Philip Brown wrote:

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:02:20PM -0700, Erast Benson wrote:
On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 22:08 -0700, ken mays wrote:
Going back to the comments about Nexenta build system:
Nexenta build system == Debian build system

The equation above means that NexentaOS following
Debian Policy[1] as close as possible. This is done on purpose.
Since a) we now can collaborate with Debian community and push our
changes upstream; b) we can easily migrate huge amount of packages under
NexentaOS APT repository.

The thing about all that, is that it forces the machine to be closer and
closer to a linux machine, until eventually, it becomes nothing more than a
linux machine with a user-invisible solaris kernel.

Gong! -- You violated my pet peeve -- one of the two[1] flagrant abuses of the word Linux.

Your punishment: 1000 sentences:

Nexenta boxes are Debian/Nevada machines, they are not "Linux machines".
Nexenta boxes are Debian/Nevada machines, they are not "Linux machines".

:-)

Eric

[1] The other one is using "Linux Community" to refer to all users
and implementors of open-source and open operating systems --
e.g. "{Net,Open,Free}BSD users are part of `The Linux Community';
as are all implemetors of Apache and MySQL systems, etc. etc"

In constrast, one of the core (unwritten, I guess) principles about
packaging at blastwave, is to provide all the free stuffs, while still
keeping everything firmly  sticking to SOLARIS/SVR4 policy. Not Debian policy.