Dennis Clarke wrote:

Two things come to mind right away :

(1) The only "Rich" that has meaning in this OpenSolaris Community is
    Rich Teer.  Mr Green, as far as I know, has never made an appearance
    here. So I don't know which end of the dog is wagging the tail here.
If you follow the link, you'll see I was talking about Rich Green, Sun's VP of Software. Sorry to confuse.....

    Is the OpenSolaris project simply a corporate extension of agenda
    from the halls of the executive level? The GPLv3 decision will be
    made NOT by this community or the CAB but by Sun Microsystems Inc.
    and her officers.
If the GPLv3 decision were to be made exclusively by Sun, I would not be having this conversation with you now. We would just make it and be done. But that's not what I'm doing. I'm talking with you first.

    Such a move would, in my mind, toss the OpenSolaris Charter and
    Governance out the window.
I agree, which is why I want to start this conversation now, here in the public.
(2) Based on my concerns expressed above would an opinion from the
    unwashed masses have any value?
Yes. If they didn't, I wouldn't be talking to you. It's pretty damn easy, and certainly much faster, for me to just make a decision and then execute on it. If that's what I wanted to do, that's what I would do. But that's not OpenSolaris, and not what we, Sun, committed to doing when we started all of this. We're involving you. That's why I want to know if you think dual-licensing is a good idea or not.......

--
Stephen Harpster
Director, Open Source Software