--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Perhaps so; but we don't want to compromise o quality :-)
>
> I think, though, that you would need the "baptism by fire" first;
> a bit of a Catch-22, but in my experience it was a real eye opener.

I feel maybe we're getting closer to the issue. I think a lot of
people are put off by the perceived complexity of submitting code to
OpenSolaris. I also think that not compromising on quality is a good
goal, but that you have to understand that the community only
produces Very Good Code only through an iterative process. I think it
has to start with "barely works", proceed to "works in most cases",
on to "works all the time on all platforms",  followed by "we made it
relatively fast" to finally "it's screaming fast". I think that
expecting one person to follow through from start to finish by
himself is too harsh, and only a few very motivated people will do
it. I think you need to look at something like Debian, maybe having a
unstable release, where everybody and their brother can go check in
code that may break stuff, and then the community members can come in
and find bugs, talk about them, fix them, and encourage/support each
other. That would, I think, really chafe the Sun Engineering Way, but
I am fairly confident it would get more people involved, regardless
of license.

As far as the patent/NDA encumbered libs, can could OpenSolaris
Unstable even run without them, or with empty/minimal functionality
wrappers? I'm asking because someone will want to compile code
locally and see if it even runs before sending in diffs.

Also, I would look at allowing people to check in either x86 or sparc
code, letting the community work on the other. As someone else
mentioned, I imagine very few people will have both types of
machines.

Thoughts?

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell