--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >I feel maybe we're getting closer to the issue. I think a lot of
> >people are put off by the perceived complexity of submitting code
> >OpenSolaris. I also think that not compromising on quality is a
> good
> >goal, but that you have to understand that the community only
> >produces Very Good Code only through an iterative process. I think
> it
> >has to start with "barely works", proceed to "works in most
> cases",
> >on to "works all the time on all platforms",  followed by "we made
> it
> >relatively fast" to finally "it's screaming fast". I think that
> >expecting one person to follow through from start to finish by
> >himself is too harsh, and only a few very motivated people will do
> >it. I think you need to look at something like Debian, maybe
> having a
> >unstable release, where everybody and their brother can go check
> in
> >code that may break stuff, and then the community members can come
> in
> >and find bugs, talk about them, fix them, and encourage/support
> each
> >other. That would, I think, really chafe the Sun Engineering Way,
> but
> >I am fairly confident it would get more people involved,
> regardless
> >of license.
>
> At Sun we have no tolerance for "works some of the time" or even
> "works in most cases" code.  At least not in the main branch.

What I mean was
  --Works in x86 32bit but not in 64bit, and not in Sparc
  --Works with Bash but not ksh
  --Works with single core but not dual or even 8 cores
  --Works with cli but crashes X Window
etc.

> This is why we have "projects" which are by and large experimental
> branches.

Can a "project" be long-lived enough to allow for long-term
development by a largish team (like doing an 12 month project for a
team of 15 without getting hopelessly away from the main branch?

> In the main branch, I can't see any reason for code which does not
> work.

Could you see dog-slow code (but working correctly) code in the main
branch? For example, a utility written in Python rather than C/C++?

> When we created the development process, we very much went for a
> "cut to size" approach; the bigger the project the bigger the
> overhead;
> consider it a flat rate tax.  ksh93 is huge as a project and so it
> pays a large tax; changes limited to a few lines pay a much smaller
> tax (though there's a minimum fee, I would gather)

I see.

> >As far as the patent/NDA encumbered libs, can could OpenSolaris
> >Unstable even run without them, or with empty/minimal
> functionality
> >wrappers? I'm asking because someone will want to compile code
> >locally and see if it even runs before sending in diffs.
>
> You will need and can have the binary.

Could you humor me and tell me, in your opinion, what a team composed
 entirely of non-Sun people would have to do to reverse-engineer the
binary-only code? Pull a samba?

> >Also, I would look at allowing people to check in either x86 or
> sparc
> >code, letting the community work on the other. As someone else
> >mentioned, I imagine very few people will have both types of
> >machines.
>
> I think there's supposed to be a test pool in future.

I see.

Thanks for the comments.

Chris Mahan
818.943.1850 cell