Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:
> On 6/4/06, Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Joerg Schilling wrote:

>> years ago
>> are
>> Sun as a
>> >
>> > This is what I did tell everybody already in the late 1990.
>> > We need to approach students at the universities because the
>> > students od today are the decision makers of tomorrow.
>> >
>> > But unfortunately the situation has become so bad now that Sun would
>> need
>> > to agressivly approach the people in the univsersities who are
>> responsible
>> > for the computer pools to make Solaris be present again in the
>> universities.
>>
>> We are making progress. I see the guys in China have been busy lately
>> with respect to OpenSolaris in universities:
>> http://blogs.sun.com/joeyguo.
>>
>> Joey has lots of pics and info about what's going on. Glenn and Teresa
>> were there recently, too. When I move to Japan, I hope to get closely
>> involved with community building at universities throughout Asia.
>>
> What about south america? ;)
>
> nacho

Oh, I think there are massive community building opportunities in South
America. Whenever anyone goes to Brazil, for example, they seem to be extremely
impressed. I don't know much about the region myself, but just observing the
Java community there gives me great hope. I see that Jonathan was there
recently and met up with the OpenSolaris user group
http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan?entry=brazil, and Steve Lau was there recently
for FISL. Perhaps I'll get to visit some day, too. :)

This thread started out with Sun losing a customer. Ok, that's fair. We win, we
lose. But a lot of the conversation has focused on Linux or IBM or the fact
that Sun messed up. Ok, fair enough, I suppose. But a lot of that is history,
and some things *are* starting to go our way now.

Personally, IBM and Linux impress the hell out of me. I've been the recipient
of some of IBM's market moves on multiple programs (before OpenSolaris), and
those guys are more than a challenge to handle. How can I not respect such
execution? And my respect for Linux only grows as I experience the challenges
of working in a community environment and trying to help build a community
while living inside a large corporation. Not to mention all the engineering
challenges (most of which I miss) of actually opening all this stuff under a
pretty large spotlight. The Linux guys have built a successful global
community, and I think we can learn a great deal from them.

I also don't think there's a need to criticize Sun's competitors (leave that to
the Sun execs ... that's what they get paid for :)) because I just think it's a
distraction from our own operations. For OpenSolaris (and Sun's Solaris
product) to be competitive, the focus needs to be on community building --
which is what I tell everyone inside Sun, by the way. Look ... we're supposed
to be dead, remember? We were poked fun of, our very existence was denied, and
most observers sitting on the sidelines predicted our failure not very long
ago. How times have changed. The OpenSolaris community proved them *all* wrong.

Joerg and Thomas are correct to point out the university issue, but things will
turn around. Inside Sun, this is being taken seriously. In fact, education is
an area of specific focus on our team via Teresa and Patrick. I think they've
done a really good job this year, and I was just trying to reflect that in
pointing to Joey's blog. Teresa recently gave me an OpenSolaris curriculum (a
really big book) that they are using at some of the universities in China
because I was going to give a talk to a group of Chinese execs at Sun's
customer briefing center. It turned heads, believe me. At that moment, it hit
me ... they are *teaching* OpenSolaris now. We've been open for just one year,
and people are *teaching* our stuff.

Sun is not always the only answer here in terms of competing with IBM or HP or
whoever or going back to the universities or whatever market. Without the
community -- us -- Sun wouldn't be able to do nearly as much with Solaris as it
can now. The product needs the community and the community needs the product.
It's one story now.

Jim