On 17/06/06, Peter Tribble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 03:16, David J. Orman wrote:
> For goodness sake, I've got two FreeBSD boxes doing all my web serving
> because I didn't want to go through the hassle of hand compiling
> apache/php/modules/mysql/postgresql/etc (not to mention it was a mess
> to even try,

You're kidding right? Or perhaps not.

Apart from the fact that compiling up a stack like that is trivial
anyway, I absolutely would make sure I would manage critical
components like that myself. Especially on systems that try to
manage software for you - apart from the fact that it's unlikely
to be configured the way you want or need, the risk of it randomly
changing things outside my control is way too high.

Have you used FreeBSDs ports tree ? Gives you the flexibility of source
compiles with the ease of a (decent - heh, no offense) package manager.

http://number9.hellooperator.net/