> I perceive that the OpenSolaris project is about
>  opening the source
>  to Solaris.
>   The problem is that Solaris is a product.
> That product wants to now include Apache, MySQL,
>  PostgreSQL and
> a number of other things.  These did not all exist
>  in Solaris 8
> and certainly SeaMonkey, GNU chess and Scribus never
>  did.

Er, are you saying that Sun should not try to integrate other open
source software into Solaris?  Or only if the integration is more
involved than what joe user would have to do on his own?

Where's the dividing line?

Solaris *is* a product, and it's more than just the ON consolidation,
and much of it is of open source provenance (e.g., the DNS resolver,
server, Kerberos V software, SASL, X11 [not in the ON consolidation],
and much more).

Should we now declare the base Solaris OS to be closed to new open
source integration and delivery by Sun and direct customers to
Blastwave from then on?  I think that would be a non-starter!

BTW, I do install Blastwave stuff occasionally.  I like it.  I like it better
still when we integrate the open source packages I like to use, and yes,
it does create a problem then: /opt/csw/bin/<fav prog> and
/opt/sfw/bin/<fav prog> may be different versions, updated at different
rates, and may have different degrees of integration with Solaris (e.g.,
one may use /opt/csw/lib/libsasl2.so.1 while the other may use use
/usr/lib/libsasl.so.1, though both of those are of Cyrus SASL provenance).

Nico