Patrick Finch wrote:

 > I checked http://docs.opensolaris.org/ and
 > http://www.opensolaris.org/docs but there wasn't anything there. I
 > think we really need a newbie portal. (and link to it from everywhere)

I totally agree: this is no criticism of what OpenSolaris.org has become, but it resembles http://www.tux.org/ more than http://www.linux.org/ or http://www.ubuntu.com.

There is lots of interest in OpenSolaris out there, and I think that we increasingly need to have a newbie portal or similar.

Patrick

There is a lot of interest, that's for sure -- especially in emerging market areas. And as we grow there will be a need to take a pretty complex offering -- OpenSolaris -- and explain it to new people face to face or via opensolaris.org or via additional sites.

We already have some areas on opensolaris.org that attempt to do that: the Marketing Community and the the User Group Community should actually lead here. The Starter Kit project has helped a great deal recently, as has the Docs Community and the Edu Community. And the Country Portals are starting to come online now to help bridge the language barrier. And take a look at the road map: http://opensolaris.org/os/about/roadmap/ We've come a long way.

We need to keep in mind that OpenSolaris didn't simply open on June 14, 2005. That's when the opening /began/ and it continues today. Many things being discussed now were brought up years ago but perhaps there wasn't interest or consensus or resources or time or other things needed to come first at the time. We've had to make choices all along the way.

I'm struck by this constant comparison to Linux we are going through recently. I remember when we took great pains to not compare ourselves to Linux for fear of getting into some sort of silly competitive battle. I suppose that's evolution, who knows. But I agree in general that we as a community have grown to the point where we can start addressing more levels in the community. Newbies, as you say. :) By the way, earlier today we crossed 50,000 people registered on the site. We are diversifying indeed.

Jim
--
Jim Grisanzio, Sr. Program Manager, OpenSolaris Engineering
http://blogs.sun.com/jimgris