem to be experts only in clicking on pictures
> in Windows and Linux.
>
> Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except these guys try to sell
> themselves as the experts, and make it harder for people that actually
> know something to get in.

I think anybody who was really good with Solaris, would have no problem
getting a position above one of these "clicky clicky" folks. They'd
probably be better at the "clicky clicky" too. I don't see how it would be
hard at *all* to get a job if you knew Solaris well.

> Agreed. SMC sucks dead bunnies through a bent straw sideways; but then
> again, being a hardcore shell guy, perhaps I'm the wrong person to write
> that.
>
> However, to me SMC is confusing, slow and useless.

Well, two things. #1 - I agree, SMC sucks, even for "clicky clicky"
people. I think pretty much everybody would agree with that.

#2 - You've just defined why you made the (above) responses you made.
You're one of the few "hardcore" guys around, who knows what they are
doing. Of course from your perspective, it's a flaw in the users if they
can't handle Solaris in it's full glory.

I'm new to Solaris. I'm not a stupid person (I would like to think...)
Solaris administration has a huge learning curve. Would you blame me for
my difficulties in using it? I've stuck with it and I've come to like it a
lot, but that doesn't mean I think the admin/user experience is very good.
It's a beautiful OS technically, but it's pretty damn ugly usability wise.
For me, the technical value makes the learning curve worthwhile, but for
companies who would have to employ 5 Solaris gurus at hundreds of
thousands a year to maintain a bunch of servers, vs. a dozen linux guys at
15-20/hour who "got the job done", a lot would go the cheaper route.
That's why I say Solaris has a bit of usability issues to get past.
Technically, they win. Usability wise, there is work to be done. Starting
with writing documentation aimed at *normal users* and not Solaris
veterans would be helpful. Think FreeBSD handbook. The Sun docs on
Solaris/JES/etc seem to be more like the O'Reilly "in a nutshell" series.
You know, kind of like an encyclopedia. For new users, this is pretty
tough to digest, ESPECIALLY if you have no unix background.

I could go on for hours, but I don't want to derail the thread. :)

Cheers,
David